Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Pro Tools for VISTA possibly won`t be here this year.....

What do you guys think about it????......

Pro Tools 9 HD / 192io / C24
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 / 8Gb Ram
Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools for VISTA will not be here this year.....

I'm glad Digi will be focusing on other things besides supporting it. XP works fine. Why use Vista at all for an audio PC? You can build a state-of-the-art desktop on Newegg for less than $300 and you can put Vista on that. Then you can marvel at how cool alt-tabbing looks and...all those other great things that...Vista can do...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 PM

Good! XP rocks for me. I will not be jumping on the Vista bandwagon until the day Digidesign gives us a release that will not run on XP anymore. As far as the argument of, "if they support Vista 64 then we can have access to more ram for our sample based plug-ins..." statements(which I'm guilty of saying myself), well, disk streaming technology has come a very long way and there's nothing wrong with it. Also, the more ram we stuff with our BFD and other samples etc, the less we have for plug-ins in general.

One can request XP to be installed when buying a new computer. Also, XP home OEM can be found for pretty cheap these days.

I guess I just dont get this "Vista hype" for Pro Tools. My current system with XP runs like a dream. I'd rather see Digi patch some of the legacy bugs and issues before anything else.

...and as a side note, Microsoft has extended XP support until 2014. So we have no worries there.

If one likes the "pretty eye candy", run Linux with Compiz-Fusion. It destroys Vista and OSX combined for visuals with all the eye candy you ever dreamed of.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 AM

Somebody said Vista 64 ran with less CPU spikes, which means more plugs etc. THat sounds interesting to me at least. But this means that all the plugs and PT must be rewritten for 64 bit.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Somebody said Vista 64 ran with less CPU spikes, which means more plugs etc. THat sounds interesting to me at least. But this means that all the plugs and PT must be rewritten for 64 bit.
Somebody(even a few at Digi) also said that more ram wouldnt give us more plug-ins. After we bult the first few Quads and ran some benchmarks, we found that one to be untrue. Theory and "real world" when it comes to Pro Tools is always full of surprises.

For the price of Vista and your time waisted getting that thing going with PT, you can build a cheap Intel Quad for $600 keeping alot of your current computer parts and have more plug-in power than you'll ever use on a stable and reliable system using XP. I'll take stable and reliable over being a Vista beta tester.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-24-2007, 05:39 AM

There is only one reason why this makes me sad...

I was kinda hoping that we would get ADC in the next LE release... Now we aren’t going to get the next release until winter... So we are definitely won’t be getting ADC until then...

I REALLY wish digi would make an announcement about the implementation of ADC & put us out of our misery, it’s not like there are trade secrets to be divulged, everyone else has already got it for god sake... All they are doing is stopping there own loyal customers from being able to plan properly.

Do you notice that this delay is only for LE & MP, we can have vista support on HD! Are they insane? That’s the one rig I wasn’t going to try vista with... Give me strength...

N
Old 08-24-2007, 05:51 AM

I'm glad they made the announcement. Now we can stop with the Vista threads. XP works with PT and works very well. Microsoft will support XP untill 2014. Now go make some music.

Shane

Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 AM

ADC is pretty basic these days.

Looks like Protools won't catch up any more unless they do a rewrite. Hmm. Who needs Vista? Nobody.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:19 AM

Annnnd yet another thread randomly gets turned into an ADC thread! What a surprise!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 AM

Whew...boy, no Vista support 'till next year. Guess I can stop holding my breath and get back to work.

Seriously, smart move on Digi's part. No point in releasing PT for Vista when Vista itself is still a few marbles short of a full game.