Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM

Default Re: PT 8 | Too hard on the Eyes | Digi Please Read

How did you do it? I see your post where you say you found where PT stores its colors and you changed them. Can you be more specific?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Well, I am not sure that digi would appreciate, me, compromising their code here.

Like I said earlier here, each app stores colors in its code. PT too. If you have a HEX editor then you can search the app for those colors and alter them.

If you have eye problems, shoot me an email and I can tell you more.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 PM

Third day, new look and my glasses have been begging me to put em on. Only, I have not needed to do so since the WHITES have been dimmed. The changes are subtle but imperative.

Anyway, I love PT 8 and the new design. Looking into the monitor, now, simply wanna keep me composing and mixing.

No crashes not nothing, besides the color contrasts. Lots of software companies could learn from digi......

Hope Apple is listening.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
All the old keystrokes and more are there. You must have discovered shift- m s and r:) I bet you'll use just those three new key commands about a hundred times per hour.

Sorry the times have changed and PT is FINALLY a useable program for composers. I'm so much happier at work on PT everyday. I'm a guy who says more more more always...technology goes PAINFULL slow, not fast, for me. Honestly, if PT just got freeze track and/or better rtas VI efficiency, I would be happy if Digi never did another upgrade ever again. ProTools is basically near perfect finally.
word. I fought a battle within myself for about 10 years over wether to use PT or Logic (always had the Digi hardware). Up until PT8 was released in terms of writing music with Midi was not an option in Pro Tools. Now it rocks. The battle is over... PT wins. The integration of Elastic Audio with new and improved Midi functionality makes it a killer software that lets everything else look like children's toys.As for the new looks: i like it. If you cruise thru the sessions with key commands it's not an issue at all that there's more info on the screen than before. Also you can customize just enough to suit your needs. I am overly happy with this version (besides the usual bugs associated with a new release).
Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automa View Post
word. I fought a battle within myself for about 10 years over wether to use PT or Logic (always had the Digi hardware).
yes

Quote:
Up until PT8 was released in terms of writing music with Midi was not an option in Pro Tools. Now it rocks.
yes!

Quote:
The battle is over... PT wins. The integration of Elastic Audio with new and improved Midi functionality makes it a killer software that lets everything else look like children's toys.
YES

Quote:
As for the new looks: i like it. If you cruise thru the sessions with key commands it's not an issue at all that there's more info on the screen than before. Also you can customize just enough to suit your needs.
YES!

Quote:
I am overly happy with this version (besides the usual bugs associated with a new release).
YESSSS!

Obviously, this is the post on the DUC that I relate to and agree with the most ever. (Besides my own posts:) It is my exact story.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:43 AM

Digi -- I have to now wear reading glasses to navigate fine points in PT 8. Never had to do that in prior versions. REading glasses and music = uncool. Please fix this -- the program, not my eyes.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 AM

It was real easy to do this in the OS9 days with ResEdit.
I spent way to many hours changing the mixer in Logic.
It was great to be able to do that as I hated the old Logic look with a passion.

The only caveat for you guys is that every time an update comes out you will have to make your changes again. I got tired of it very quickly.
If you remember there were a lot of Logic updates!

I like 25 Ghosts changes on the mixer page. That really made a difference to me. I didn't realize how my eyes kept trying to focus on those white labels. They just relax and feel calm when the contrast is down.

So PT is now DIY!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:54 AM

Oh one more thing, I remember that I had to keep an untouched version of the Logic app to make the update process work.
The updater would refuse to update my Frankenstein version.
It somehow knew I had messed with it.
Something to watch for.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBuckle View Post
It was real easy to do this in the OS9 days with ResEdit.
I spent way to many hours changing the mixer in Logic.
It was great to be able to do that as I hated the old Logic look with a passion.

The only caveat for you guys is that every time an update comes out you will have to make your changes again. I got tired of it very quickly.
If you remember there were a lot of Logic updates!

I like 25 Ghosts changes on the mixer page. That really made a difference to me. I didn't realize how my eyes kept trying to focus on those white labels. They just relax and feel calm when the contrast is down.

So PT is now DIY!
There are changes in one file only. The file still has the exact same bytes as b4 the change. All that changes are some HEX numbers and instead of White the Display gives you a grayish brown.

I have mapped the colors I need to change. So for me, to change all the colors is a copy and paste (15 times) and then that is it. I'll gladly spend 5 minutes pre month doing that until digi fixes this.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 AM

Hello,

I recently upgraded from PT 7.4 to PT 8.0.3

My eyes have really hurt badly and I have had headaches form trying to read the numerals in the vol/pk/dly field and the cursor field.
The dly field needs constant monitoring because LE does not have ADC so being able to read those numerals is critical.
I posted a thread about this and I suspect it is because they have changed the fonts for the text and numerals. THey now look very blurred and untidy.