Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Urgent help is needed

Hello

(This is a follow up on the other thread i made http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=249152)

Anyway. I have used my mbox with vista 64bit for allmost 2 years now without any problems, worked perfectly with winamp and FL Studio. One day it suddenly didnt appear as a output in winamp and FL Studio kept giving me "Error creating ASIO Driver", so i reformatted. I installed a fresh Vista 64bit, installed the driver but same thing happened.

I created a thread here, where i got told that there is no 64bit support, and im absolutely sure i have used 64bit the last 2 years. I decided to just sweep my harddisk just now and do another install but vista 32bit this time..

Well, same problem occurs, so its apparently not vista 64bit causing my itches, i still cant get any sound from FL Studio (I can chose the driver just fine, but all channels are used up by something so it wont allow me to use it), and the wave driver is not visible inside winamp. And with the Winamp ASIO Plugin its the same story, music wont play..

So, what might be the problem? Im really annoyed about it at this moment since i have taken time to do 3 windows reinstalls with the same problem occuring!

Any help is REALLY appreciated!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Urgent help is needed

That "working perfectly" statement is all too true for using an unsupported configuration.
Somewhere, out of the clear blue, your lucks runs out and it stops working, for no apparent reason. Pro Tools was written for a 32-bit operating system, and for you to eliminate variables, your best bet would be to follow the guidelines and install a 32-bit OS. (Incidentally, which version of Vista? Not all are qualified for PT.)
You will also find that the more serious among users (read: those of us counting on this for our living) are still using Win XP 32 bit, not Vista. For the vast majority of us, it's still the most stable.
Reading back thru your original thread, I see no Sandra report, so that would be the best place to start.
Repeated fresh installs of the wrong OS aren't going to solve anything.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 PM

As far as im aware vista 32bit (which i am running now) are supported, or thats what im told. I arent bothered going out buying XP 32bit just so i can use this card, that would be absurd.

BTW im using the ASIO/Wave drivers only, am not using Pro tools, nor i have it installed.

What is Sandra report? I havent heard of that.

I have no idea why i had luck with the drivers at the first place, i bought some Adam A7 monitors two years ago and used them together with some other thing im not sure what was, then i heard that there was the wave driver for the mbox so i took it up from a moving box plugged it in and installed the driver and wupti no more than that.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM

SOME versions of Vista are supported. Read this.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=133039

Sandra report: read this.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193637

Also bear in mind that Digi made their hardware to run their software, not to be a general-purpose piece of gear, so getting it to play with OTHER software is an "iffy" propostion at best. Sometimes it works just fine, others not. Which begs the question, if you have the Mbox, why not use Pro Tools?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
That "working perfectly" statement is all too true for using an unsupported configuration.
Somewhere, out of the clear blue, your lucks runs out and it stops working, for no apparent reason. Pro Tools was written for a 32-bit operating system, and for you to eliminate variables, your best bet would be to follow the guidelines and install a 32-bit OS. (Incidentally, which version of Vista? Not all are qualified for PT.)
You will also find that the more serious among users (read: those of us counting on this for our living) are still using Win XP 32 bit, not Vista. For the vast majority of us, it's still the most stable.
Reading back thru your original thread, I see no Sandra report, so that would be the best place to start.
Repeated fresh installs of the wrong OS aren't going to solve anything.
sw rec, I am not going to take up time replying to everyone that responds like you do, but Thank You. Please read my "I have another request " thread. You are a great example, along with many others, esp Tom and Shane, of the kind people that spend time helping others.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 PM

I am not using pro tools since in my opinion it lacks many midi options. And since its midi i use most for trance production i didnt really like it.

I just dont get why this arent working. Its the EXACTLY same version of vista i used for the last 2 years that i tryed at first with negative results. What could cause it to suddenly stop working?

How come that i can see the ASIO Driver, i can chose it, i can play my synth through it, midi is registered and it works on my monitors - There is just no channels for me to get any sound from when i do playback. Wouldnt the lack of support do something else?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labze View Post
Hello

(This is a follow up on the other thread i made http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=249152)

Anyway. I have used my mbox with vista 64bit for allmost 2 years now without any problems, worked perfectly with winamp and FL Studio. One day it suddenly didnt appear as a output in winamp and FL Studio kept giving me "Error creating ASIO Driver", so i reformatted. I installed a fresh Vista 64bit, installed the driver but same thing happened.
The best weapon when trouble shooting is to ask and look for, "What has changed?" A perfectly working system that now has a problem means something in the system has been changed. This could be a new app or plug-in installed, something got updated, a new hardware driver was installed, etc. Use True Image once you get a good solid system up and running. I'd also suggest a dual boot system with a firm studio policy that the DAW partition is locked out from any changes like Internet browsing, auto updates turned off, no other plug-ins or apps installed etc. If something does get messed up, reverting back to the rock solid disk image that one created is best to get back up and running quickly.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The best weapon when trouble shooting is to ask and look for, "What has changed?" A perfectly working system that now has a problem means something in the system has been changed. This could be a new app or plug-in installed, something got updated, a new hardware driver was installed, etc. Use True Image once you get a good solid system up and running. I'd also suggest a dual boot system with a firm studio policy that the DAW partition is locked out from any changes like Internet browsing, auto updates turned off, no other plug-ins or apps installed etc. If something does get messed up, reverting back to the rock solid disk image that one created is best to get back up and running quickly.

Shane
Im aware of stuff like that. Im not sure if anything changed, other than my antivirus close to expire date. The issue happened shortly after i downloaded a new album from TDC Play, i played a few tracks and when it switched there was no sound, i restarted winamp and still nothing, i checked the output and the digidesign wave driver had disappeared from there, i opened FL Studio and there was no channels available, i played a bit around and decided that my computer could use a reformat anyway - Still same problem.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 PM

"BTW im using the ASIO/Wave drivers only, am not using Pro tools, nor i have it installed."

There is no WaveDriver from Digidesign for 32 bit Vista - yet. It's purportedly in the works. There is a Digidesign 32 bit Windows ASIO driver for Vista. Digidesign does not support 64 bit operating systems at this time.

"and the wave driver is not visible inside winamp"

See above.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM

God, there's always the old standard to fall back on...Did you install Internet Explorer 8? MS has a sneaky way of downloading stuff. And I always have to ask, are you sure your Version of Vista was 64 bit in the first place? (look on the hardware page in system)