Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2002, 07:57 PM

Default MBox Setup

I need to use ProTools to a non PCI Mac. MBox is the first available product but it's not clear to me how it works.

I want to be able to do the following:
- Connect up one mic and stereo inputs from a keyboard
- I don't want to swap cables in and out
- Record into ProTools either the keyboard or mic, but I don't need to record both at once
- Monitor the stereo keyboard and Mic at the same time when not using ProTools

The keyboard has S/PDIF out but the MBox won't allow simultaneous analog and digital inputs (it's always something with Digidesign).

This is what I'm proposing to do:
- Connect the mic up to one input
- Connect the stereo keyboard to the inserts

This should allow recording the keyboard or the mic one at a time, and allow monitoring both with the Mic mixed into one channel of the keyboard. Is this correct ? Any other suggestions for connecting a mic and a stereo keyboard to ProTools (it has to be ProTools) on a Mac that doesn't have a PCI slot but does have FireWire and USB ?

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Re: MBox Setup

If you don't want to keep patching in and out of the Mbox, and you don't expect to want to record keys and mic simultaneously, then get an inexpensive patchbay. (dbx or re'an TRS bay) then you can just patch into the bay what you want to go into PT.

This would also give you an easy way to keep a CD player, DAT deck, etc, hooked up always too.

Connect the outputs of PT (Mbox) to the bay as well then go to your amp or powered speakers.

Handy and easy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]