Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Default PT 8 looks - Please give us a PT 7.x skin or an otherwise paler look

Well, the title says it all really.

IMHO the PT 8 look is awful both aesthetically and from an usability point of view. It is miles behind the sleek and very clear PT 7 look... I understand that software companies need to be "trendy" (though the 8 looks really 90's Windows indie to me like the unclear green counter displays etc) but for us that stare at it for 10+ hours a day trying to earn a living change is bad, mkay?

The transition from 5 to 6 was much more elegant and retained the original aesthetic which at least I have learned to love...

If such a "7" visual skin is impossible, at least give us a "white" option with white edit window background (I need that contrast to make out what is happening at a glance) and whiter plug in selection context menus etc.

Also, usability wise some changes are rather bad as well, like the shrunken clickable area in "tracks" and "groups" or the shrunken area which opens the plug-in selection context menu... And a lot is much more unclearly presented now even without the horrific smeared colorings, the automation mode buttons, the plug-in icons divided in 2 in "small" track size etc.

I know I'm not the only one thinking this by the way, I've spoken to many colleagues and none really like the new look... (More than one have commented that the screen looks like someone vomited on it, no kidding)

Sorry if there is a thread about this that I should have used by the way.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Re: PT 8 looks - Please give us a PT 7.x skin or an otherwise paler look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
If such a "7" visual skin is impossible, at least give us a "white" option with white edit window background (I need that contrast to make out what is happening at a glance) and whiter plug in selection context menus etc.
I don´t understand why people want a bright white screen B/G. 70-80% of the PT-screen is background colour. The only way to get strong contrast on a white B/G is to make all other info as dark as possible otherwise there is LOW contrast.

I´m not on 8.x for various reasons so I don´t know how 8.x looks when working but I always wanted a DARK or darker B/G but the info that is important (kurves, regions etc.) in bright of course (high contrast colours). The 7.x-screen is LOW contrast pale coloured regions on white B/G. I don´t understand why some people mistake this for being high contrast.

When you work with paper, white B/G is good because it reflects light but this doesn´t apply to screens because they are self-illuminated and therefor for me a 80% white bright screen is simply a pain for the eyes in a dark studio.

I´ve posted this before but ever wondered why the screens in an airplane cockpit have a black background? Because the pilot needs to read the info on the screen and not be blinded by the white BG. This is a simple ergonomic rule otherwise it would never have made it into a cockpit.

On every mixing stage I know the PT-screens are turned to the darkest possible setting because in 7.x it was just very exhausting for the eyes to have these bright "floodlight" screens on the side of your view. 80% of the light coming from a 7.x screen contains no information.

So in theory I look forward to a dark b/g. But of course this only makes sense when all other important information is NOT also in dark shades like grey, brown etc. then you again have a low-contrast interface that is difficult to read.

Look at this. If those screen background would all be white they would be extremely difficult to read. They are readable because the INFORMATION is illuminated not the completely un-important background of the display that doesn´t contain any info.

Having said this I agree that the examples posted are not good and need to be changed. But the problem is not that the background isn´t white. The problem is that the contrast of the interface is again low. Low colours on grey background.

f.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Re: PT 8 looks - Please give us a PT 7.x skin or an otherwise paler look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
for us that stare at it for 10+ hours a day trying to earn a living change is bad, mkay?

this says it all

what a great thread

we need to move fast at the pace we are able

there is no time to be thinking WTF

your code doctors need to realize this and deliver what the customer want and pays for....we are not being serviced and we are unhappy

at least those professionals enlightened and experienced enough to have the perspective

Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 AM

Smile Re: PT 8 looks - Please give us a PT 7.x skin or an otherwise paler look

wow this topic has been established vary strong by opposing sides. As someone who uses 2 HD systems 40-70 hours a week every week, I am personally able to work just fine with the new look.

That being said it would be great to offer ppl a choice.

But for the time being we are all aware that the old look is still available to those who want to stay on pt7.

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Amazing how polarizing this topic is. I spend 10 to 12 hours in front of PT on many days, and I never want to go back to the PT7 and previous color scheme, that ridiculous bright white and high contrast.

PT8 is SO much easier on my eyes.

That said, it should allow for some customizing of the color palette and brightness, especially for the track background color. A friend suggested, and I agree, that to have the track background match track color would be awesome. If your elastic audio tracks for instance were really clearly marked, or say your record track, if the whole track was tinted slightly red or something.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Amazing how polarizing this topic is. I spend 10 to 12 hours in front of PT on many days, and I never want to go back to the PT7 and previous color scheme, that ridiculous bright white and high contrast.

Me too.

The presumption that just because you don't like it, means that it needs/has to be changed back is crazy. Get over it, either adjust to the new look or change DAWs, it's pretty simple. Sure, state your case for continued improvements and maybe they'll get incorporated, but there's no going back, face it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:

+1
No way I could go back to 7
Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:

+1

PT looked like a damn spreadsheet for way too long...not very musically inspiring to say the least.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM

When PT8 was first announced, I was not impressed by its new look and colour scheme.

When I first installed it on my HD3, I kinda missed PT7. Besides the contrast, I hated the automation curves (too well aliased to know when it's not flat), and the region selection dimming (not clear at all compared with older versions).

Two days later I stopped complaining and just got on with my work.

Now, I switch constantly between my PT8, my partner's PT5.1 (!) and the large studios' 7.x. All 3 are just fine, but I LOVE my PT8 the best :)
Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Me too.

The presumption that just because you don't like it, means that it needs/has to be changed back is crazy. Get over it, either adjust to the new look or change DAWs, it's pretty simple. Sure, state your case for continued improvements and maybe they'll get incorporated, but there's no going back, face it.
Is this how you treat your clients?

Adapt to you or use someone (or something) else?

If you don't like the look, you should absolutely complain.

If Digidesign decides to ignore their users, that's their decision and they need to weigh out the consequences.

I've always assumed that they created the DUC because they wanted everyone's opinion.