Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Frequency response of HD interface

Hi all - sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere, but I could not find an answer.

What is the usable / real-world frequency response of the Avid 16 x 16 192 (HD) converter box running at 96 and/or 192 KHz? I read the published specs which advise it is 20-20KHz but I'm wondering what are the actual limits? Is there a frequency response curve published somewhere?

TIA
Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Frequency response of HD interface

I think it's capped at 20k no matter what sample rate is used. I might be wrong about this, though...
Old 03-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the reply JFreak.

I'm looking for something more than anecdote. Anyone got data?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 AM

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/produc...-I_O_13253.pdf

Frequency Response: +/- 0.05dB between 20Hz -- 20kHz

It doesn't say whether it's capped or not, but doesn't promise linearity outside 20-20
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 AM

its not capped as i can produce freq's below and above 20hz easy. i would imagine its not linear but should be pretty easy to measure for your unit outside 20/20. Best guess is conformity takes a hit outside spec.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 AM

Thumbs down Re: Frequency response of HD interface

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not looking for the published spec. I have that. I'm looking for actual measurement results.

Browniespeaks, I would test it if I could, and save myself the trouble. I have no gear with which to test the converters.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 AM

To be clear, I'm primarily concerned about the A/D converters.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 AM

Bump

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprowan View Post
To be clear, I'm primarily concerned about the A/D converters.
Just out of curiosity, why?

You're talking about frequencies outside the range of human hearing, and if some harmonics come into play they're probably washed out by the "weak link" in your audio chain.

BTW: "I want to know X because ..." esoteric questions tend to get more responses than do just a question with with no explanation...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Bill, I am always having to argue/defend/explain digital audio concepts pretty much everywhere I go. So, having actual data would be very helpful when discussing these with clients.

Apple is moving towards supporting 24/96 or 24/192 audio. Now, I think this is bunk. I personally cannot hear the difference with hypersonic sampling rates. However, if Apple does it, we'll have to support it, regardless of our beliefs or opinions. And we will need to be able to talk intelligently about it, with actual data and science to dispel the myth and opinion that runs rampant.

If converters are, for example, capped at 20Khz, then we need to know that. Or if different filters are employed at higher sampling rates, then that becomes relevant to the discussion.

Now, this is pretty interesting: I can put my hands easily on frequency response curves for a dozen tape machines that have been out of production for 20 years or more, but none exist for the world's foremost digital system?

Puzzling.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk