Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM

Default Randomly distorting playback?! HELP!

Hey Guys,

I am experiencing severely distorted playback for no apparent reason in PT HD 11.0.2. It sounds just like its been slammed though a bitcrusher so I suspect it is some sort of sampling issue maybe? It comes on randomly and often and its disturbing my workflow so I am back on 10 for the time being. This is happening with the same consistency on both my work machines

Its important to note that as soon as I go into audio and midi setup and change the sample rate, PT gives me a warning saying it cant change the sample rate but the problem then mysteriously disappears.

-eric
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Randomly distorting playback?! HELP!

I have the same issue, Eric. I get horrible distortion and I have to quite PT 11 and re-enter the session. That usually works but I get the feeling itd won't be long before I must upgrade some of my components. I'm running an underpowered system, as you can see below. I'm okay as long as I don't use too many tracks, VIs, and plugins.
I'm sure most of the nice folks who offer advice here will want to know more about your system. Check out the link, "Help us Help You" at the top of this page. Then list as much information as you can about your system setup.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 PM

Do these come in extremely loud blasts of noise? I've had that a couple times.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
I have the same issue, Eric. I get horrible distortion and I have to quite PT 11 and re-enter the session. That usually works but I get the feeling itd won't be long before I must upgrade some of my components. I'm running an underpowered system, as you can see below. I'm okay as long as I don't use too many tracks, VIs, and plugins.
I'm sure most of the nice folks who offer advice here will want to know more about your system. Check out the link, "Help us Help You" at the top of this page. Then list as much information as you can about your system setup.
Been a while since I was on this forum so thanks for the reminder about the info update, everything should be visible now. I am relived I am not the only one with this issue but I am sorry about your difficulties.
OS X (10.13.4)
RME Fireface UFX
Protools HD 11.3.2
Old 06-26-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
Do these come in extremely loud blasts of noise? I've had that a couple times.
No its more like someone just un-bypassed a bit crusher on your output for no apparent reason. Its not any louder then the music but certainly much more unpleasant.
OS X (10.13.4)
RME Fireface UFX
Protools HD 11.3.2
Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 AM

Stupid question. Your not demoing a plugin are you? Some plugins give out a harsh distorted sound in demo mode.
Like I said, stupid question.

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 PM

So this just happened to me tonight. Maybe reading this jinxed me. Just working along, session is pretty big. For feature film. I didn't even load anything new, even removed a couple plugs, but what did do was go through a lot of custom Massive patches. I was getting this bit crushing sound. CPU Errors and Video could not playback errors. The only thing that stopped it and allowed me to work was remove the Massive that I was messing with and load a new one.

I have ignore cpu errors checked. So what I think happened is my messing with Massive patches caused the AAE to get sand in it's…

Pretty odd, past week it's been fairly smooth working. A few odd crashes. Pro Tools, the fickle lady.

;P
Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
Stupid question. Your not demoing a plugin are you? Some plugins give out a harsh distorted sound in demo mode.
Like I said, stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all but I am currently not demoing anything no.
OS X (10.13.4)
RME Fireface UFX
Protools HD 11.3.2
Old 06-27-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
So this just happened to me tonight. Maybe reading this jinxed me. Just working along, session is pretty big. For feature film. I didn't even load anything new, even removed a couple plugs, but what did do was go through a lot of custom Massive patches. I was getting this bit crushing sound. CPU Errors and Video could not playback errors. The only thing that stopped it and allowed me to work was remove the Massive that I was messing with and load a new one.

I have ignore cpu errors checked. So what I think happened is my messing with Massive patches caused the AAE to get sand in it's…

Pretty odd, past week it's been fairly smooth working. A few odd crashes. Pro Tools, the fickle lady.

;P
She sure is! Since I wrote this PT has been behaving like an angle As if it sensed I was on to it

Your referring to NI´s Massive? If so, Massive is a permanent resident in most my sessions so I really hope its not that!
OS X (10.13.4)
RME Fireface UFX
Protools HD 11.3.2
Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocamycola89 View Post
Your referring to NI´s Massive? If so, Massive is a permanent resident in most my sessions so I really hope its not that!
Okay. I'm a jackass. I've known about this issue for a few months. But I'm tired, 14 hours a day on a feature will do that.

With Native HD selected, any Sound Toys plugin placed after NI Massive will cause crippling CPU spikes even with nothing in your session other then one Massive and one ST. My workaround is placing my effects for Massive on an aux and routing there.

My test was only with HDN. With Mac line out selected it's fine. People using Apollo are good too.

So that's what happened to me last night. I was tired and needed a new sound and I put a ST on the same track as NI Massive. Didn't hit me until this morning.

That's the problem with these bugs. Even if you know about them, under deadlines and lack of sleep Sh@# happens. I spent 30 min restarting etc trying to figure out what was going on even though I already knew.