Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Track/"Channel Strip" Presets DO exist in Pro Tools, apparently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
A huge round of applause to PTPhillip, great work!

Working here on 10.2 HD. This will be part of my workflow from now on.

This should be in 10.3 officially, we just need a way of saving a strip preset directly without renaming for this too work.

I know you can "import session data" - but what would be amazing is if when selecting an insert point on a channel , appearing under one's plugins and i/o there could be an option for "Track Preset" which would allow plugin import from a saved preset onto a prexisting channel. It should also be able to "downstream" i.e. if in slot one i have an eq I want to keep i could call the track preset up in slot two and that would be next in the chain.
Amen to that, I dig your suggestions! It would be awesome to have that type of functionality. What's sad and frustrating for us is that Pro Tools SE actually allows the user to save and recall sets or series of plug-ins in a manner similar to what you described, yet Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD can't. This makes me a sad panda.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 AM

With a HDX rig and TDM rig here I thought we were at the top of the tree, didn't realise SE was where it was all happening. Our studio has a few Avid contacts so i'll get them firing a few emails over to see if we can make this happen, at least we know there's little excuse to hold this feature over to a probable paid upgrade (hello pt11)

It's the gift that keeps on giving today - seems its not just limited to single tracks, you can group say an omnisphere with 8 midi tracks, or a 5 instrument setup with sends etc, export selected tracks, rename to ptxt. Then selecting in the new preset calls them all up , a massive time saver, and so much more workflow friendly than importing session data.

only small problem i've found with this is if you include separate AUX's to access say the omnispheres plugin outputs 3+4, 5+6 etc they come back greyed out in the first instance til you reselect. A small price to pay... there's a lot of backslapping heading towards PTPhillip today.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 AM

Weird, I can't get it working here. Doing it to the letter.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Weird, I can't get it working here. Doing it to the letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTPhillip View Post
YES! YES! Ha ha ha! It's alive! ...

.... also recommend creating folders within "Track Presets" for different categories (ex: Submix Masters, Reverbs, etc) although you can do that later on.
Over here it works only IF I created subfolder(s). If I save it directly into the "Track Presets" folder, nothing shows up
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 06-19-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Over here it works only IF I created subfolder(s). If I save it directly into the "Track Presets" folder, nothing shows up
Yeah, that was it, thanks.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM

This is promising. Hopefully it will be fully implemented in Pro Tools 11. It is really a time-saver in Logic, especially when you want to save a channel setting and mess with it with the ability to easily recall what you had set up to A/B. This would be a nice feature in Pro Tools.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Great find! Just shows it's easy to implement... Avid should have done this YEARS ago.

THANKS for figuring this out in the meantime.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
YES! YES! Ha ha ha! It's alive! I got it to work! The trick is to save templates in folders within a folder titled "Track Presets" within the Avid > Pro Tools folder. So, here are the steps. By the way, I am currently using 10.2, but I'm fairly positive this will work on 8, 9, or 10.

1) Go to Applications > Avid > Pro Tools. Here, create a folder titled "Track Presets". I also recommend creating folders within "Track Presets" for different categories (ex: Submix Masters, Reverbs, etc) although you can do that later on. *Sub folders need to be created for this to work.
2) Create and configure tracks (including inputs, outputs, names, sends, volume, pan, plug-ins, etc) as desired.
3) From the File menu, choose Save As Template.
4) Choose "Select Location for template"
5) Navigate to your Track Presets folder (or sub-folders) or just save anywhere then move to these folders later.
6) Change the extension of the newly saved .ptx file to .ptxt.
Once your templates are saved to this "Track Presets" folder (or folders within it), they will appear as options in the New Track dialog below the normal track types (audio track, aux input track, etc). You can still use Command + Down/Up to switch through these and Option Command Down/Up will switch between multiples in your sub-folders.

Oh man! I so freaking stoked!!!
Great find Phillip!

On Windows 7, make sure "Hide extensions for known files types" is unchecked under Folder Options in Explorer. Also, subfolders need to be created for this to work. The PT shortcut keys in the New Track window are also confirmed working on PC. These Track Presets will also work with groups of tracks, providing they're selected when doing the save.

I'm currently wrapping up a utility app on PC that will automatically change the extension to .ptxt after saving the preset in step 5 above, thus saving one from manually editing the extension and making this fully functional. It's a beauty to see. Can we get plug-in chains now Avid?

Something of note, the extension works as .ptt or ptxt.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Does anyone at Avid or anywhere else have information on these custom track type (channel strip) presets? I can't find anything about them in the reference guide or on any of the forums. People have been requesting this sort of thing in Pro Tools for quite a long time. The link below shows a picture of the track type presets in Pro Tools 10.

http://blog.mixonline.com/mixblog/wp...-Presets-2.png
As suggested, here is a link to a video by Russ Hughes and the step by step below! Thank you everyone!

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...pro-tools.html

Method #1:

-In Applications > Avid > Pro Tools, create a folder titled Track Presets. Inside of that, create folders for separate categories (this is necessary).
-In Pro Tools, select the track(s) that you want to use as a preset.
-Choose "Export Selected Tracks as New Session" from the File menu.
-Press OK in the resulting dialog.
-Choose your location (inside of a subfolder within Track Presets).
-In the Finder, change the extension of the session from .ptx to .ptxt or .ptt.
-Voila!

Method #2:

-In Applications > Avid > Pro Tools, create a folder titled Track Presets. Inside of that, create folders for separate categories (this is necessary).
-In Pro Tools, make a blank session then create and configure tracks (including inputs, outputs, names, sends, volume, pan, plug-ins, etc) as desired.
-From the File menu, choose Save As Template.
-Choose "Select Location for template"
-Navigate to a folder within the Track Presets folder (or create a new folder in Track Presets).
-This will create a .ptxt file automatically (using the Save As Template function)

Once your templates are saved to folders within the "Track Presets" folder, they will appear as options in the New Track dialog below the normal track types (audio track, aux input track, etc). You can still use Command + Down/Up to switch through these and Option Command Down/Up will switch between multiples in your sub-folders.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up Re: Track/"Channel Strip" Presets DO exist in Pro Tools, apparently...

I can't believe that Avid create this track templates for the SE version and did not enabled in all the other versions or even just make the other users aware of this function!!!
Just crazy.

Anyway, this is a great finding and a real time saver!
Thanks for sharing!

Davide