Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2010, 12:20 AM

Exclamation What's the deal? Hey Admin!

Okay. A couple of things. First of all, the HD upgrade. It seems that Avid is doing their darnest to get HD into the hands of as many people as possible. The price is still around $7000 for an HD1 with a 192 I/O interface and an mbox 2 trade in. A "good" deal in comparison to retail for sure but still steep.

I can't think of anyone who has taken up this offer yet it is "back by popular demand"?

I think it is fairly obvious that you are trying to ditch these systems. Something is apparently on the horizon and you need to make room in your inventory. So, why not ditch those old systems at cost? You realize that when the new thing comes out, people are going to be choked that they bought a ten thousand dollar interface that is now obsolete?

Secondly, what is with Mackie having a driver allowing the Onyx i series consoles to use M-Powered? If this is not copyright/patent infringement what is it? It seems to me this is a beta to see who will bite. Well let me tell you. Let the damn cat out of the bag already! Let us LE users use PT with our preferred interfaces! Sure I will pay for a driver. Absolutely! I will even buy M-Powered but let me do it soon! As it is, I'm ready to ditch Pro Tools all together were it not for a very few features which are quickly becoming available if not already available in different formats on other already very worthy DAWs.

In short:

1) drop the price of those HD units and I will buy one. They're on their way out and we all know it. Don't make me pay a premium, you don't need to make a profit on those anymore since the next platform will probably make it seem like a toy.

2) Let me choose my own interface for LE/M-powered. It's already limited. Let me make the best of it by using my own interface.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 PM

Default Re: What's the deal? Hey Admin!

Apparently there was a reply to this and although I read it in the email, it's not posted as a reply on this thread............what the? Here is what was posted:

Quote:
I LOVE posts that start with either:

"OK...."
or
"So........"

The HD "upgrade" is a good deal...for Avid.
If you really want to go with HD, shop around. You can get better pricing, and won't have to trade in anything.
Either the OP deleted it or Admin did. If it was the OP and you have you're reasons, let me know and I will delete it again but I can see nothing offensive in it.

If it was admin that deleted it, I can't see why. There's no news here. The thing is, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a used SOFTWARE DEPENDENT hardware. I need tech support for that kind of investment.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:37 PM

I LOVE posts that start with either: "OK...." or "So........"

That's funny! I always told my kids that if they began an answer with "WELL..." that I knew it was going to be a real flimsy excuse!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
I LOVE posts that start with either: "OK...." or "So........"

That's funny! I always told my kids that if they began an answer with "WELL..." that I knew it was going to be a real flimsy excuse!!!

Your point being? That this is a flimsy argument?
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hue View Post
Apparently there was a reply to this and although I read it in the email, it's not posted as a reply on this thread............what the? Here is what was posted:

Either the OP deleted it or Admin did. If it was the OP and you have you're reasons, let me know and I will delete it again but I can see nothing offensive in it.

If it was admin that deleted it, I can't see why. There's no news here. The thing is, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a used SOFTWARE DEPENDENT hardware. I need tech support for that kind of investment.
Maybe someone simply emailed you and didn't post? or accidentally deleted their own post while editing it. I've done that before.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain the HD1 96i Combo was 4999.00-5499.00 or so if you were trading a 002 instead of a MBox. The 7000.00 figure should be HD2 and a 192 as I recall.

Somebody's buying this. Brad Lyons stated that the response has been huge from what he had seen. 192s where on national backorder because of it. Whether its current HD owners taking advantage of it and adding cards or LE owners upgrading I can't say. Forum wide I havent seen a big jump of LE people moving to HD. I suspect that a lot of the upgrade traffic is HD owners adding cards, HD owners upgrading to PCIe and selling their old PCIX cards on ebay and HD owners adding or upgrading new workstations. If you are interested in HD its a great deal.

Its extremely unlikely that the admin would have deleted a post unless it somehow violated the DUC's rules. They let a lot of stuff stay thats not always flattering.

Mackie was giving the universal driver away last I knew. No need to buy it. I am looking at a Mackie iSeries to replace my 14 Space 001 mobile rig with something more portable.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Even if the current PT HD isn't going out the window soon, it still makes sense for Avid to drop their price for it. Some real nice studios are finding very elegant alternatives to Pro Tools HD. Besides the Apogee symphony systems for MAC ( excuse me), you have lynx converters + AES16 card sysems, SSL Alpha link + madi extreme card systems, and I'm sure there's more. Add some DSP cards(UAD;Duende) and a $500 program like Sonar and you have a powerfull, low latency recording system for a pretty good price. For example:
http://virtuosoundstudio.com/
Having major studios use HD is imperative for Avid. Pro Tools HD sells ALL Pro Tools systems. What I mean is that many consumers want what the "pro's" use( there are consumers outside of the DUC). Some get HD, some get as close to it as they can with LE and M-Powered. Some even, led only by their infatuation with the Pro Tools name, get Essentials. Engineers are getting a share of the spotlight today since their is such a great media medium via the internet. People want to use the same or what they believe is the same tools as the Pro's. Plus they want to be "compatible" with the BIG studios which they may never even get to see. I don't know what AVID makes more money from, Accel cards or oxygen 25 key controllers but i do believe HD is a big reason for most of their sales. I hope I'm wrong but I have a theory that we may not see ADC in LE ever for this reason. If I were a studio owner who spent tons of money on an HD setup and I find out that a HOBO with an I7, an 003 and an ADC equiped LE can outrun me for cheap, I'm going to be *not happy*! No need for AVID to tempt them into switching. We already know how these dudes get:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...ight=masterduk
Before anyone gets crazy, yes I know there may be more advantages to HD than ADC...