Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools on Linux - Post thoughts please...

I kind of like that AVID is taking a "no" position on something. It helps me feel like the things that haven't had an absolute "no" might actually materialize someday.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
A "slip streamed version of the O.S." has been available for years and I have been advocating it, but every time I mention it here, my posts magically get deleted (thanks, Digi!) So, I guess I won't try mentioning it anymore, even tho it makes their product work exponentially better...
Interesting. I made a few posts on this myself over the years and even started the slip streamed version without any deleted posts etc. There's nothing "illegal" with it from my understanding. One still has to be a registered owner with a serial etc or they wouldn't be able to use it. I'll inquire some more on this with some local OEM system builders.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Interesting. I made a few posts on this myself over the years and even started the slip streamed version without any deleted posts etc. There's nothing "illegal" with it from my understanding. One still has to be a registered owner with a serial etc or they wouldn't be able to use it. I'll inquire some more on this with some local OEM system builders.

Shane
Exactly. I've even explicitly stated those facts along with my posts and they get deleted every time. But whatever. Just providing Avidesign with free support for their customers as always...Where are our checks, Shane?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
there was a lot of work done behind the scenes to get PT and W7 even working at all in it's current state.

Shane
Oh yea, I remember January.

Or was it February?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Audacity is free and works on Linux, Windows and Mac.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:37 AM

It might not be as powerfull as PT but you can do basic stuff with it.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 AM

An Ardour is free and built from the ground up to run on Linux, and it better than Audacity.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
I would recommend that Digidesign uses the Open Source Linux system
It's Open Source we should all be working on it!!!!

Linux, not Pro Tools..... I am trying to make it a part of Ubuntu Studio.

I have been on Ubuntu for about a year and Ubuntu studio for about 8 or 9 months. I have just started to experiment to get Pro Tools to work on this system and I am far from done.

The first thing was to install it with WINE. (A windows emulator)
This looked like it would work but it never got past 97% on the install progress bar.
On a normal windows machine 97% is the part where it tells you to plug-in your digi hardware. I tried it this way too and still nothing.

I have had no luck in loading the ASIO driver into WINE or Ubuntu.

Plan B, is to get a virtual machine running on Ubuntu (that part is ez.) Run XP in the virtual machine and install Pro Tools in there. If that doesn't work, we'll try OSX in the virtual machine.

Now, if that doesn't work......Mac emulator? I am not sure.

At some point this will need to be built into Ubuntu Studio with the 40 or 50 other audio programs... it would be cool if you could use Pro Tools with the JACK audio server/control.

Anyone use Ubuntu Studio?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 PM

I've used Ubuntu Studio a couple of times. I'm mainly a Gentoo user though.

It would be nice if Digi would at least look into this and give us access to the required dll files or drivers to make it work on Linux ourselves, even as an unsupported platform. We have all the "support" right here in the DUC to make this work better on Linux than Digi can on Windows or Mac any day.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Check Point firewalls did this with a Red Hat distro. Granted, their software always ran on Linux. Anyway, the cool thing is, to setup a Check Point firewall/mgmt station, you plop in a CD for SPLAT (Check Point's Linux distro) which installs the OS and then the software. As long as you have supported hardware, it's very cut and dry. Anyway... I've seen this with other software vendors too. The other cool thing is you can also usually run on an appliance they sell or build your own. But there is no screwing with the OS at all. Where in the past we used to have to build Solaris or Red Hat then spend hours tweaking it to support what Check Point required. Anyway... it would be one method for Digi to release a universal OS that was optimized and only had the stuff needed to run their software. But then the issue comes down to 3rd party plugs and such. Anyway...