Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2008, 11:36 PM

Default dark and moody

i have been called to do an animation.., no real footage.., that is

A lot of these sounds need to be painful, scary, disconcerting, disturbing

plus other elements that have real names

any suggestions how this might be achieved (i know its a dumb question but just hoping for ideas.., this could be a geat animation, sort of a political horror).., ive been doing CGI all year and lost touch.., the good thing is i have discovered sound is best for.., ect.., me.., ect.., and have started getting work in.

trouble is i have forgotten a lot.., like where is the 'trim' and what its for.., and where is the 'auto' button that bings up the little window so i can select what i want to automate. or maybe im totally confused.., but i still have a lot of CGI home work and very little time to do much research and reading back up about protools.

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-02-2008, 06:24 AM

Default Re: dark and moody

Hey Manis,

Nothing like spending a little time away to realize how much you miss audio eh? :) (I can relate!)

Anyhow, to your original question, there's a great thread on Gearslutz here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-...und-scary.html

Should get you started!

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 PM

hey yea, yea i miss audio.., im glad someone relates.., i feel kind of stupid. now im thumbing about with protools.., any director would be raising eue brows.., and not for any good reason. BUT mores the piont.., money is starting to get involved.., little animations, films, plans.., happiness and dare i say.., wasted talents. i cant believe the questions ive been asking here !!??

i got stuck out financially, and copped out to remain a CGI/VFX student.,., it has brought good and bad with it.., but i cant bare this rustry protools thing (me).., and the rusty insight and ears.

and i cant beleieve i didnt say thanks in advance..,

im thinking of going to the school the movie (ths one) was shot in and redoing all the atmos.., so.., i guess im getting the 'taste ' back :)

many many thanks :)

PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM

hey.., looks like a great link

thanks again :)

PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 AM

The good thing about rust is it usually goes away with repeated use! :)
Although I hear it never sleeps...

You'll get it back...I spent a year away from audio doing production management for an animated show. When I got back, boy did I feel rusty, but a month or so and I was right back where I left off...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Try making a sound with a length of a few seconds, then looping it. A loop that keeps repeating, especially if it has low frequencies in it, is ALWAYS scarry. Many years ago, I made some background loops for a Sci-Fi show I produced called Bradbury 13, many of which are on Sound Ideas #6039. Listen to that disk with my sounds on it and play the backgrounds I made for space ship interiors, hearbeats, etc. You might get an idea from it.

Randy Thom is also a master at scarry loops. Watch "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise, and listen to the loop he made for the martian machines that we hear the whole time they are hiding in a basement with the machines right ouside. That is a great loop, and really scarry!

Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 PM

Sonesy, yea, it is a good thing to find where one 'belongs' i guess.., spread my self too thin and just got lost. though i have a good basis for understanding animation and VFX now.., some more good will come from all this. a month?? thats not too bad..,though still at CGI college .., but the teacher is a friend and i think it obvious to him and all around i should be doing audio, so i believe they just want whats best for me so absence as long as it has a direction, while not passable.., is expectable.., and i already have 2 degrees.., as for CGI, 3D.., and such is a good hobby and should probably stay a hobby.

mike, i have the Tom Cruise movie here.., ill be checking that asap for sure now. the loop.., thats a great tip., i wonder why..,i think the mind reacts to patterns and such (we all know that anyway) but i never went so deep into the understanding of sound design ( no more denial :) ) to even imagine that kind of experimentation with sound.., new insights for me. so im very much appreciative.
as for the disc.., im not sure i have that library.., i have one i backed up from usi.., i dont know, about 15 gig. thats the only pro one i have.., but ill go on the net and se whats what with the library you mentioned :) definitely. but the loop thing and the movie.., you have reminded me of referencing.., always a good place to start.

many many thanks. im getting there.., with the lnk and these references.., a bit of thought.., ill scare the pants off them (if the director has the grit to take it all the way.., i did a vampire movie at uni.., had some great ideas.., but he director was scared that the actress would be upset if we changed her voice..??.., as they say in the Sapranos.., 'whaadda yu gonna do??'

PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manis View Post
i have been called to do an animation.., no real footage.., that is
Way cool
A lot of these sounds need to be painful, scary, disconcerting, disturbing

plus other elements that have real names

any suggestions how this might be achieved (i know its a dumb question but just hoping for ideas.., this could be a geat animation, sort of a political horror).., ive been doing CGI all year and lost touch.., the good thing is i have discovered sound is best for.., ect.., me.., ect.., and have started getting work in.

Like someone else said, use will get used to things more as you use them, and I understand, I scored a Lionsgate film that went straight to video and relearning to do quicktime when I need to will be no fun for me as I have a steep learning curve. Maybe that's whi I like audio so much.

trouble is i have forgotten a lot.., like where is the 'trim' and what its for.., and where is the 'auto' button that bings up the little window so i can select what i want to automate. or maybe im totally confused.., but i still have a lot of CGI home work and very little time to do much research and reading back up about protools.
First off, the trim is to get you the hottest levels you can without overloading your audio. This will get rid of noise, sound better, and give you more options with your sound effects. I'm doing a documentary/story right now and I have to remember how to make certain sounds with what I have because I have no sound library. Gotta make them like many do.

The automate button is both in your edit window under the record buttons on each track, and if you wish to automate a plug-ins there is an auto button on each plug-in GUI and if you hit it, you get a choice on what you wish to automate and then, where you get the choice of going to the automate button again and under your choices will be whatever you chose for that plug-in on that track. If you have any other questions, aside from being a certified Pro Tools Instructor, is that I've done film and jingles so I have some experience in all. Just hit my contact link at

Last, look to not just a library or synth, but to things around the studio or house that can make great and real sounding FX. I will always think of Monty Python's "Holy Grai" where they had the guys behind the guys pretending to be on horses and then people where following them pounding coconuts together to emulate the sound of hooves. Hope some of this helps.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 AM

thanks Scott, your support is greatly appreciated.., im feeling less and less stupid as people are coming in with similar stories.

i have a lot of udio work coming in now, not much in the way of money, but i believe without doing these things i have committed to, money will be much further away. i can say no and only say yES after consideration.

wont get into details as i am expecting some musicians here any minute, which should be a great gig, both totally professional for many years.

and scoring an old B and W with one of the guys to perform it live in front of the screen with audience. so that will be fun.., get some pro help on that one if we win the spot, help from professional film composers, sound designers..., its experience.., thats the thing money just cant buy.

i tell yu, the guys in CGI have been saying YES for so long now, just to work or get a job, no union, that they are pulling stupid hours (we all do but this is RIDICULOUS) as a matter of course.., it will break up homes and health and i cant see it coming to a sensible end any time soon.., thats why i think the great .., i dont know, ego thing there is in that industry.., some dam great guys too.

anyway, best sign off and get my act together.
i put all these replies into a folder and reference when needed or when time permits.

btw, your contact link didnt make it, i think we may have corresponded before?? i have a different motherboard now and the contacts got lost. ill track you down on your profile maybe :)

many thanks, sincerely

manis

PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-05-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manis View Post
thanks Scott, your support is greatly appreciated.., im feeling less and less stupid as people are coming in with similar stories.

i have a lot of udio work coming in now, not much in the way of money, but i believe without doing these things i have committed to, money will be much further away. i can say no and only say yES after consideration.

wont get into details as i am expecting some musicians here any minute, which should be a great gig, both totally professional for many years.

and scoring an old B and W with one of the guys to perform it live in front of the screen with audience. so that will be fun.., get some pro help on that one.., its experience.., thats the thing money just cant buy.

i tell yu, the guys in CGI have been saying YES for so long now, just to work or get a job, no union, that they are pulling stupid hours (we all do but this is RIDICULOUS) as a matter of course.., it will break up homes and health and i cant see it coming to a sensible end any time soon.., thats why i think the great .., i dont know, ego thing there is in that industry.., some dam great guys too.

anyway, best sighn off and get my act togeher.
i put all these replies into a folder and referance when needed or when time permits.

many thanks, sincerely

manis
Manis,

No worries mate. Anytime for you. I enjoy this. I would much rather be behind the C/24 80% of the time myself but some physical limitation from a car crash have put me in a situation where exercise is my nemesis but a necessary "good" evil if there is such a thing. Until the back is a little stronger I take on the special projects and leave the rest to be picked up by the ones in need. That too, is ending soon. Good luck to you and my offer always stands. Call if you wish as well.