Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 PM

Default S.O.S ! Disk Allocation/file naming Prob

So I recorded 16 tracks of a concert to an alesis HD24 which i subsequently imported into protools 6.9. the named tracks on the hard disk recorder were rather long, i.e. more than 32 characters. when protools processed them it gave them new names: if it was named : "Artist with artist on Date track 01" it became "Artist with art# EB01"

i thought it was a little weird but since it didn't give me any problems i went on and finished the mix. after a month there was a recall of said project and when i opened the file there were 16 files missing. All the automation, plug-ins, edits were still there, just without audio.

i've tried to manually relink files to no avail as it always references a single file, making my session consist of 16 instantiations of the same audio file.

man, i need help with this one.

thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Default Re: S.O.S ! Disk Allocation/file naming Prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezparelang View Post
So I recorded 16 tracks of a concert to an alesis HD24 which i subsequently imported into protools 6.9. the named tracks on the hard disk recorder were rather long, i.e. more than 32 characters. when protools processed them it gave them new names: if it was named : "Artist with artist on Date track 01" it became "Artist with art# EB01"

i thought it was a little weird but since it didn't give me any problems i went on and finished the mix. after a month there was a recall of said project and when i opened the file there were 16 files missing. All the automation, plug-ins, edits were still there, just without audio.

i've tried to manually relink files to no avail as it always references a single file, making my session consist of 16 instantiations of the same audio file.

thanks
If you imported the audio from the HD24 disk, then that's were they probably still reside. When importing audio, one has to make sure you choose "copy", or PT will just read the audio straight from the source location.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezparelang View Post

thanks
Hi,

Did you import the files from the fireport?

in the regions list select full file path and see where the disk location is for those files!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Are the audio files in the "audio" folder?... and you tried to relink?
Did you move the session around in that previous month? dragging to another drive?
Not sure but I think that (#) is an illegal character. SB

In reference to Shanes comments.. In my experience with importing from the Alesis.
1. Alesis uses a proprietary format that PT can't use
2. Must be imported with the "fireport" that chris mentioned, converting them to WAV.

So the files had to reside on the PT side of things, but something got dislocated.
To the OP , have you tried repairing directories? just a guess.