Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2023, 03:26 AM

Default AudioSuite > Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode?

Is it possible in an AudioSuite plugin to have a combo of Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode?

As soon as I switch to Multi-Input Mode, it automatically swaps to Entire Selection.

Conversely, if I then select Clip by Clip, it automatically swaps to Mono Mode.

I am trying to normalise a bunch of Clips, whilst keeping the left/right balance but can not find a way to do it across a number of different Clips. Been many years since I have needed to do this, but I recall this was possible - perhaps not?
Old 04-19-2023, 10:06 AM

Default Re: AudioSuite > Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode?

Are the clips on separate tracks with varying lengths? Multi-Mono or Interleaved session?

Probably, I would consolidate first. Entire Selection instead of clip by clip make sense if clips and tracks aren't strongly related.

OR-- why doesn't clip by clip work? Single clips in single tracks with single pan knobs? Ignore the routing, and normalize clip by clip, maybe.

Multi Input mode could make a bunch of stereo or surround files with a bunch of empty channels. Not that you shouldn't ever want that, but I'd say it is just a little peculiar to me and not a default.

Page 975 in the current Reference Guide is where they discuss AudioSuite Processing. Chapter 43.

It refers in particular to Mono, Stereo, and Multi Modes. That part might interest you.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 04-19-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Are the clips on separate tracks with varying lengths? Multi-Mono or Interleaved session?

Probably, I would consolidate first. Entire Selection instead of clip by clip make sense if clips and tracks aren't strongly related.

OR-- why doesn't clip by clip work? Single clips in single tracks with single pan knobs? Ignore the routing, and normalize clip by clip, maybe.

Multi Input mode could make a bunch of stereo or surround files with a bunch of empty channels. Not that you shouldn't ever want that, but I'd say it is just a little peculiar to me and not a default.

Page 975 in the current Reference Guide is where they discuss AudioSuite Processing. Chapter 43.

It refers in particular to Mono, Stereo, and Multi Modes. That part might interest you.
This is the most pertinent to me part.

“Is it possible in an AudioSuite plugin to have a combo of Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode?”

Thanks and all, however your suggestions are not relevant to me in this case.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:33 PM

I asked questions because it is unclear what your goal even is.

I no longer care though. Whatever
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 04-19-2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
This is the most pertinent to me part.

“Is it possible in an AudioSuite plugin to have a combo of Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode?”

Thanks and all, however your suggestions are not relevant to me in this case.
I don't understand either. It maybe a limitation of the plugin you are using which you didn't say what it was.

Is the plugin even built to do what you want.
Almost every plugin
Old 04-20-2023, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
I don't understand either. It maybe a limitation of the plugin you are using which you didn't say what it was.

Is the plugin even built to do what you want.
It seems odd to me, but perhaps there is a reason I am not aware of why it behaves like this.

All the info is in my original post.

Simply put, I can not have both Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode
Old 04-20-2023, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
It seems odd to me, but perhaps there is a reason I am not aware of why it behaves like this.

All the info is in my original post.

Simply put, I can not have both Clip by Clip & Multi-Input Mode

Hi Chevron,

You said you want to normalize, but not which Plugin you are using for this.
The options and combinations available vary across the individual plugins and your selection in the timeline.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Rost View Post
Hi Chevron,

You said you want to normalize, but not which Plugin you are using for this.
The options and combinations available vary across the individual plugins and your selection in the timeline.
Hey, and thanks.

Just the standard Avid Normalize.

I have 100-plus Audio Clips with varying peak levels that I want to normalise individually across a number of tracks. Obviously Entire Selection is not appropriate, and in Clip by Clip mode you can not have Multi Input Mode, only Mono Mode - so the left/right balance gets normalised individually.

Perhaps there is a reason that both Clip by Clip, and Multi-Mode are not possible to have together that I am unaware of. Or perhaps it is a bug as I thought this was accessible years ago.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:49 AM

You could try Object Grabber Mode for the process, but the only reliable way I've found to Normalize hundreds of files is to process stereo clips individually with the help of a key/mouse automator app. MuGaa recorder is the one I use.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopzilla2 View Post
You could try Object Grabber Mode for the process, but the only reliable way I've found to Normalize hundreds of files is to process stereo clips individually with the help of a key/mouse automator app. MuGaa recorder is the one I use.
Thanks, good thinking and I did try it - however the separate Clips still get treated as an Entire Selection.

I think the problem with trying it my way, is that being in Clip by Clip forces the Normalize plugin into Mono Mode.

The ultimate aim is to increase the loudness that will vary from clip to clip even though the target loudness normalisation will be the same value for all selected clips. Whilst also keeping the left/right balance of course...

Currently scratching my head.