Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Default Summing a stereo track to mono

I use Ocean Way Drums DL as my primary drum module. While the sound is great, the downside of the DL version (now apparently discontinued) is that there are no discrete channels for the stereo room mics. Instead the room mics are blended into each kit piece channel in three different preset levels (dry, medium and ambient). Because of this, all kit piece samples are stereo. I have the full-version of Kontakt so I can set up independent mono channels for each kit piece and route them to independent mono track in Pro Tools, but then I have lost half of the stereo room mic sample.

I hate mixing all stereo tracks (especially trying to pan stereo tracks -- it just doesn't seem to be as clean), so I have been getting around this by recording the stereo samples to stereo tracks in Pro Tools (one for each kit piece), manually splitting each stereo track to mono and then bussing the two resulting mono tracks back back to a single mono track. And that just sucks. Is there a better way? Is there a plugin, perhaps, that could be instantiated on a mono track that would accept the stereo in from Kontakt and sum it to mono on the fly? Seems unlikely, but I'm kind of grasping at straws here.

In hindsight, I wish I had just saved up a bit more cash until I could find a better deal on Ocean Way Silver, which includes mono and stereo samples, plus discrete sets of stereo room mics so that levels can be set independently (instead of just dry, medium, ambient). With DL, if the medium preset has not quite enough room but ambient has too much, the only option is to bus ambient to another reverb, which feels strange adding reverb to the room mics.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Summing a stereo track to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadh View Post
I hate mixing all stereo tracks (especially trying to pan stereo tracks -- it just doesn't seem to be as clean), so I have been getting around this by recording the stereo samples to stereo tracks in Pro Tools (one for each kit piece), manually splitting each stereo track to mono and then bussing the two resulting mono tracks back back to a single mono track. And that just sucks. Is there a better way? Is there a plugin, perhaps, that could be instantiated on a mono track that would accept the stereo in from Kontakt and sum it to mono on the fly? Seems unlikely, but I'm kind of grasping at straws here.
To do this on the fly, you could record straight into a mono track by sending the source stereo track on a mono bus..

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Fantastic,very handy indeed,God you learn something new every day.

This is exactly what im talking about in the silly post in the (pt on win vista 64bit thread)

Shane dont you even think of moving to reaper,don't make sence.

shea
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Maybe you could contact the company to find out if maybe there's an upgrade path to the gold edition.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea View Post
Fantastic,very handy indeed,God you learn something new every day.

This is exactly what im talking about in the silly post in the (pt on win vista 64bit thread)

Shane dont you even think of moving to reaper,don't make sence.

shea
I use both Pro Tools and REAPER in my day to day work and will continue to do so. Each has it's unique strengths that better suite different parts of a project and session.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Excellent tip, thank you! I haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet, but presumably the stereo track is automatically summed to mono when it hits the bus?

Assuming so, that would mean a bunch of temporary tracks at first, but that tracking could be completed in a single pass rather than two! Good deal.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Maybe you could contact the company to find out if maybe there's an upgrade path to the gold edition.
I'm going to contact them to try exactly that (except to Silver rather than Gold). I intend the play the "poor me" card to the fullest, since the promise of the DL version was that additional kits -- including the multi-channel kits) could be purchased a la cart. None of those kits are available for purchase on that site I purchased it from (downloadablesoundz, which I think is Sonic Reality's online store).

Further, the site has also some lost the $39 credit balance I had remaining on my account after my purchase. My account now reflects $0.

Between those failings, perhaps they'll have pity on me and offer me a discounted upgrade to Silver. :)
Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Excellent tip, thank you! I haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet, but presumably the stereo track is automatically summed to mono when it hits the bus?
Yes.

Quote:
Assuming so, that would mean a bunch of temporary tracks at first, but that tracking could be completed in a single pass rather than two! Good deal.

Thanks!
You can make inactive and hide your temp tracks for session management.

Shane

Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yes.

You can make inactive and hide your temp tracks for session management.

Shane
Oh I know. I actually will just delete the temp stereo once tracking is done.