Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Euphonix is AVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
It scares me more. I am afraid I will have to switch to some other DAW in the future (not just learning a new software) but selling purchasing all the stuff from the scratch. Also most serious companies are PC only - Pyramics, Sound Scape.
Why I am so pessimistic? Because I am still on PT 7.4. I am not willing to upgrade to v8 because of countless bugs and reports. I am stuck with no support on my G5 Dual 2.7 with no ability to go even 8.0.3.
So if Avid makes a brand new Pro Tools 9 with new HD hardware and interfaces (supporting only PT9) and probably will be a PC only. Why? Because Avid hates Apple for Final Cut. No comments how buggy it will be. And I am pretty sure fixing them will not be Avids first (or even second) priority.
Some good points. I cant see them dropping either O.S. though IMHO. I do feel hiring more developers would have been more beneficial and a higher priority.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Avid buys Euphonix

I think that it is a very good move from avid. I agree that they need more focus on their software, but I hope that they know what they are doing.
And afaik, they now, again have more developers from europe, some are responsible for very good things for 3rd party software. So, hope for the best.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 AM

Interesting move, what are you up to AVID?

Will there be a new digital console attacking Neve and/or SSL or dropping control surface support for Logic? Or dropping Apple support at all?

Politically unstable times in the pro audio industry now days.

I dont know how you guys look at it, but right now I rather wait with purchasing new/more AVID products, until I see where they are going to?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Oh GOODIE, one MORE thing for them to focus their attention on instead of fixing ProTools.
+++1
Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM

I seriously doubt this is the monumental cock-blocking maneuver, designed to assure Avid position in the market place by locking out other DAW's from using the hardware, that some of the more alarmed posts here seem to suggest.

I'm really growing in optimism about greater future integration, both within the (what I guess will mainly be) "Audio" & "Video" divisions of Avid, and between their products and 3rd party products.

This acquisition, and the recent M-powered / Mackie hybrid is raising some interesting possibilities - in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
I seriously doubt this is the monumental cock-blocking maneuver, designed to assure Avid position in the market place by locking out other DAW's from using the hardware, that some of the more alarmed posts here seem to suggest.

I'm really growing in optimism about greater future integration, both within the (what I guess will mainly be) "Audio" & "Video" divisions of Avid, and between their products and 3rd party products.

This acquisition, and the recent M-powered / Mackie hybrid is raising some interesting possibilities - in my opinion.
Very good points, I think this is a great move - this just shows that we are on the right track and can be sure our investment is secure.

I dont really understand all the pessimists - how would this affect you? - you think Avid buying a new hardware-company will hurt you in any way?? I actually think we should be happy that they can actually expand in the current market.

@ mgoorevich seriouslly, you are running a machine that is more than 4 years old... - not even Apple support it - how would you expect Avid to

But thats just me - I might be totally sidetracked

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A M View Post
you are running a machine that is more than 4 years old... - not even Apple support it - how would you expect Avid to

But thats just me - I might be totally sidetracked
i'd rather have a rig that is more than 4 years old that works pretty much the way i need it to...

than to be playing around on the cutting edge on my client base's dime watching me scratchin my head saying WTF.

and this never had the potential to happen in any other previous upgrade options in years past.

so what happened?

what changed?

i'm certainly willing to change for something that feels right in my gut to move into.

i'll get a new computer soon enough but for now for me it is a time to
hold fast

Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Avid

I don't know how much my opinion counts here, but fwiw - from what I know of this acquisition, it's going to be a good thing, all the way around.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:28 AM

From the press conference yesterday it seems that this is in addition to everything else they have going on. Gary Greenfield specifically mentioned that they would not be dropping support for other DAW's and mentioned that they are excited about the options particularly in the artist series for the MC Color, Mix etc

There was a great slide of the way the products would sit too. Check out the on demand feed of the conference.

I think this is a great move and if they roll EuControl into PT rather than having it run as an extra application then that's only a good thing. I don't see them keeping the requirement for EuControl to emulate HUI either. Good things are coming.

C
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM

I'll give you some examples of why I'm worried, and how this can hurt me.

First, HUI. Back in the day, when Digidesign and Mackie teamed up on HUI, it was great. Now, Digi would love to bury HUI protocol into the ground, they have zero interest in supporting it any way shape or form, because they have competing technology (sort of, the Command 8 is a far cry from being as good as a HUI was). But they have a deal with Mackie (I'm told) that doesn't allow them to drop HUI support.

But it is sabotaged. I 100% believe that. My HUI, MCU and Baby HUI constantly 'lose communication', all of them, no matter what MIDI interface they're hooked up to, and I've tried three. No rhyme or reason. So here was a technology that COULD have been awesome, could have been expanded, would have been in the best interest of the users to do so, and they just let it die.

So now Avid owns Euphonix. And as much as they say they'll continue to support other DAWS, how long do you suppose until the Euphonix support for Nuendo and others just stop getting any priority, and just stops working, because it's no longer at all in their interest to support them. Sure, eventually we'll probably see the Artist series get better support for PT than emulating HUI mode. But I wouldn't hold my breath. First thing that will happen is that they'll try and integrate the large format consoles with PT, which will take them years to get right. So the reality is, this will do nothing for us average users, except draw valuable resources away from fixing the damn PT8 Code!

Because no doubt they'll need all those people to move onto Project Euphonix. There are not even enough people at Digi right now to handle the myriad of problems that they have, BIG issues that require massive code rewriting, RTAS, ADC, MIDI, QUICKTIME, etc. Now I suspect many of these people will be told to refocus their priorities to Euphonix integration.

Of course I don't 'KNOW' this, but it's my big fear.