Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM

Thumbs down Object Grabber Tool.. get it together DIGI!

For the love of all things sacred.. stop updating ProTools with new features and FIX the F*****G ones that we NEED and currently dont work.

the object grabber tool has a very well documented and consistent habit of selecting seemingly random regions on the same track as the regions you're selecting. So regions up and down the time line get muted/deleted/moved without you realizing until its way too late..

Who do we need to appeal to over there to have our voices heard huh?? Can we get a name.. a number.. SOMETHING?? Something that will SHUT DOWN the new feature software department and redirect their resources towards actually FIXING problems instead of just creating new ones. I know all of us eagerly await the next great soft synth/midi feature/totally awesome bomb factory compressor that will make our lame-ass guitar licks sound totally "vintage".. but some of us just need to work.. and I really feel like we dont have a voice in your company. Because guess what?.. ProTools 8 doesnt fix the damn grabber tool does it?.. in addition to not fixing many of the long standing issues that deeply affect the small percentage of us that arent at home with MBoxes making an awesome demo in our spare time.

HEAR US and DO SOMETHING about these issues PLEASE!!!!!!

end rant...

P.S. i mean really.. its the GRABBER TOOL.. what is more important to you people than making sure that works???? honestly!!!?!?!??!?!? YAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

actual end of rant.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Object Grabber Tool.. get it together DIGI!

I have used the object grabber tool quite a bit, and I've never had issues. What exactly is wrong with it? Any scenario that would reproduce the problem(s)?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM

curious about this myself never had any problems but would love to hear about it maybe i've never noticed them
Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM

never experienced this...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Thumbs down Re: Object Grabber Tool.. get it together DIGI!

heres one kinda..

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...t=Grabber+Tool

not as well documented as I would have assumed.. but its a problem that affects almost everyone i talk to across multiple versions/systems.. I work in LA on feature film sound.

basically the object grabber decides to grab other regions besides the one you're grabbing.. more often than not.. outside of the visible window.. so you think you're moving/muting/deleting 1 region but you're actually doing the same thing to 2 or more regions off-screen without knowing it..

Maybe its a session-size thing...?? We work in really huge sessions. I always (ALWAYS) hit or exceed my voice limit and my track limit.. (HD3 192 voices)

eh.. w/e.. unless it starts to affect MBox users i dont really expect digi to do anything about it..

just a rant.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Avid

A fix is in Pro Tools 8 for this and we're investigating if it can be rolled into a CS release for previous Pro Tools versions.

And, believe me, I feel your pain. I push and advocate at every turn to get things like this fixed.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM

So it really is a known issue...thanks for sharing. I'll be more careful in the future.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM

I would MUUUUCH rather have the dream features in PT8 that a perfect grabber tool, thank you very much. And I don't even want to hear about the grabber tool when we couldn't even mute a midi note until PT8.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
I would MUUUUCH rather have the dream features in PT8 that a perfect grabber tool, thank you very much. And I don't even want to hear about the grabber tool when we couldn't even mute a midi note until PT8.
Are you kidding? The features in PT should work properly - all of them. We work with the tools we have, not the ones we dream about.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:11 PM

Unless you don't even have the tools in the first place. I am a composer, not a editor and a mixer. There are too many useless features in PT to me. I needed PT to be a musical sequencer (which it never was until PT8) and have decent midi editing features and good VI capability. I can tolerate a tiny bug here and there. I've never noticed any grabber problems, but I sure a hell get irate when my PT rig can only run two RTAS VIs at once!!!!! Or having to change track views just to change a midi note volume. That's what makes me rant. Viva the New Features Department!