Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Re: just updated to vista, now pro tools does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Drunk View Post
you probly didnt read the whole thread, but im not a novice pc user. theres no option to even run as admin on my pc, i removed it. my account is perminant admin, everything always runs as admin by default so i never have to do that to every program i have to run, and that stupid "are u sure u wanna do this" window doesnt pop up either, becuz its all automatic, and it is in xp sp2 compatibility mode.

its some kind of latency issue now. becuz it opens fine now, it just wont play for more than a second or two no matter wat i set the buffer to. its not the hdd either, cuz now its 7200 rpm 32mb cache
any particular reason you are runnin' in XP mode and not just runnin' it str8 Vista?

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
any particular reason you are runnin' in XP mode and not just runnin' it str8 Vista?
Yeah there is no reason to run in compatibility mode since PT is Vista compatible. Also I get no window that pops up either saying do you want to do this. Are you sure you dont have a Run as Admin option? Maybe go in and check the permissions and make sure.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Yeah there is no reason to run in compatibility mode since PT is Vista compatible. Also I get no window that pops up either saying do you want to do this. Are you sure you dont have a Run as Admin option? Maybe go in and check the permissions and make sure.
lol...no man.. i DONT have that window. everything is perminantly admin mode. that is NOT the issue. i was refering to when you dont have admin mode on, and u try to run it..the screen dims out, and it asks you do u want to conintue. that doesnt exist on my pc. i'm way beyond that. those things arnt causing it.

and i ran it in xp mode becuase i figured itd fix the problem with the buffer
Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
lol...no man.. i DONT have that window. everything is perminantly admin mode. that is NOT the issue. i was refering to when you dont have admin mode on, and u try to run it..the screen dims out, and it asks you do u want to conintue. that doesnt exist on my pc. i'm way beyond that. those things arnt causing it.

and i ran it in xp mode becuase i figured itd fix the problem with the buffer
my guess is that runnin' in XP mode would/will actually add to 'possible' resource interrupts. if you haven't already, maybe try goin' back to Vista mode and delete the 002 device so the drivers can get reloaded under Vista. just a thought

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
When launching Pro Tools in Vista Right Click the Pro Tools icon and choose Run As Administrater. This is how the guys at Digi ALWAYS run PT, which may explain why they have a hard time figuring out why end users are having so many problems...
A big +1 on this comment. This is valid info that we really should have known years ago. Who knows how many years this whole procedure has been going on. Nonetheless, we now know.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
my guess is that runnin' in XP mode would/will actually add to 'possible' resource interrupts. if you haven't already, maybe try goin' back to Vista mode and delete the 002 device so the drivers can get reloaded under Vista. just a thought
theres no reason to delete drivers... running it in xp mode is checkin a box in the properties window, it has nothing to do with installing drivers a certain way or version. and yes, ive tried it just normal, opening it without that box checked, it freezes during startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
A big +1 on this comment. This is valid info that we really should have known years ago. Who knows how many years this whole procedure has been going on. Nonetheless, we now know.

Shane
i dont really think this is that big of a revaltion, as soon as you start using vista, you start to learn very quick that this is the culprit of 80 percent of your problems. the rest is the "run as xp compatible mode". whenever something doenst want to run, or is acting buggy, one of those options fixes it for me, i didnt need to go to tech school to figure that out, most vista users pick that up within a few days of owning vista and realizing a ton of programs wont launch.

as i stated before, these are basic options, that are not the issue here. these are all things ive tried way back in the begining when trying to get this program to run right, the problem is much deeper than this.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
i dont really think this is that big of a revaltion, as soon as you start using vista, you start to learn very quick that this is the culprit of 80 percent of your problems. the rest is the "run as xp compatible mode". whenever something doenst want to run, or is acting buggy, one of those options fixes it for me, i didnt need to go to tech school to figure that out, most vista users pick that up within a few days of owning vista and realizing a ton of programs wont launch.
The big revelation on this is with XP which PT has spent most of it's development cycle on. Being unaware that Digi HQ was running the app as admin while everyone else wasn't is a pretty big oversight that may very well have been the source to many problems and frustrations over the years. Not to mention there's never been any documentation to run it as such which is the shockong part.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The big revelation on this is with XP which PT has spent most of it's development cycle on. Being unaware that Digi HQ was running the app as admin while everyone else wasn't is a pretty big oversight that may very well have been the source to many problems and frustrations over the years. Not to mention there's never been any documentation to run it as such which is the shockong part.

Shane
Exactly. Digi never once mentioned to Run As Administrater. We are not talking logging in as Administrater I think most of us do that any way, we are talking actually running PT in Admin mode.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Digi never once mentioned to Run As Administrater. We are not talking logging in as Administrater I think most of us do that any way, we are talking actually running PT in Admin mode.
thats becuase in xp it didn't exist.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780

the only mention microsoft even makes of this, is what user account you are under. there was never a specific option for each program to be run as administrator.

this was somthing they cooked up with vista as a part of further virus protection becuase it forces you to have administrator rights to do anything that is potentially dangerous to your computer, especially if a virus is installed that does it automatically.. like editing the registry, renaming partitions, etc. running as admin is nothing more than being logged in on the main account and clicking yes, or being on other users and giving them admin rights from the main account --virtually the same exact thing as xp, just program based instead of account based.

as i said in earlier posts, this is turned off on my machine, its not some core element that effects functionality, it merely blocks things from opening for protection. this is under the security window in vista, not some special developement or compatibilty window, and literally has no effect on programs once its turned off (aside from virus protection). its just one less option you have to screw around with to get programs to launch
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM

Actually this can make a huge difference in XP also. Often you need to install Power Toys and Tweak UI to create the upper level invisible administrator account. This is not the same as just creating a normal administrator account with a password in the traditional way.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com