Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Default Re: i heard some nice gossip

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
HD isn't the only low latency gig in town (...) Logic being the absolute DSP performance king in town, makes it really hard to screw up at 64 samples latency, even on large projects.
Except when you try to load some plugins that have larger latency than 64 samples; Waves Renaissance stuff for example, some plugs just won't fit into that kind of buffer. And when it doesn't fit, you always have to double the latency trying to get it working, which isn't nice.

With TDM you build your latency as you go, many times adding few samples here and few samples there. Naturally, those plugs having large latency will also introduce that large latency on TDM as well, but it's always EXACTLY the amount of processing you want to be using, not some randomly selected buffer that may or may not work. TDM means you always have lowest possible latency and predictable processing power; the plug isn't going to fail in the middle of the session, if it's loaded it's there and does the job as requested. No surprises there, which is good.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:44 AM

Yes. TDM is better then LE, Logic can't hang (was using L9 last night at a buddy's - after a day of working an HD3 - and it can't hang. Sorry).

The future may be native, but it ain't happening today.

I won't use an analog mixer for low latency monitoring.

I won't ping back delays to be compensated.

I won't play the native playback buffer game (like I had to in L9 last night).

PTHD just works. Sure, you become a total computer nerd figuring out which plug will tank your session or whatever, but it works.

We keep a 7.x drive and an 8x drive simultaneously. Problems in 8? Reboot into 7.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Yes. TDM is better then LE, Logic can't hang (was using L9 last night at a buddy's - after a day of working an HD3 - and it can't hang. Sorry).

The future may be native, but it ain't happening today.
In the pro studio world, yes, TDM trumps everything by miles. But what if you need to write using VIs on a lesser computer? If I only did that, any sequencer with Freeze Track and VI efficiency trumps Pro Tools. If I wasn't surrounded by rooms full of great PT engineers, Control 24s and Accel rigs, NO WAY would I tolerate Pro Tools. PT can't hang with Logic in native. Not even close.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 PM

MADI everywhere please.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
But what if you need to write using VIs on a lesser computer? If I only did that, any sequencer with Freeze Track and VI efficiency trumps Pro Tools.
+ 1.

This is the truth.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 PM

New 32b linear converters ?
Mac Pro 2x 2.66GHz 6-Core / 96 Go Ram / PE6R4-i - HD Native - Tempo Sata Pro 6Gb - PTHD : 10 / 11 /12 / Ultimate till 2022.5 - 192 i/o Digidesign - MTPAV - OSX : 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6.8 / 10.8.5 / 10.9.5 / 10.11.6 / 10.13.6 / 10.14.6 - PowerMac G4 MDD / Pro Tools HD 5.3 / 6 / 7.4x / 8
Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 AM

I also heard some nice gossip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOFZagAtDbI

MassiveMusic

SOS article