Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 AM

Default No MIDI out with Pro Tools 6.4.1

I can get (& record) MIDI into Pro Tools from a MIDI keyboard. I can NOT get Pro Tools to transmit the recorded MIDI track back out through my MIDI interface.

System info:
Pro Tools 6.4.1 software (TDM Mix hardware)
Mac OS 10.3.9
Audio MIDI Setup v2.0
emagic Unitor8 Mk II MIDI interface (USB)

Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) is configured correctly. When I press the "Test Setup" button in AMS, MIDI streams to all connected MIDI devices. So it appears that Pro Tools is NOT transmitting MIDI to AMS. The MIDI Out lights on my MIDI interface show no activity, & connected MIDI devices make no sound. I have selected the correct MDI Out device in Pro Tools.

Am I missing something? Everything works fine in Logic Pro 7.1.1.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Avid

Default Re: No MIDI out with Pro Tools 6.4.1

Try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.
Thanks for your quick reply.

I followed your directions, but it didn't work. BUT I did find something interesting. It appears that the problem is not with AMS at all, but with an imported MIDI track. Non-imported MIDI tracks play just fine in Pro Tools -- they will trigger external MIDI devices & a RTAS VI plugin (Akoustik Piano). But when I export the MIDI track in Pro Tools, saving it as a type 0 MIDI file, then import that MIDI file to a new MIDI track in Pro Tools, it doesn't trigger either the external MIDI device or the RTAS VI plugin. I thought that it played the RTAS VI plugin yesterday, but maybe I'm wrong. Ironically, the imported MIDI file plays the external MIDI device perfectly in Logic Pro 7.1.1.

How can I get Pro Tools to play back imported MIDI files?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 AM

I found the answer to my own question. MIDI files exported as type 1 work just fine. Doh!