How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Yes you're right, mostly when you said "we don't know". Avid will publish more info shortly, until that everything is pure speculation...
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
The Avid Marketplace has the potential to be something truly game changing.

Whether it will realise that potential is really up to Avid, and I'm not sure they'll have the budget to raise awareness sufficiently throughout the parts of the industry that could adopt it, in a way that really causes it's use to balloon, and help everyone.
FWIW, I too thought/think that Marketplace can revolutionise an industry that still works in quite traditional ways (as far as I understand it ... happy to be corrected - not my area of expertise!)

In the same way as bedroom musicians can now reach a global audience on Youtube/iTunes, Marketplace could help bedroom composers monetise they work in markets which they cannot currently reach (lack of exposure, legal/licensing issues, etc.) There would be 'losers' in this equation but Avid would stand to win, in the same way that iTunes has over traditional record labels.

Like revolutions in other areas of business, this would't suit many (including here) ... but that would be Avid's legitimate business. However, for this to work, it would have to be almost ubiquitous - Avid are the first (as far as I know) to try this and it will need industry buyers to buy-in ... so probably best to start with existing Pro Tools 'pros' too, but eventually this will be fuelled by volume and that will come from the many being alienated here and now.

Maybe Avid plan to extend Everywhere to other DAWs in the future to get everyone back?!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
...But apart from the Avid Marketplace, everything else is a service offered by multiple other 3rd party companies - and very well I might add...
It's also been available for video from Avid for some time and their system is very popular with broadcasters who can afford to choose absolutely any supplier. A lot of people seem to be missing that Avid is only adapting something that they already do very successfully to audio. As for the ideas, check out who the real pioneers are and think about who owns them today: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Euphon......-a065366181
Old 10-19-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
Russ, I know far more people having no issues with PT11, certainly none to the level of non client use, than otherwise. It's a load more stable and reliable than 10 ever was.
This is the opposite of my experience and of several of my (also professional) producer and engineer friends'.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
But apart from the Avid Marketplace, everything else is a service offered by multiple other 3rd party companies - and very well I might add.
There are many popular 3rd party companies already out there offering this same type of marketplace that Avid has presented in concept form. Avid will be facing some popular competition in this department long since established. It's nothing new or revolutionary.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It's also been available for video from Avid for some time and their system is very popular with broadcasters who can afford to choose absolutely any supplier. A lot of people seem to be missing that Avid is only adapting something that they already do very successfully to audio. As for the ideas, check out who the real pioneers are and think about who owns them today: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Euphon......-a065366181

Bob, this has been discussed ad nauseum - you and I have even talked about it on the DUC.

Whilst Avid Everywhere is more a corporate philosophy, than a product in it's own right, it doesn't look as if they're simply transposing their existing products (ISIS / Interplay) across from Media Composer to Pro Tools - rather, it seems they will be integrating / marrying them together with a new front end.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
There are many popular 3rd party companies already out there offering this same type of marketplace that Avid has presented in concept form. Avid will be facing some popular competition in this department long since established. It's nothing new or revolutionary.

Shane

That's exactly the point I made in my previous post.

But, Avid is in a somewhat unique position compared to it's rivals, and if they fully "Leverage", to use corporate BS, their position, and their established technologies, together with some inspired implimentation - it absolutely has to potential to be revolutionary.

Pro Tools, and Media Composer were not the first non-linear editing programmes to the market, or even to be adopted to some degree by the Music, and Post industries. But they were early entrants, that were professionally biased, and implemented - The Avid Marketplace could repeat that feat... Or it could fall flat on it's face.

Like I said before, I'm not moving a muscle for an entire year on this issue, so the ball is in Avid's court.

A lot can happen between now, and then.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes you're right, mostly when you said "we don't know". Avid will publish more info shortly, until that everything is pure speculation...
Man, I seem to be doing more than you are, to calm the natives, and try to remain objective... and you're a moderator
Old 10-19-2014, 01:58 PM

I've said this previously, I am a low level hobbyist.
Have invested with PT from 7.4 to current, not HD or HDX.

I just wanted to say I find it interesting and refreshing to see some higher level studio people come in to this discussion and bring a perspective from that point of view.
I really don't know what percentage of people that post on the DUC are
bedroom hobby folks, small non-commercial home studios, small commercial, high level commercial studio and pro-studio.
I am guessing, what? 50, 60,70% percent of the folks here depend on income from their use of DAWS? I have no clue about that.

It appears easier to say let's all switch to something else if you are not in jeopardy of losing business, clients, income, having to invest in new equipment etc..
As others have mentioned, stability of systems, changing work flows would be impacted, learning curves etc.

Someone like me can just buy new DAW software and leave PT behind.
If your livelihood counts on it is it really that easy to switch?

So back to some of the recent folks that have what seems to be higher level professional experience and it seems calmer heads.
I appreciate their input a lot in this situation.
I hope they keep posting and sharing.

Mean while I think I'll back off a bit and see what pans out when AVID makes more concrete statements about their intentions.
Hopefully they won't do it on a holiday weekend again and leave everybody looking at dangling participles .

I'll hope for the best.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkRider View Post
If your livelihood counts on it is it really that easy to switch?
No it's not that easy, but Avid keeps pushing and pushing.