Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Vocal effects and settings...

I'm somewhat new to the recording world and could use some help. I'd like to get some ideas from the pros on what you typically do w/ a lead vocal track.

My first question: How to handle vocals on their way in. This is my preamp/ comp: PreSonus Eureka Pro Recording Channel Strip (Mic Preamp and Compressor with 3-Band EQ). What are some basic settings for the preamp and comp. that are typically used?

Second: What are some of the common effects that you use? Reverb? Delay? What reverb, what delay, and how wet? I have PTLE 6.7, and the waves platinum, so I should have plenty to choose from, but I just don't know which one or how to use it. I'd really just like an idea of where to start from, then of course I'll tweak it to my likings. I've been trying to get started on my own, but there is just too much, and I'd really like to get some input on what is typically used.

If it helps ELO is my favorite band, with a lot of Beatles influence, and I'm looking for a sound in-between that and a modern pop/ rock like Avril Lavigne or Train.

Any help/ input is really appreciated.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Vocal effects and settings...

this is a great link for studio advice of all types:

http://web.archive.org/web/200302161...diocovers.com/
Old 05-19-2005, 12:40 PM

Baker,
Hi there and welcome to the DUC.

First off, I must tell you that Vocals will vary from singer to singer. How you approach it depends on their style, voice, and projection when I look at it. Some mics will work, others will not. You could have a 4000 dollar U47 that may sound great on one voice, but like crap on another through the same setup. Just very dependent on the singer.

NOW..... I highly recommend that you start out recording vocals WITHOUT compression. Asking these types of questions, I can only assume that you are a beginner and learning the ways. The thing to know about COMPRESSION to tape is "Once Compressed, Always Compressed!" Period! So start out with your preamp going straight to Pro tools and bypass the compression if you can. Get a good signal without clipping and go from there. I usually go until clip then back it off a few db. The singer will always go louder when tracking..... always happens that way it seems.

Once you get good sounds going in, use the plugin compressors and learn what they are doing... Then once you understand that, I would say start to use the outboard compressor. Chances are though, the byndle compressors will be better than the platinum range stuff. Sorry, but it is the truth. Waves stuff especially.

As for effect, again dependent on the singer.... and the song.. May need reverb, may need a delay, may need a filter? That is where the creative engineer comes to play.

I usually start with a reverb on an AUX track and bus to it. Also a 2 tap delay ever so little in the chain on another Aux and buss to it. Just depends....

Again, start out without until you better understand (not trying to talk down, if I am I apologize) but learn it before you destroy it.... That comes later!

Good luck,

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 06-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the input, I've been messing around a little and I'm realizing that it just takes time and patients to learn all this stuff.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I'm realizing that it just takes time and patients to learn all this stuff.
Now that's funny. Many people, even doctors, practice on real patients.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:31 PM

If you want to use compression on the way into PTLE, use as little as possible, maybe-3 reduction, just enuff to smooth out the spikes....play around w. the release...i noticed, rap fast, singing slow....just to start ya off....

rock
sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com