Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 01:41 PM

Default delay compensation during recording?

i leve my delay compensation on all the time whether i am recording or mixing. since PT is my mixer, i bring in clean templates for every session and my headphone mixes are routed out of my 192. on those tracks, delay compensation is turned off so there is no delay with the person on the mic hearing themselves, talkback from me, etc.. someone complained of hearing a delay once and i finally got it nailed down to the delay of the speaker output in my control room feeding into the talkback mic when i have it opened, hence the person talking in the booth hears themselves thru the headphone bus with delay comp turned off and the speakers blead thru the talkback at the same time with a bit of a delay. it is a bit of a mild annoyance, especially with grumpy talent. do i need to turn my delay comp off durring recording and back on when mixing? hopefully this makes sense...

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 08-29-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Re: delay compensation during recording?

Hi,

You need to turn ADC off when recording! even if you disable ADC on the vocal bus and the monitor mix sends bus, it will make no difference once the track is running! as any track that has a plugin inserted will make the whole session run in advance by the longest reported delay amount. your singer will be singing in real time and the session will be playing slightly in advance to compensate for the tracks that have plugs inserted.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Hi,

You need to turn ADC off when recording! even if you disable ADC on the vocal bus and the monitor mix sends bus, it will make no difference once the track is running! as any track that has a plugin inserted will make the whole session run in advance by the longest reported delay amount. your singer will be singing in real time and the session will be playing slightly in advance to compensate for the tracks that have plugs inserted.

Chris
i am working with voice talent for radio and tv, not singers, so timing is not an issue like it would be with music. and the prblem is not when it is running, but when we are sitting idle and talking back n forth. i understand the session is delayed by the longest delay amount, and i guess what i was trying to figure out is what the normal routine is for most of you - which sounds like you do turn it off when recording, back on when mixing? i jump back and forth so much between recording and mixing that i really prefer to leave it on, and this is really a minor inconvenience only when the talkback is open, so if there is no real trick for this other than turning delay comp off, i think they will just have to live with it

i heard it myself and the delay is minimal and only when they talk when i have the talkback mic open, and only a very few get all worked up over it. i just have to be conscious of having the talkback open only when we need to talk to them to keep those few from getting all bent out of shape

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Chris
So if you keep ADC on during overdubbing you will get overdubbed tracks that are out of sync? I thought ADC adjusted the new tracks to the right position in the track once recorded?
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 08-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I thought ADC adjusted the new tracks to the right position in the track once recorded?
as far as i know, this is correct - when recording, ADC gets turned off on a rec enabled track. the moment you turn off the rec button on that track, the ADC kicks on (unless you manually turn it off), so in effect ADC puts that track in time where it should be.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I thought ADC adjusted the new tracks to the right position in the track once recorded?
This is correct.

Danny speaks
Old 08-30-2006, 01:06 PM

There is an option in the i/o dialog that can be checked on/off (Input/Output).

Works great and I keep ADC on all the time.

That was one of the first things I tested when I got HD, and when it worked, I grinned from ear to ear and said... Fiiiiiinalllly.

- p