Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Solo Modes???

So what I want to be able to do is solo a track (or group of tracks) then hit solo on another track and have the first lot drop out of solo. ie. so only one track (or group) can be soloed at a time.

This would be really handy when comparing two tracks ie. during mastering when I want to compare volumes etc.

Does anyone know how to enable this? Or if it is even possible?

I had a look through the Pro Tools Reference Guide but couldnt find anything...

Also note that I'm only using LE...
Old 11-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Solo Modes???

From Sound On Sound
Quote:
There are also some new solo features. In the Operations tab of the Preferences window you will see some new Solo Latch options. Latch is the way Solo has always worked before v6.9, where any subsequent Solo buttons you click will latch as well. With the new X-OR (Cancels Previous Solos) option selected, however, pressing another Solo button will deselect the previous one. You can deselect this option by pressing and holding a Solo button on the first soloed track, whereupon subsequent Solo buttons will latch.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-14-2009, 08:36 PM

I fear this may only be for Pro Tools HD... Im only on LE here. When I access the options tab in preferences there are no solo options to select from... I also looked through the other tabs of the preferences window and couldn't find anything.

But the X-OR mode sounds like exactly what I'm after!

Have you actually done this in LE?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutaillis View Post
I fear this may only be for Pro Tools HD... Im only on LE here. When I access the options tab in preferences there are no solo options to select from... I also looked through the other tabs of the preferences window and couldn't find anything.

But the X-OR mode sounds like exactly what I'm after!

Have you actually done this in LE?
Options > Solo Mode > X-OR(Cancels Previous Solo)

Options up in the main menu bar is what you want. Holding Shift while clicking Solo in other tracks will keep the previous selected when in X-OR mode. Another way to group solo is select multiple tracks, hold Shift+ Alt, then click Solo on one of the selected tracks. You can also have the edit cursor placed in more than one track and then hit Shift+S. Many ways to do this.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Shane you rock man

There isnt a keyboard shortcut to switch between modes is there? Just out of curiosity...
Old 11-15-2009, 05:39 AM

I use Solo Latch (X-OR) when on an Icon (or other control surface) but when mousing around on any other system (usually LE on a laptop) without hardware, I usually just use the "solo track with edit cursor" mode which can be toggled on/off with Shift + S.

This puts a track into solo when you have the edit cursor in the track lane (and on groups, since when click into a member of a group, every group member has an edit cursor, all of them go into solo.) This works like latch behaviour without having to go and click on the solo button on the track as you're working. When I'm done working on checking tracks, I just hit Shift + S again to take me out of that mode. In this case, the Option menu is kept on it's default solo mode since it's being ignored anyway when I'm in the "solo track with edit cursor" mode. Saves a lot of time and annoyance of having to mouse to the far right in the edit window each time I want to move between tracks and I can just keep my eye on the waveform for editing.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdutaillis View Post
Shane you rock man

There isnt a keyboard shortcut to switch between modes is there? Just out of curiosity...
Unfortunately no. But, one can easily be created using AutoHotKey. The Skunk Works link in my signature will bring you to the AutoHotKey gurus and users.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit