Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Default How do you get the view to follow the cursor, before you hit play?

...or get the view to step a bar at a time. (This may be stupidly simple and somehow I can figure it out):

I have a single audio track I'm looking at. I want to see where the bar line crosses the wave-form at the start of each bar (beat 1). It would be great if I could just step the cursor, (like you can with the FF REW keys) and the view would follow the cursor—but that doesn't happen... Actually, it kind of did when I engaged 'link timeline and edit selection', but not consistently!! It worked once or twice, and then not.

If step the cursor (FF, REW) then hit PLAY, the view will find the cursor, but by then it's moved past the down beat. I should mention I'm working with the track highly magnified.

Any ideas? I have a lot of downbeats to look at... I'd like to be able to do it quickly.

Last edited by Ling; 03-26-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Re: How do you get the view to follow the cursor, before you hit play?

Change your window scrolling setting and it should work as you need.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Hmm. On both scroll settings, "page", and "after playback" I get the same result:

If the cursor and the edit window view are centered at, say, bar nine (9:1:000), and I tap the FF key—the transport readout will jump to 10:1:000, indicating the playhead has moved to 10:1:000, but the edit window will not move.

If I hold the FF key a fraction of a second longer, and the transport moves to, say, 10:1:227, THEN the edit window will move to follow the cursor—though at the magnification I'm working at it's usually past where I need to be.

The FF and REW keys have two functions, they step through bars if you tap them, and actually FF and REW between bars if you hold them—that I knew—but the variation in the window scroll is a surprise to me...and in this case, an annoyance.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Hi

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but engage the "tab to transients" button

looks like this

http://en.wikiaudio.org/images/4/4e/...nt_button_.png

then use the tab key to move along each transient peak , if the scrolling is set to page then it should move along with it
Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling View Post
Hmm. On both scroll settings, "page", and "after playback" I get the same result:
It will only move after the cursor leaves the view, then PT will "turn the page" so to speak. It wont do this and stay centered which would be nice.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 AM

I struggled with this one today - so i am posting the answer - under the options windows selet "edit window scrolling" to "page. make sure it is not on "no scrolling" as mine was by default....?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 PM

Thank you cruisemates.
Just switched and Im able to see my pages scroll properly!. Thanks