Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 AM

Default Intermittent Eleven Rack input

Has anyone experienced an intermittent True-Z input problem? Since I just bought the unit It may user error, but after using Eleven Rack successfully with headphones and a combo amp (not connected to Pro Tools yet) the next time I turn it on it fails. It recovers if I unplug the cable then turn the device back on. (I've checked all cables)

Since True-Z switches input components I'm thinking that there may be mechanical relay that could potentially stick.

I've really enjoyed playing with the Eleven Rack, and I'm trying to decide if I need to take the unit back for the replacement. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks.....
Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 AM

There is no mechanical switch (relay), the True-Z switching is solid state. And you would hear the relay switching if there was.

There are Eleven Rack units with clock related problems. Is yours a rev E unit? - the last digit of serial number on rear panel. If so that might be the problem and you can contact Avid support to get a fix. Search this forum for info on this ( eg search for "eleven rack", "clock" etc.). Lets avoid restarting another clock thread here. If it's not a rev E unit then you likely have a different problem. So let us know.

Will simply unplugging and replugging the Guitar get the sound back or will power cycling the Eleven rack fix it? I will be suprised if you really have to do both to fix this. If just plugging and unplugging gets sound back I would suspect a faulty front panel jack or plug connection inside the cable. If power cycling then maybe that clock problem or another electronic problem. If trying to debug you can hook up a microphone and see if that had any problems - the Eleven Rack internally shares some of the Mic and Guitar input electronics.

Obviously check your guitar and cables (as you already have done) incase they have an intermittent fault. I've been in this situation with a fairly new Strat that had a pickup that would go open circuit intermittently and naturally I started at the Eleven Rack and the pickup was the last thing I suspected/checked...

Darryl
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Intermittent Eleven Rack input

Thanks Darryl. The registration card says Rev D and the last character of the S/N is G. The unit required a power restart with the cable unplugged to clear it....... It happened 3 times and the problem has not resurfaced in the last 5 restarts so I'm hoping it is just a user error I made while exploring options.

I really appreciate the response. I'm finding that in every area of technology the user communities are the best source of information.

If I discover anything funky about this problem I'll post the findings.

Thanks again.......
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Avid

Hi Bridgepin,

As Darryl mentioned, it sounds like you might have an Eleven Rack with a bad clocking circuit. The best way to verify that is to go in to the User Options and change the internal clock between 44.1k and 48k when you're experiencing this problem. If audio comes back when changing the sample rate then you definitely have faulty unit which will need to be replaced. If so, Avid Support can help you get this resolved.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Dang guys.....You were correct. The problem returned this afternoon and, like Chris said, changing the sampling rate immediately cleared the problem.

I'll contact Avid Support.....Man this sucks, I was really starting to enjoy all the possibilities. I guess I'll just have to defer the gratification.

Thanks both for the good and timely help.

Ian
Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM

Man, here I am with a Rev D, thinking I was in the clear for potential problems!

In case something like this happens in a gig situation, does changing to a higher sample rate make it work for the time being? Are the problems only at the lower sample rates?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Avid

Bridgepin, that's a bummer, but Avid Support should take care of you.

Derker, most units that we've seen with this problem fail at 44.1k/88.2k and work at 48k/96k, but sometimes it's the opposite. Once it's working we've never seen the problem happen in the middle of using it, unless you change the sample rate, so I don't think you need to worry about it crapping out on you mid performance. It also usually happens when booting from a cold state, and not after it's warmed up.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Derker,

Chris' recommendation is right on the mark. If you need to use the 11R for a gig then set the sampling rate to 48KHz and it should get you through. At least it's working for me until I can get the box fixed or swapped.