Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2000, 08:25 PM

Default MAC buying advice

I'm getting ready to get into Pro Tools. I'm currently a PC person but I want to get into MAC and start my project studio. I wanna start off the Digi001. And be able to burn CD's. I may also want to get into some video editing,too (not sure)
Not knowing much at all about Apple's, what should be the minimum requirements in a G4 to get me going good right off the bat. (i.e. processor, SCSI, memory, drives, storage, etc.
I want to do this real bad, but I don't have the knowledge of MAC's yet.
Thanks
Matt
Old 07-06-2000, 10:10 PM
Avid

Default Re: MAC buying advice

MattStrat
Cool, take the dive! The link below is our
compatibilty documents. You can start there
pick your system and see the minimum requirments. http://www.digidesign.com/compato/index.html
Also visit http://www.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/configurator.pl
MJ
Digidesign tech support

[This message has been edited by TechSupt (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old 07-07-2000, 08:43 PM

Thx,
I hope I can figure it all out. I know plenty when it comes to audio gear and recording, but when you throw Apples into it........then I'm shakey.

MattStrat
Old 07-09-2000, 12:25 AM

Hey Matt - I guess it really depends on how much cash your able to spend ... & remember if you choose the 001 the computer is supplying all the DSP (hence the term native system), so more really is better in this instance. I'm using a G4 500mhz mac with 384mb of ram, 10gb system drive & a dedicated 28gb audio drive - which pretty much is a must (both ATA66's that work great) & a Yamaha 6416 cd burner which is the only SCSI device on my system plus JAM v2.5 cd burning software - & you can really get alot out of it, but there are many people using 400's & 450's with great success ... I guess it depends on your needs & the type of music you'll be doing, track count, # of plug-ins etc. You can configure a build to order on the Apple site www.apple.com leaving out the stuff you don't need, then shop around for a 2nd hard drive & more RAM to get some better prices & install them yourself (which is a piece of cake), this will save you pretty much $$, which you can use to get some higher quality plug-ins. Also check out www.powermax.com - you can get the same bto as apple & save the sales tax (if your not in Oregon). Some other places to shop for RAM & HD's are www.macwarehouse.com & WWW.macmall.com - but go for it - it's a great system - very flexible & will serve you well especially if you know audio already.
Best of luck
crow
Old 07-09-2000, 07:37 AM

I worked with Powermax and found them to be familiar with digidesign products, and knowledgeable about what ought to work together for a 001 system. They have worked with several audio places who sell digi.

But as far as sales tax: There is none in Oregon, but because they have a store in Washington, where I live, they had to charge me state sales tax. Ironic, ain't it?

calden
Old 07-09-2000, 09:38 AM

You can easily get by on a lesser G4 system - probably even a G3. All of that info is on Digi's tech pages... But I can tell you that the lowest end G4 does a great job for my home studio projects. I do recommend 256 megs of ram. I own a LaCie CD burner & I'm very happy with it.

------------------
Old 07-12-2000, 03:42 PM

Hi,

I'm getting ready to invest in a Digi 001 system and am in need of a little advice...

Please advise whether it is better to put together a Mac or PC system. I'm currently a PC user, but need to upgrade to a new computer either way. Is there a distinct set of advantages to either platform? It seems that Macs are a lot more expensive and I would be able to use a PC for a lot of other non-related apps, but I see so many Mac users that I'm thinking there has to be some clear cut advantages to the Apples. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks =-)
Old 07-17-2000, 08:53 PM

Hi Matt,

Even I have a cool Project Studio Setup. Which i read many many articles and maganizes which helped me to setup a Cool Project Studio. Well, I recently purchased a G4 400MHz, 192 MB RAM (Suggested by DigiDesign) and 9.1 GB external Ultra Wide SCSI Hard Disk for Audio Recording. So I use 2-ADAT's and the Digi001, that's really a cool setup. Even i wanted to now use my Machince for Video Editing using a Pinnacle DC 30 Plus to capture Video & Mix , Edit the Audio portion in PRO-TOOLS LE! then combine them both and create a music Video or any commercials etc..!! I also own a PC , but I love MAC , its really faster than the PC. Its worth going for a MAC. All the best for your Project Studio Setup , Go ahead.!