Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 AM

Default Reamping and Digirack003 Outputs

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to send a single track though a single output for reamping .Ive tried to work with the output setting but cant seem to figure out a way to just get the guitar track to feed though any one output. No matter what I do it just sends all tacks through any one output. I could always just turn down all the tracks except the guitars while Im doing it, but Id like to be able to bring at least the drums and bass in and out of the mix. Working with a digirack 003 and a C24. Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Reamping and Digirack003 Outputs

Set the output of the guitar track to correspond to the physical output on the 003 that you wish to use. Then patch from that output to your reamp device. Come back in to a new track as usual.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Well there are a couple of ways but the easiest way is to select output 3 or 4 on the I/O output button above the fader and stick your "send patch cord" in output 3 or 4 on the back of the 003. You can now process this sound and send it back into the 003 to record. It's elementary!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Make an AUX send to an analog output(you may need to go into the IO setup page>output tab and enable the paths). When you create the aux send, turn it way down as the line outputs are capable of sending a way hotter signal than a guitar is expecting(you might plug your guitar into the amp first and then shoot for the same level from your aux send). Anyway, once you get your new guitar track recorded, it will be slightly later than the original so use Tab to Transient to find the first impulse and nudge the new track till it lines up(then you can Hide and Make Inactive the original(right-click on the track name).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm going through this same thing and have been doing some reading and have some questions. Lots of things I've read about this "highly" suggest getting a "Reamp" or similar hardware device for this. Is there any real reason to do so?

I'm running the guitar signal I'm trying to reamp out of my 003r through hardware output 8. After setting up the I/O, I put a send from my direct guitar track with the level on that send down to about -11, into my amp's input. It just about matches the level when I play my guitar through the amp and I don't hear any extra noise/hum/hiss. I'm recording a mic in front of the amp into another track. Seems like this is working fine! What benefit would a Reamp give here, if any?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Here's a link to a little information from the Radial Website (They make lots of good guitar products):

http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp-development.htm

This is referring to the Xamp. They also have a less expensive one in the Pro series.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Here's a link to a little information from the Radial Website...
I own and use the JD-7. It's a mighty fine box.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg6794 View Post
I'm going through this same thing and have been doing some reading and have some questions. Lots of things I've read about this "highly" suggest getting a "Reamp" or similar hardware device for this. Is there any real reason to do so?

I'm running the guitar signal I'm trying to reamp out of my 003r through hardware output 8. After setting up the I/O, I put a send from my direct guitar track with the level on that send down to about -11, into my amp's input. It just about matches the level when I play my guitar through the amp and I don't hear any extra noise/hum/hiss. I'm recording a mic in front of the amp into another track. Seems like this is working fine! What benefit would a Reamp give here, if any?

A lot of the guitar players I work with have multi amp rigs. The guitar player I was recently recording had a Mesa Boogie and a Fender Blues Deville. He had the Mesa eq'ed for thickness and the Fender for his cut. He wanted a real tight, big sound so we were doing a lot of close micing on the amps. With the reamp I was able to have that original guitar track that I could source out to mutiple amps at diferent times.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyImportant View Post
A lot of the guitar players I work with have multi amp rigs. The guitar player I was recently recording had a Mesa Boogie and a Fender Blues Deville. He had the Mesa eq'ed for thickness and the Fender for his cut. He wanted a real tight, big sound so we were doing a lot of close micing on the amps. With the reamp I was able to have that original guitar track that I could source out to mutiple amps at diferent times.
Why couldn't you just put two sends on the track to two different hardware outputs and send one to each amp? And either way, for a simple one-track-to-one-amp situation, those devices aren't necessary, right? Am I missing something here?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 AM

Are you asking if its ok to send the signal to the amp without the DI in the chain? Im pretty sure those reamp boxes are critical to the process. Never tried just sending a line out of my interface directly into an amp. Im no engineer but Im not sure the amp would like that. As for doing both amps at once, I could easily use an a/b post reamp box and a couple 421's/SM57'S to do two amps as I want at one time. Unless Im room micing them though Id rather do each amp individually to avoid bleed.

To me there are so many reasons to record direct and reamp later. If a guitar player isn't digging their tone, I can always go back and re mic the amp later and they dont have to redo their actual take. Another good thing is setup time. I have some people I work with that come in to my studio once a month. They dont have to breakdown and setup every time they come in. I give them a amp simulator so they can get their tracks. When they are done all their tracking they bring their gear in and it takes only a day to get all the re-amping done. Theres a bunch of studios out there that you can send those direct tracks to that have ridiculous amps that can reamp your guitars for you also.