Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 09:57 PM

Default adding external hard drive

My powerbook g4 hard drive is 40g and only has 8g left so I would like to buy an external hard drive for not only Pro Tools but for all the other files I have (iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, etc).

Just wondering if there is any recamendation as far as Firewire vs USB, I would think Firewire is faster?....any particular brands?

It looks like buying an INTERNAL 200 or 300g($50-$130) drive and mounting it in one of those boxes($35) you can buy would be the cheapest rather than getting a regular external. Any difference in speed? Also wondering what type of specs I should look for, seek time, rpm, etc?
Some of the models I am looking at are below:
Seagate 200 GB hard drive
Compusa $49
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...9209&pfp=srch1

Western Digital 300 GB hard drive
Best Buy $129
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395865274

Maxtor 200 GB internal hard drive
Office Depot $90

I am also wondering how I would set it up with all my other files?....Should the programs be on the computer's drive and the files saved to the external or vica versa? I heard something about saving processing power by doing this?

any info would be very appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: adding external hard drive

Go Firewire, it all depends on the case too, more so than the drive brand in my experience. THe drives that lay on the side as opposed to flat seem to work best also if the case has decent ventilation also helps. Then again some cases have no fan and seem to run fine and quite toboot.

Put all application files on the internal system drive, all session files in the external or internal work drive. You may also want to consider another internal drive as a work drive, it'll be cheaper. The advantage of an external is portablility.

RS
Old 10-15-2005, 03:49 PM

thanks for the reply.

I have a laptop so I can't add another internal, thats why I am looking at external.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:09 PM

Certain drives are better for audio work. Specifically, those with the Oxford 911 chip, if we're talking FW400. Many audio folks use LaCie, Rocstor, OWC or Glyph. There's a couple others. Be sure you get an 8mb buffer. You can get enclosures with the Oxford chip so you can still go that route if you want.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:25 AM

thanks for the reply even audio!
Quote:
Certain drives are better for audio work. Specifically, those with the Oxford 911 chip, if we're talking FW400.
-never heard of that? It has to do with the case, not the actual drive?....if you can elaborate on that or let me know where i can find some info, it would be appreciated. I tried to google it, seems like those cases are a bit more expensive, $85 and higher? Just wondering the benefits of this chip?

Quote:
Many audio folks use LaCie, Rocstor, OWC or Glyph. There's a couple others. Be sure you get an 8mb buffer. You can get enclosures with the Oxford chip so you can still go that route if you want.

I have heard of LaCie, which is reasonably priced. I know Glyph's are the best but are a bit out of my price range. Do you think the brands I listed in my first post would be ok for audio/video? I found most of them in the Sunday paper. I am on a budget but I don't want to go to cheap, LOL.

any info would be appreciated, thanks again.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:54 AM

I havent had any problems with my iomega 160meg HDD- it was only £99 too. You can pick them up from the apple online store: its firewire and simple to set up.