Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Muted tracks unmute during playback

Quote:
>> Is there no way to get out of this?

There are 2 solutions (one is preferred):

1. Throw your computer out the window. If you are on the ground floor, it won't do much good. See solution #2;

2. for each track, view the MUTE Automation in the edit window. Select all the data (mute breakpoints) in the track - use cmd-A for selc all, then delete. You can do all 4 tracks at once if you opt-shift select "mute" view in the edit window. So now you're looking at 4 tracks in MUTE view. "Select all" on all 4 tracks for the entire length of the song. If you're not sure how long the song goes, drag all the way to the right until you can't drag anymore. But select all is better. DELETE.

This will solve your problem. You have a mute breakpoint written in there... you have to delete it.
This is exactly what I do, except I apple-A to select all, this will make sure it includes all breakpoints. My other method is used if I still want to keep the Mute automation but temporarily disable it.
best regards
Simon L.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Just for your info you can suspend automation on a track by track basis for mute separately by Cntrl-apple clicking on the Mute popup button (where you select Volume, Waveform, Pan, etc) this will then make the Mute go Grey and italicized and suspends the Mute automation, but allows automation for Volume and Pan etc.
The Automation enable window is really an Record enable Window for Automation not a play enable window as you might expect.
hope this helps
Simon L.
Yes, I make it a rule to create my reel session templates (for temps) with 8 stereo tracks mute-disabled like this. It's a bummer that PT cannot globally suspend a particular automation type, as this would save lots of time. Mute automation should be easy to turn off completely.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:41 PM

Sleadley wrote:
"Just for your info you can suspend automation on a track by track basis for mute separately by Cntrl-apple clicking on the Mute popup button (where you select Volume, Waveform, Pan, etc) this will then make the Mute go Grey and italicized and suspends the Mute automation, but allows automation for Volume and Pan etc."

Is this trick only for PT6&7? I tried it on my OS9 PT5.1.1 setup and it didn't seem to work unless I did something wrong.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2006, 08:51 AM

bump
Old 09-16-2023, 06:18 PM

Mine seems to be a different cause. It's the Mute Button that turns off when I do Play. The Mute Automation remains on Unmuted.

It happens only on Instrument tracks, and only on some of these. Any thoughts on this please?
Old 09-16-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorax View Post
Mine seems to be a different cause. It's the Mute Button that turns off when I do Play. The Mute Automation remains on Unmuted.

It happens only on Instrument tracks, and only on some of these. Any thoughts on this please?
G'day Welcome to DUC. You've posted on a 9 year old thread in a forum area about old TDM/DSP systems. I suspect you are not running TDM and your issue has nothing to do with this thread.

You might get a bit better help here if you delete your post on this thread, go to this sub-forum https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29 and click on the "New Thread" button that is kinda hidden just below the header for that forum area. And create a new thread.

Have a read of "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. And in that thread describe your setup clearly, esp. what version of Pro Tools (artist, ultimate, etc.) and what release e.g. 2023.6 etc., and the problem clearly.... like are you talking about track mute or midi mute? (And are you looking at the correct automation lane for that Mute?). Are you using a control surface? Any automation software?

To be clear what is happening... you can mute some instrument tracks [track or midi mute?] -- mute button is orange, and then just press play and at some time while playing one or more of the instruments tracks [track or midi mute?] mute button goes grey? And then you can hear that VI? And the track meter and MIDI input meter (show "Instrument" in the mix window view selector) are moving all the time, even when you can't hear anything?
Old 09-16-2023, 07:01 PM

And now we have two threads. This is a duplicate of https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283821&page=2

Please follow the rules and keep to one thread. Now you have stuff scattered in two places and it makes it a PITA for other users here trying to help you with multiple separate conversations going on.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-16-2023 at 07:16 PM.