Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I'm really hoping for a fix in the near future.
Maybe it's coming soon
Old 03-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
I'm not looking for an argument, but you seem to be making assumptions about my professionalism. I've been a film composer for many years, and if I were to show you my credits, you'd see that I've let nothing stand in my way and I always get the job done.
I'm hardly making assumptions about your professionalism. I don't care how long you been in the biz or your credits - that means nothing. What means something is when I give you a legitimate way to take care of things and you automatically dismiss it out of hand. Look at it this way - it's one way to get the job done that works with the current state of PT MIDI.

QAPLA!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Unfortunately, this is a known issue voiced by many. The MIDI clip editing really needs to duplicate and be on par with the audio editing in my opinion. This one is maddening, but I work around it. I'm really hoping for a fix in the near future.

Shane
Thanks -- good to know it's a known issue, will hope for a fix.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
change your view to "notes",
then trim from there…
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work. If I select an area in the middle of sustained MIDI notes, they don't get cut. Hmmm.
if you're still trying to make this edit,
then the above mentioned workaround does work.

seeing now that you're coming from a diff daw,
i need to mention that by "trim", i'm referring to the trim tool.
and if the trax are grouped, they'll all trim at once.

as shane says, lame work flow…
e
Old 03-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
if you're still trying to make this edit,
then the above mentioned workaround does work.

seeing now that you're coming from a diff daw,
i need to mention that by "trim", i'm referring to the trim tool.
and if the trax are grouped, they'll all trim at once.

as shane says, lame work flow…
e
Thanks, I must be doing something wrong. Say you have a few MIDI tracks with sustained MIDI notes that go from bar 5 to bar 10, and you want to cut out bars 7 through 9. In Logic this is easy to do, and there are even prefs that govern how it works. In PT with notes mode selected, I can't even select a region, in this example, bars 7 through 9...maybe I'm not selecting the region properly.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I must be doing something wrong. Say you have a few MIDI tracks with sustained MIDI notes that go from bar 5 to bar 10, and you want to cut out bars 7 through 9. In Logic this is easy to do, and there are even prefs that govern how it works. In PT with notes mode selected, I can't even select a region, in this example, bars 7 through 9...maybe I'm not selecting the region properly.
You're making your selection right, unfortunately MIDI editing doesn't mirror the audio editing. You'll need to be in notes view, make your selection within the note, separate the selection(Ctrl+E or B), then select the middle area of the note and delete it. Unfortunately, it's definitely long winded and far from ideal.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks Shane. In the main Edit window, in Notes View I can't seem to find a way to select an area in the middle of a long sustained MIDI note, within the note as you said. I can do it in the MIDI Editor window, but not in the main Edit window. Maybe I'm wrongly trying to get it to work like Logic, where you can drag across MIDI notes (and audio at the same time), and cut, paste, whatever.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks Shane. In the main Edit window, in Notes View I can't seem to find a way to select an area in the middle of a long sustained MIDI note, within the note as you said. I can do it in the MIDI Editor window, but not in the main Edit window. Maybe I'm wrongly trying to get it to work like Logic, where you can drag across MIDI notes (and audio at the same time), and cut, paste, whatever.
PT doesn't work like Logic as you've found out. Personally I don't expect one daw to work exactly like another.

QAPLA!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Shane is spot on. It would be great if the MIDI editing paradigm was consistent with audio.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
After selecting an area in the Edit window in Clip mode, I want to cut a section of sustained MIDI notes (see left pic).

If I then hit X, the clips get cut, but the MIDI notes remain, hanging beyond the new cutoff point of the clips (see right pic).

Doesn't seem to be any prefs to set to avoid this. Does anyone know a workaround?
Change view to notes. Select the grid quantification you need (whole, half, quarter, eighths, etc).
Select the notes you want to trim with selector tool and use the trim tool to lengthen or shorten to the desired length on the grid. Rinse and repeat for other sections.

Another way: in note mode, select the part of the clip you want to cut up and hit CTRL E (on Win) and the notes will be split at the selection point. Delete or trim as desired.