Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Trueverb test anyone?

Quote:
Any news on the Native LE Waves SSL Console? I'm really looking forward to your results
Didn't realize this still had to be done, I'll test them and post results today or tomorrow.

Quote:
(Do you really mean 64 tracks, I thought Music Production toolkit was 48 tracks)
He's referring to additional AUX tracks.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Allenstein Quadzilla Machine *3J Quad Debunke

Quote:
ive go gone back to the people building my QUAD
so ive talked with them and have made some changes.

CASE - Antec p180 - double checked and it fits motherboard

MOTHERBOARD - K8N-DL Dual AMD pt200 NVIDIAK8-04 Pro

CPU - Opteron Dual Core 265/boxed *2

RAM - Opteron Dual Core 265/boxed *4 - changed from kingston

HARDDRIVES -
System HD Raptor/74GB SATA150 10000rpm 16MB - partioned in 2.
audio HD Raptor/74GB SATA150 10000rpm 16MB
backup HD- Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Disk Drive 400GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache- OEM

VIDEO - VGA EN6600 TOP/TD/256MB PCIe16x 1xDVI 2x - changed from other

DVDR/CDR - Plextor PX-760A *2

POWERSUPPLY - antec Phantom 500 GB 500W ATX12V v2.01 PSU with 24pin connector (detachable 4pins for
compatability with ATX 20pin m/boards,Hybrid fan design with fanless mode for silent operation,4xSATA connectors - UPC 0761345-05501-7 - has the correct connecters checked

Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation / Zalman CNPS7700-Cu *2 /

OEM Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2b - is SP2b..the "b" is it ok..?

if your sure about the case, i assume you mean the corsair ram, your have a typo, if it is the same as listed in the first page by me and shan your cool, and sure the power supply has the 8 pin 12v, though i would recomend the ocz, your good.

the hard drives are fine of course, but tests recently have seemed to indicate the raptor's arent necessary.

but everything is correct. make sure the motherboard and video card drivers are from the website and DO NOT INSTALL THEM FROM THE CD. you can get them from the nvidia website or contact me or something.

i think sha has listed on the first page on installing software and taking images and such in the correct order for optimal performance, please go by all this, it is written up for a reason.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Any news on the Native LE Waves SSL Console? I'm really looking forward to your results
I think Bodie and Pasanta posted those in this very thread awhile back. They had insane numbers.

Quote:
(Do you really mean 64 tracks, I thought Music Production toolkit was 48 tracks)
Yes, I do mean 64 Audio tracks with the Music Production Toolkit.

You can have any combination of stereo or mono up to 48 tracks. You can have 48 stereo if you wanted.

So...if you need 56 separate mono tracks for example, then what do you do?

There are many workarounds to split the stereo tracks into mono. This is the quickest.

They might as well make it 96 mono because there is more than one way for us to break the 48 track barrier. And yes, the Quad can handle it.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I think Bodie and Pasanta posted those in this very thread awhile back. They had insane numbers.
Ok, I did a search (this thread is becoming huge! )
Pasanta got 32 tracks + 3 auxes = 175 ssl channel strips @ 1024 buffer, 24/48k session, with "only" ( ) 2Gb RAM and the 265's.

And thanks for the tip about getting more tracks out of LE
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 AM

Default Re: small problem

Shane asked me to post my findings to prove a point about following the original parts list for these quads. I had a problem where my system would freeze when swiching from session to session. it wasn't a plugin issue. It wasn't RAM. It wasn't the mobo. Turns out it was my video card ( or it's drivers.........an old ATI Radeon). So I'm running again; doing great. I never lost any performance. Just had the freezing problem. I just went and got the card and drivers speced in the original parts list and things are good.

Now.......I'm an above average computer guy. I felt comfortable giving my old video card a try. I'm aware that even though I'm trying to be cost-efficient, I'm also "testing" since I'm straying from the tried and true list. And during all my initial dverb tests and installations of software, the card thoroughly fooled me into thinking it was fine. I mean.......it's a video card nd I can see the displays...........it wasn't till later on in actual use that the problem showed up. What Shane, I believe, would like me to point out is that there are a lot of people here starting to "tinker" with the specs list for these quads. I understand that you may want to save money, something may be out of stock or you may already have some parts you feel are recyclable. If you're a reasonably techincal person and want to go for it, fine. I did. And no one could really offer me any help because I was on my own. But That was fine because I've been inside all kinds of equipment and comfortable troubleshooting. But for the newbies or even those of you who don't have the luxury of time to troubleshoot....why risk it? Really.......I mean no offense to anyone here. Some of the worlds greatest race drivers can't work on their own engines. And some of the world's best audio engineers wouldn't know how to wire up a patchbay. So there's no shame at all in being a PT guru but not understand the working of a computer. So to everyone posting here with "can I use .........instead" or ......( my personal favorite) "my computer store says THIS is better and will work"; You know what? Unless they've just started since I looked in the last week or so, there are none of the companies I know of who build turnkey systems for DAWs offering quad cores yet. And while I can't vouch for them all, I've spoken to a few of those companies through the years and they know what they're doing. Also, I don't think Digi even lists any of our quads yet in supported lists even though we've proven thet work great. So WHY would anyone trust the computer geek down at the local mall who spends his time building computers to run Doom and thinks "Fruity Loops" is a major recording platform ( no offense to anyone who uses that.....I'm sure it has it's abilities. But hopefully you can see my point between it and PT)

I guess what I'm trying to offer in a good spiritof encouragement is........unless you've got the time and money to try other parts, just follow the list. Especially if you've never done this before. There's no reason you can't just follow the list and build it; even if your a newbie. But when you stray from the path, we can only talk" with" you about what "might" be rather than "to" you about what "is". You might find a similar part cheaper. But is it cheap enough to be worth the trouble you might have or not having any input from someone else? You may have some parts you can recycle. Cases, drives, fans......things that are non-operating system and mostly hardware all generally do fine. But you stiil have to pay attention to the size, speed, etc.......they have to be reasonably close to what the quad parts list is. If you don't know that or can't find out, heck........probably just if you have to ask..........it most likely means you should consider avoiding the reuse of those parts. For all things though that install a driver into the OS........come on. Do you really think you're gonna improve on what's already been tested? Opteron 265 through the pending 290 and 4GB of RAM is as far (as what we're building in this thread) goes. Drive speed, power supplies, this brand as opposed to that brand of the same thing......you're really not going to improve on what the original list is. You're only going to get the same performance or worse than the original list; not better.

So.........why bother? Just follow the list, get the parts and get to work.

I hadn't planned on writing a book here. I'm sure this is more than Shane even requested. But. I mean it in the best of spirits. I just want everyone to have a trouble-free system so we can all just make music.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:31 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Pasanta got 32 tracks + 3 auxes = 175 ssl channel strips @ 1024 buffer, 24/48k session, with "only" ( ) 2Gb RAM and the 265's.

That test was done before I actually had the quad "tweaked" correctly. Also, I've since changed to the same video card and drivers as Shane. I now get 32 + 4 auxes full of SSL Channel strips and 2 more on a 5th aux. I still have "only" ( ) 2Gb RAM
Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM

Check this out....

NVIDIA SUPPORTS QUAD CORES

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: small problem

Well said Pasanta!!!

If everyone only new all the headaches and late nights that Shane and I went through 9 months ago in coming up with this bullet proof system.
My only hope is that they would just stick to the list so that they won't have any problems.

Thank You again for the post.

BTW the spec the Intel Woodcrest Quad should be done by the weekend.

Happy Quading everyone!!

Yoda

Old 08-10-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
shan and all other helpers,

ive go gone back to the people building my QUAD
so ive talked with them and have made some changes.

CASE - Antec p180 - double checked and it fits motherboard

MOTHERBOARD - K8N-DL Dual AMD pt200 NVIDIAK8-04 Pro

CPU - Opteron Dual Core 265/boxed *2

RAM - Opteron Dual Core 265/boxed *4 - changed from kingston

HARDDRIVES -
System HD Raptor/74GB SATA150 10000rpm 16MB - partioned in 2.
audio HD Raptor/74GB SATA150 10000rpm 16MB
backup HD- Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Disk Drive 400GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache- OEM

VIDEO - VGA EN6600 TOP/TD/256MB PCIe16x 1xDVI 2x - changed from other

DVDR/CDR - Plextor PX-760A *2

POWERSUPPLY - antec Phantom 500 GB 500W ATX12V v2.01 PSU with 24pin connector (detachable 4pins for
compatability with ATX 20pin m/boards,Hybrid fan design with fanless mode for silent operation,4xSATA connectors - UPC 0761345-05501-7 - has the correct connecters checked

Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation / Zalman CNPS7700-Cu *2 /

OEM Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2b - is SP2b..the "b" is it ok..?

thanks all...let me know if theres anythuing badly wrong...

Eoin
What is the brand of the Vid Card. I think it should work. looks like the same as Pasanta's

The Home version of True Image will do the job.

I'm noy sure about XP SP2b. You'll have to try it.

Your drives will work but you might want to think about a 36G Raptor for the C Drive. Kind of a waste to be using the 2cnd partition of the 74G Raptor just for storage.

Is the ram Corsair.

And I'm sure you have read some of the recent posts regarding altering the parts list. Pasanta said it very well. Also, alot of problems that I have solved via email have been plug-in related. Once the offending plug-in was removed, a 100% rock solid Tyan Quad was born.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
And I'm sure you have read some of the recent posts regarding altering the parts list. Pasanta said it very well. Also, alot of problems that I have solved via email have been plug-in related. Once the offending plug-in was removed, a 100% rock solid Tyan Quad was born.

Shane
Perhaps we should start a list of potentially offending plugins? I know it's hard to zero in on system conflicts, but still...Perhaps we can find out which plugins (and which versions of said plugins) are working and not working for people, and maybe get to the bottom of some of it?

I don't have a boatload of plugins, but I'd like to know which plugins may potentially cause problems when a freelance engineer brings in a 2GB flash drive and his iLok...