Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Default Re: "hanging" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

Current Macs Now Qualified With Pro Tools 8.0 HD, LE, M-Powered
UPDATED 4/20/2009 - Pro Tools Compatibility with Newly Released Apple Computers

On March 3rd, Apple, Inc. released new versions of the iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro. We have completed our testing and are pleased to announce that Pro Tools LE and M-Powered 8.0 systems are compatible with these new Apple computers.

In addition to the previously announced Pro Tools HD 8.0 compatibility with the latest Mac Pro "Nehalem Processor" models, the late 2008/early 2009 MacBook Pro models are now qualified with Pro Tools HD 8.0 systems (Magma ExpressBox1 Pro or ExpressBox4 expansion chassis required).

For the most recent information about Digidesign products and updates regarding the qualification of the new iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro, please check the compatibility pages at the Digidesign web site: www.digidesign.com/compatibility

Current compatibility information:
Pro Tools HD 8.0 for Mac OS X System Requirements
Pro Tools LE 8.0 for Mac OS X System Requirements
Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0 for Mac OS X System Requirements

Not Supported
The late 2008 aluminum "unibody" MacBook models and all MacBook Air models are equipped with USB ports only. Because recording to the internal drive or USB drives is not recommended, these models are not tested or supported. There is no way to connect a FireWire drive (or FireWire audio interface) to these Macs. There are no FireWire ports or ExpressCard slots on these models:
MacBook 2.0GHz (MB466LL/A)
MacBook 2.4GHz (MB467LL/A)
MacBook Air (all models)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshhh View Post
Current Macs Now Qualified With Pro Tools 8.0 HD, LE, M-Powered
UPDATED 4/20/2009 - Pro Tools Compatibility with Newly Released Apple Computers

On March 3rd, Apple, Inc. released new versions of the iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro. We have completed our testing and are pleased to announce that Pro Tools LE and M-Powered 8.0 systems are compatible with these new Apple computers.

In addition to the previously announced Pro Tools HD 8.0 compatibility with the latest Mac Pro "Nehalem Processor" models, the late 2008/early 2009 MacBook Pro models are now qualified with Pro Tools HD 8.0 systems (Magma ExpressBox1 Pro or ExpressBox4 expansion chassis required).

For the most recent information about Digidesign products and updates regarding the qualification of the new iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro, please check the compatibility pages at the Digidesign web site: www.digidesign.com/compatibility

Current compatibility information:
Pro Tools HD 8.0 for Mac OS X System Requirements
Pro Tools LE 8.0 for Mac OS X System Requirements
Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0 for Mac OS X System Requirements

Not Supported
The late 2008 aluminum "unibody" MacBook models and all MacBook Air models are equipped with USB ports only. Because recording to the internal drive or USB drives is not recommended, these models are not tested or supported. There is no way to connect a FireWire drive (or FireWire audio interface) to these Macs. There are no FireWire ports or ExpressCard slots on these models:
MacBook 2.0GHz (MB466LL/A)
MacBook 2.4GHz (MB467LL/A)
MacBook Air (all models)

eerrhhmm, excuse me!

ssshhh
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Thumbs down Re: "hanging" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

wow, this is quite a thread! I haven't had time to read even half of it but I have understood that there is no fix.

I agree that this is a real problem that Digi should be working on. I have 3 Macs with Mbox 2s and 002s that exhibit this coreaudiod problem ALL THE TIME. I'm in an educational environment where students are always running other programs through the Digi hardware (Ableton Live, Garageband, iTunes, etc) and we have hard reboot crashes all the time. I'm not sure I understand where the "Pro" is in Pro Tools with these kind of issues.

I'm assuming that other computer audio hardware manufacturers are not having these issues with USB and Firewire connections. I've noticed in the past that Digi is quick to point fingers at other manufacturers when they don't play fair with their interfaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_cal...e_kettle_black ????

To the folks at Digi: you really need to make this a priority. Obviously this is a serious problem for many users...our computers are not intended to solely run your software!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
To the folks at Digi: you really need to make this a priority. Obviously this is a serious problem for many users...our computers are not intended to solely run your software!

bump bump bump bump bump to infinity....

ssshhh
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Bump
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orka veer View Post
Bump
maybe we should change it to "chump"
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 AM

Greetings,

The original Mbox was released in 2002 (ish)
The Mbox 2 was released in 2008 (ish)
The Mbox 3 was realeased in .........

As a company, where would you be spending your income?

ssshhh
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 AM

Digidesign, this post, from a long time ago, says it all and looks 110% true. Don't you care if ALL our systems crash all day FOR OVER TWO YEARS? Doesn't it matter, the CUMULATIVE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF HOURS we've LOST, restarting and then waiting for spotlight to re-do itself after every severe crash, risking our data with hundreds of thousands of severe MBox 2 kernel panics every year causing forced shut downs? It's so clear now...Digi bosses seem to say "Put those engineers on something that can make us more money, not on that boring pesky fix."

"Let's make a Super-Icon and an Uber Axiom Pro and Pro Tools 8.1 and tweak those PT8 colors for those 11 guys yelling on that one thread and we really need to get Boom 1.5 happening etc etc etc.! What?!? I don't want to hear about that stupid MBox 2 problem again!!! We'll deal with that if we have time and/or money later. They'll just forget about it in 2011 when we give them an uber sweet Uber MBox 3 Pro"

It's all seems sadly true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshhh View Post
Let's be realistic, Digidesign do not care whether your system crashes with their product "MBOX2" plugged in the usb port.

They would have resolved the issue by now.

Or maybe they do care, and it has taken over 1 year to find out what the problem is. In the mean time, they bring out a number of new products, untold updates of their software, and yet one of their products STILL has a problem working as advertised!

I am I being a bit too harsh? Have I got it wrong, should I just shut up? Injest the marketing and by another of their hardware products (and newer software version.... number 8) and hope that I have no further problems?!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
risking our data with hundreds of thousands of severe MBox 2 kernel panics every year causing forced shut downs?
That's a very good question.

With this incompatibility issue, Digi soon beats the notorious Native Instruments.

Digi, you should really prioritize this issue NOW. No excuses anymore. This is already unforgivable.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Digidesign, this post, from a long time ago, says it all and looks 110% true. Don't you care if ALL our systems crash all day FOR OVER TWO YEARS? Doesn't it matter, the CUMULATIVE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF HOURS we've LOST, restarting and then waiting for spotlight to re-do itself after every severe crash, risking our data with hundreds of thousands of severe MBox 2 kernel panics every year causing forced shut downs? It's so clear now...Digi bosses seem to say "Put those engineers on something that can make us more money, not on that boring pesky fix."

"Let's make a Super-Icon and an Uber Axiom Pro and Pro Tools 8.1 and tweak those PT8 colors for those 11 guys yelling on that one thread and we really need to get Boom 1.5 happening etc etc etc.! What?!? I don't want to hear about that stupid MBox 2 problem again!!! We'll deal with that if we have time and/or money later. They'll just forget about it in 2011 when we give them an uber sweet Uber MBox 3 Pro"

It's all seems sadly true.
That's not the case at all. I (DigiTechSupt) have been unable to come up with anything to say that is going to satisfy the complaints on this thread and I've driven this issue straight to the top. Currently there are meetings occurring to find a way to address this in a way that's faster than what was currently on the roadmap and, if I'm not mistaken, someone should be in on this thread in the next few days to explain the details.