How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Default Track Freeze Workflows

Hi All,

As we all anxiously await the addition of a track freeze functionality into a future version of Pro Tools, I thought I would share some workflows I’ve cobbled together over the last year or so for dealing with “track freezing” in the PT11 environment. Just to note, I’m on LE on a Windows 7 system.

Setting Up Dedicated Freeze Busses
At first, I created bounced tracks by setting the output of the original track to create a new track. However, the problem with this is that it creates a new buss every time. So, instead I create two dedicated busses that are only used for bouncing:

1. In my I/O setup, I create two dedicated busses for offline bouncing:
-FREEZE_mono
-FREEZE_Stereo

2. I then insert these busses in the last slot on every track.This allows me to bounce a single track, simply by soloing it and using the right-click bounce option choosing bounce. This prevents me from having to mess with the original track’s output routing and creating multiple new busses simply to bounce.

Note: Setting the send to post-fader, with the send at unity will result in a “frozen” clip that matches the original track’s level when the track is at unity.. Setting the send to pre-fader, will result in a “frozen” clip that has the same volume as the original clip. Therefore, you will need to match the fader level of the “frozen” track to that of the original.

Creating a “Frozen” audio Track
One thing that I also found annoying about this method was that it changed the output of the original track. So, if you wanted to go back to it-- you would have to reset it’s routing. Also, you would have to manually set the routing of the “frozen” track to match the original. If you use submixes, etc-- this can get confusing fast.

1. Rather than “Bouncing to a new track”, first, I duplicate the track I want to “freeze”, selecting only the parameters I want to transfer to the “frozen” track. (automation, sends, etc)

I then select the clips in the original track that I want to include in the bounce

Then, I right-click (PC) on the output of the original track and bounce the “Freeze” Buss, choosing both “Offline bounce” and “Import After Bounce”. I then Name the resulting file the same as the duplicate track (i.e. Vox.Bounce)

When the bounce is finished, I select Clip List as the destination

I then “Auto-spot” the new clip to the its original original time stamp by holding the START key (PC) and dragging into the timeline on the duplicated track.

When all is done, I “Hide and make inactive” the original track.

Note: this process doesn’t work for instrument tracks, as you can’t duplicate an instrument track’s parameters to an audio track. So, for instrument “freezes”, you will still have to create a track and manually set its sends, outputs, etc.

Managing Frozen and Original Tracks
The real downside of not having true track freeze functionality (where the frozen clips live on the same track as the original ones) is that track management and session hygiene become almost impossible at a certain point. Sure, you can hide stuff. But trying to find a specific track in a tracklist where every original track has multiple duplicates-- gets ridiculous fast. So, I use the “Export Tracks as New Session” to store and remove the original tracks outside of my working session. Then, if I find that I need to bring an original track back in to make an adjustment, I simply use “Import Session Data”> Import track>All.

Removing the Original Tracks from the session
1. Assuming that you’ve been de-activating your original tracks along the way. Go to the Tracks List dropdown menu and select “Show only> Inactive Tracks”

In the edit window, ALT Click on a track to select all visible tracks

Export the inactive tracks as a new session
--Go to File> Export> Selected Tracks as New Session
--As with the track duplication, choose which parameters you want to include in the export.
--Export the new session
--Place the session in its own folder, inside your larger project folder (I title this folder Frozen)
-- Name the session appropriately (i.e.Twist and Shout Freeze 1. For larger sessions, I often export sessions by groups of instruments (i.e. Twisandshout_FRZ_Horns, Twistandshout_FRZ_Drums). This makes it easier to access a specific track later.

4. Select the Inactive tracks (click, shift + click) and delete them from your main working session
--BE CAREFUL to only delete the Inactive Tracks, as track deletes are not undo-able.
--Keep in mind that the clips from these tracks will still be in your session unless you clear them. (Probably not an issue for midi/instrument files)

Accessing the Original Tracks
1. Select Import Session Data
-- File> Import> Import Session Data (Alt+Shift+ I)

2. Select the original track that you need to access and import it into your session as a new track

3. Re-activate the track to make any necessary edits

4. Once your edits have been made, you can repeat the freezing process again.

I hope this makes sense and isn't horribly redundant or patronizing. I'd love to know if anyone else has found interesting ways to plug this particular hole in the boat...

Cheers,

C.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Track Freeze Workflows

Quote:
Originally Posted by crandallwarren View Post
I'd love to know if anyone else has found interesting ways to plug this particular hole in the boat...
Illustrated in brief:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2135648&postcount=9

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2135447&postcount=6

This thread might stir up some new ideas:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...t=track+freeze

I hope Avid goes beyond the manual track freeze and allows for the option to do it automatically and intelligently under the hood.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-10-2014, 03:27 AM

Right on. Those are very helpful! I still prefer setting the Freeze buss as an insert rather than an output. That way you retain the output routing of the original track and can use it to compare to the duplicated track.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Another good workflow for freezing audio tracks:
  • offline bounce the track with effects
  • move the original to the alt playlist
  • place the bounced clip in the main playlist
  • Bypass the FX
Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crandallwarren View Post
Another good workflow for freezing audio tracks:
  • offline bounce the track with effects
  • move the original to the alt playlist
  • place the bounced clip in the main playlist
  • Bypass the FX
That's an oldy but still a goody you posted. Another tried and true method used over the years is/was the duplcate/inactive approach. Sadly, we've been using these old standard workarounds for 15 years. It's way past time we get a proper Track Freeze function in Pro Tools.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit