Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Please check these specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghand View Post
I have to say, HAHAHAA, do you like 6031s? Or, do you like pops and clikcs? If you do, Congratulations! You made a great choice! If you don't know what 6031 is, please just search 6031 in this forum.
Why the 6031's? I have yet to have a 6031 error (knock on wood) I would like to know in case I start getting them.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x9blade View Post
then with the help of Shane we tracked my systems problem down to a nvidea driver.

This is one reason why I ordered my computer with an ATI card.
The other is that I like ATI more.
They seem more hardcore and I would even suggest they have better written software as well.

I had a computer where I did a lot of audio for post production work (Win XP Pro).
The computer had both Avid and PT HD2 on it and we often went back and forth between Avid and PT while working on projects.
We must have burned 3-4 NVidia cards before finally getting a 70 dollar ATI. The computer has never had a glitch since then.
Why did we get all those NVidia's?
That's what was 'approved' on the Avid site.

As to my post above and not getting any 6031's, I also have ATI on my current computer.

GD
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Why the 6031's? I have yet to have a 6031 error (knock on wood) I would like to know in case I start getting them.

Please just search "6031" in this forum, you will see and know much
Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
I just ordered this HP Z800 workstation today.
Could you please take a look at the specs and tell me if it would work for HD2?

I'm not going with the Xeson X series as Digi recommends, they are still very expensive, and I know about Win7 but I'll keep my current computer and overall setup until I've thoroughly tested the new one.

Basically it's dual Xeon E5520 with 6g's of ram and an ATI Video card and two 500g hard drive. I will also add the other two hard drives I currently am using. They're 1T each.

Thank you

GD

HP Z800 Workstation
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
HP Z800 1110W 89% Efficient Chassis
HP Z800 Localization Kit
Intel® Xeon® E5520 2.26 8MB/1066 QC CPU - LOWPWR (ESTAR=DP)
Intel® Xeon® E5520 2.26 8MB/1066 QC CPU-2 LOWPWR (Must be same speed as Processor 1. ESTAR=DP)
HP Air Cooling Solution (When choosing this option, a Technical AV - Heatsink MUST be selected)
HP 2x Standard Heatsink Thermal Kit (This module is required if AIRCOOL is selected. 1st and 2nd Processor must be low power. ESTAR=DP)
ATI FirePro V3700 256MB Graphics
No Item Selected
No Item Selected
HP 6GB (6x1GB) DDR3-1333 ECC RAM (Supported only with Dual Processor. ESTAR=DP)
HP 500GB SATA 7200 1st HDD
HP 500GB SATA 7200 2nd HDD (Primary drive must be SATA)
You could've built a more powerful system for 1/4 the price(no joke). Xeon CPU's and Server boards aren't the best for PT. They just cant be fine tuned and tweaked that much. The expensive registered RAM also isn't the best for a real time app like PT and gives it no gains or benefits. I have much experience with serverboards, registered RAM and Pro Tools and it's just not a good combination for price/performance and tweakability. For the price/performance you'll be getting, it's WAY overpriced and underpowered. If it was a good combo, I'd have a 12 core rig running long ago.

Nonetheless, at quick glance you could probably get it going but it's difficult to say 100% without an exact motherboard spec. The best thing to post us is the motherboard spec and of course a full Sandra report once you have it in hand. Wipe the C drive clean as these prebuilt systems are full of junkware and cause a lot of headaches trying to get them to run with PT. Dual boot with a fresh install of XP and W7 64. Go online and get the drivers for each component directly from each manufacturers website and make sure you grab the drivers only. Dont grab beta drivers. Avoid grabbing the drivers that are packaged with other apps. Dont use the drivers on the CD/DVD that comes with it as they are older ones and almost always packaged with useless software/junkware apps that get installed unknown to the user. Find out the current BIOS for the board and then check the BIOS number on the board itself once you get it. It might need to be updated. Grab Acronis True Image, if I recall you might already have it. It will save you days of troubleshooting down the road.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-14-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
The 6031 error discussed here is more prone to PT HD on PC. It happened on many perfectly working systems after installing PT 8.0.1. Prior to that, these HD systems were rock solid. Changing the network and graphics drivers have been the cure for many, but the problem was introduced after the upgrade to 8.0.1 and these driver changes should not have been needed.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-14-2010, 07:07 AM

I realize this is an HD forum, I do find most serious errors are not specific to version, except for Hardware errors. I could not say with any knowledge of the subject, but, I would imagine the DAE engine and base code for all 3 versions is the same. Just how they interact with hardware being different. I could be wrong. But I gotta say, between you and a few other people I see here a lot have very knowledgeable answers which helps a lot. I just don't like to see posts that assume you will never be able to use a certain configuration. As Tom states a lot, if you are running a studio have a stable version running XP, sure. But I think Digi needs us guinea Pigs to figure out what the problems are.

This is not a rant, I'm just letting you know why I posted that, because I have had problems (white noise) but no errors.

Thanks for you time.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
You could've built a more powerful system for 1/4 the price(no joke). Xeon CPU's and Server boards aren't the best for PT. They just cant be fine tuned and tweaked that much. The expensive registered RAM also isn't the best for a real time app like PT and gives it no gains or benefits. I have much experience with serverboards, registered RAM and Pro Tools and it's just not a good combination for price/performance and tweakability. For the price/performance you'll be getting, it's WAY overpriced and underpowered. If it was a good combo, I'd have a 12 core rig running long ago.

Nonetheless, at quick glance you could probably get it going but it's difficult to say 100% without an exact motherboard spec. The best thing to post us is the motherboard spec and of course a full Sandra report once you have it in hand. Wipe the C drive clean as these prebuilt systems are full of junkware and cause a lot of headaches trying to get them to run with PT. Dual boot with a fresh install of XP and W7 64. Go online and get the drivers for each component directly from each manufacturers website and make sure you grab the drivers only. Dont grab beta drivers. Avoid grabbing the drivers that are packaged with other apps. Dont use the drivers on the CD/DVD that comes with it as they are older ones and almost always packaged with useless software/junkware apps that get installed unknown to the user. Find out the current BIOS for the board and then check the BIOS number on the board itself once you get it. It might need to be updated. Grab Acronis True Image, if I recall you might already have it. It will save you days of troubleshooting down the road.

Shane

Shane,

Thanks for your comments and for actually commenting on my original question and looking over the specs.

As to the processors and the HP Z800 I was trying to stay with a system that Digi has approved.

On the i7 comparison to the Xeon, I thought this was pretty informative:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/...955B.node5COMS

I will let you know what the motherboard is once I get the computer.

Thanks again

GD
Old 02-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
On the i7 comparison to the Xeon, I thought this was pretty informative:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/...955B.node5COMS
These generalities don't apply to Pro Tools though which is a whole other beast given it's real-time nature. You should still have a powerful smokin' system, but the price/performance and minimal tweak ability of server boards and registered RAM doesn't make for an ideal combo for Pro Tools. Post that Sandra when you have the computer. You'll definitely be bleeding edge with a powerful system nonetheless.

Are your HD cards PCI or PCIe?

Shane

Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM

" Are your HD cards PCI or PCIe? "

They're both PCIe

GD
Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 PM

Congrat's on the new rig!!! I was in the same boat a few months ago, and I really wanted to get a digi approved system. At least with a digi approved system, you could blame someone else if PT didn't run.

In the end, due to budget, I ended up building an i7 rig instead, one that I could I put our 2 PCIX cards in. Spent about $1300 altogether for the new computer, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. Of course, it's not digi approved though.