View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Wildcard Bill

Quote:
My first post to the duc. I've been learning a lot here (Thanks!!). My proposed upgradeable quad system for review:
Excellent. Lets see if we can knock the price down a bit on your system so you can get that second CPU.

First off, Let me know what you are going to use your system for and what type of plug-ins you will be running like BFD, softsynths etc. This info will be important. Also, are you going to use any 3rd party DSP cards such as the UAD-1 or Powercore etc?

Quote:
MB: Asus K8N-DL dual socket 940 $235
Good. The onboard firewire works with this system.

Quote:
CPU: (1) Opteron 265 $330
Good. Two would be best.

Quote:
Video: Geforce 6600GT 128MB PCI Express x16 $120
I'd go with the Asus N6600 because we already know it works with my Tyan board and guitardom's Asus board. And when you think about it, an Asus board will work best with an Asus graphics card. Less problems for driver conflicts etc.

Quote:
Case: ASPIRE X-CRUISE $70
You could probably find a cheaper generic case but make sure you get the dimensions of that Asus board from their website to see if it will fit.

Quote:
Power Supply: OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI 520W $135
Good. Depending what you are going to have in your computer, you could aslo get by with the 420W version of the Powerstream.

Quote:
Memory: (3)512MB OCZ CAS2 PC3200 ECC 3X80 = $240
Use the same memory that I have on my list. You only need 2G. It has proven to work with the Tyan and Asus board.

Quote:
HDs: (2) Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V250F0 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 88x2= $166
These should work. You may want to get the smallest drive you can for your C drive.

Quote:
DVD: LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE $40
Yep.

Quote:
Input: Belkin Wireless Keyboard & Mouse $30
You could probably save some bucks here and get USB versions of both.

Quote:
Total: $1366
Your price quotes seem a bit steep. If $1400 is your budget we could probably get the second CPU for your system within this price point. Check out www.newegg.com and definitely www.pricewatch.com

Quote:
PT Rig: PT M-Powered 7.1 / ProjectMix I/O
You'll be the first with this setup.

Quote:
Good. I also highly recommend Acronis True Image so you can create restoration images of your system at various points. (trust me on that one )

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit