Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Rumors say Optical Thunderbolt will come out in 2012
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 PM

I'm still not sure if optical thunderbolt will actually be a good avenue. For one thing. In the past, and I don't think this has ever been corrected, if you bent or coiled optical cables (adat), you could actually create jitters in the signal. So connecting equipment with optical cables (adat) over distance could cause problems as you couldn't pass the fibre in a corner without bending it. So unless this issue has been corrected in the optical version of thunderbolt, I'm not sure how useful this will be even for the video application possibilities.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 PM

ADAT optical is/was low end cheap cable
better cable can bend but only so much

now what about dust/scratch protection for the cable ends when not inserted into equipment

our network backbone is on 10Gb single mode fiber so I have experienced some of what can happen when the termination is bad

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'm sure if those same studios move over to HDX cards they're going to HAVE to change out their interfaces.
Nope not true 192's work fine with HDX cards...
Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Nope not true 192's work fine with HDX cards...
Even though the specs & compatibility say so you can't really say that as no HDX cards are out yet. And remember that PT 10 is the last release to support 192's. Further remember that Avid is only selling HDX cards with the newer HD interfaces. You can't buy a 'naked' card without having first purchased a card/HD interface combo. Given that - why would anyone mix two different era a/d/a boxes? There's better specs in the newer boxes so why waste the improvements of PT10 & HDX with old tech?

QAPLA!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Don't know why anyone would talk bad about optical cable. It's thinner, lighter inexpensive and with thunderbolt you can daisy chain all the modules together. Probably don't want to step on it, but there's no type of cable should be on the walkway
Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
Don't know why anyone would talk bad about optical cable. It's thinner, lighter inexpensive and with thunderbolt you can daisy chain all the modules together. Probably don't want to step on it, but there's no type of cable should be on the walkway
Do a bit of reading about the problems that arises with using optical cables. Jitters, wow and flutter, losing sync with the clock which makes your daw drop out of recording etc. The problem with optical cable is the thinner it is the most likely you will have those problems if you coil or bend them. At least that is what was the problem with the adat optical. Then like Craig said, if either ends of the cable is damaged, you can get a whole lot of other problems with corrupted data etc.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-02-2011, 12:41 PM

All this talk about problems with fibre optic cables makes me wonder: how do companies like Verizon with it's FIOS broadband cable/tv/phone service never seem to have any problems? There system is all fiber optic either strung up on poles along with AC power mains or buried underground and this stuff is tougher than hell. Almost nothing in the way of signal dropouts when you get cable sway, and the routing does some pretty severe bends. Drops from the connection hub on the pole to the house aren't all that large diameter either.

Properly done fibre optic cable is surprisingly worry free. Just don't play rodeo lariat with it and you'll be okay.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention this about toughness: I've seen vehicles drive over the cables when they're laying on the ground and no damage at all. Try doing that with coax spdif.

QAPLA!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Manny
Well Adat is old technology. I'm (cautiously) optimistic Intel/Apple will solve the problems with next year's release, or probable release
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
Manny
Well Adat is old technology. I'm (cautiously) optimistic Intel/Apple will solve the problems with next year's release, or probable release
It's going to happen.........

Quote:
Avid is only selling HDX cards with the newer HD interfaces
I've receive a price for just HDX card with sw and w/o any interface........?