Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: Who\'s your Favorite Recording Engineer/ Produc

Quote:
... hate Brendan OBrien. I talked about how Ramone captures performances and Dashut draws out the best in an artist, I think that OBrien is just the opposite on both accounts. His production seems to often get in the way of the artist instead on enhancing them (just go get a copy of "The Thorns" if you don't think so) and many of his albums actually sound better when you go see the band live. I think that having a relationship with Pearl Jam has made him much more famous than he deserves to be.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, it's just my opinion.
I humbly and greatly disagree with that statement, although you have a right to your opinion. Each record he does is unique, and no two recordings sound the same. Listen to Southern Harmony by the Black Crowes and then throw in Pearl Jam VS, then throw in Soundgarden Superunknown, and the throw in Bruce Springsteen The Rising.
All drastically different recordings, unique to the artist and what the artist wants .
You will also notice that he almost always does at least 2 records for most bands he works with, if not more.
I do agree with the fact that some of his recordings sound better after you've heard the band live, but as a producer, he is f'n amazing.
IMHO

Kris
May the music move you
Old 05-27-2006, 01:39 PM

I will second Joe Meek... pioneer right up there with Les Paul (at the same time, different parts of the world!)
Old 05-27-2006, 05:31 PM

john leckie, brian eno and booker t jones. I'm in awe of bob clearmountain although I'm not so into his mixing. That is to say, it's not my style but even if I had the best song, best gear and all the time/money in the world, I couldn't ever make something that sounds as 'good' as he can. totally amazing.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
... hate Brendan OBrien. I talked about how Ramone captures performances and Dashut draws out the best in an artist, I think that OBrien is just the opposite on both accounts. His production seems to often get in the way of the artist instead on enhancing them (just go get a copy of "The Thorns" if you don't think so) and many of his albums actually sound better when you go see the band live. I think that having a relationship with Pearl Jam has made him much more famous than he deserves to be.

I humbly and greatly disagree with that statement, although you have a right to your opinion. Each record he does is unique, and no two recordings sound the same. Listen to Southern Harmony by the Black Crowes and then throw in Pearl Jam VS, then throw in Soundgarden Superunknown, and the throw in Bruce Springsteen The Rising.
All drastically different recordings, unique to the artist and what the artist wants .
You will also notice that he almost always does at least 2 records for most bands he works with, if not more.
I do agree with the fact that some of his recordings sound better after you've heard the band live, but as a producer, he is f'n amazing.
IMHO
Okay, I'll admit that I probably just have a bug in my butt about The Thorns album. Three of my favorite artists and he ruined it. I'll give big props for The Rising. Great album, great sound. I didn't realize that he produced it.

I thought it would be my Phil Spector remark that would get backlash.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Who\'s your Favorite Recording Engineer/ Producer?

Quote:
Quote:
...Alan Parsons. As if manning the boards for "Abbey Road" and "Dark Side of the Moon" wasn't enough, ...
alan worked on some of 'abbey road', and only as a 2nd eng. . just fyi
Yes, Emerick was Paul's guy and Parson's was John's guy. I wish I had seconded Abbey Road (I'd take third or fourth).
Old 05-27-2006, 08:01 PM

teo macero, trevor horn, missy elliott.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
hate Brendan OBrien. I talked about how Ramone captures performances and Dashut draws out the best in an artist, I think that OBrien is just the opposite on both accounts. His production seems to often get in the way of the artist instead on enhancing them (just go get a copy of "The Thorns" if you don't think so) and many of his albums actually sound better when you go see the band live. I think that having a relationship with Pearl Jam has made him much more famous than he deserves to be.

kings X dogman album is amazing, the closest they ever got to a "breakthrough" and i think he did an amazing job with them on it and letting them keep their sound while putting a bit of polish on it. the flipside, the incubus album crow left of the murder was a 180 production style of his earlier stuff, quite raw. i do not know the thorns, but most everything o'brien has touched i think is great! (though i do not care for pearl jam)

also must say john kurzweg, say what you will about his artists but i think he has an amazing ear, deffinative sound and got the pleasure to work with him for the better part of a year and all are great memories.

andy wallace for sure,and must mention in the same sentence mr rick ruben (c'mon,produces slayer and beastie boys!) jimmy page, ben grosse who did sevendust's animosity, which to me is the best sounding album in that genre imho. andy sneap is making quite a dent in his style as well. kevin shirley, i love his choice in music he mixes and or produces, aerosmith, dream theater, zeppelin boxed set...... michael wagener, last but not least, the greatest of all, mr. les paul; whom w/o this would have been a whole different thing, and we would just now be discovering adats or something.

there are just to many to name!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-27-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

So who is peoples favorite Mix engineer or producer?
I have way to many 'favorites'.

Robert John(Mutt) Lange,

Trevor Horn, Clearmountain, Bob Rock, Mike Shipley, Rand Staub, Dre and on and on.

It changes daily.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-28-2006, 06:15 AM

Jerry Finn and the Lord-Alge's by far!
Old 05-28-2006, 06:28 AM

Producers/

1. Mannie Fresh
2. Jazzie Faye
3. Dj Quick
4. Neptunes