Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Im Afraid I\'ll Have To Say This!!

Hi everybody.
I had a chance to day to see a hd system at work and especially how they record and punch.

What I want to say is that the signal path rooting in le and mpowered is a total shambles.Its a little better in le when your using mbox,because the mbox has hardware direct monitoring but with the top of the range m audio 1814 which hasn't got this, your left with pro tool's stupid input monitoring and auto input monitoring which you can not disable.Digi dont get me wrong here I love pt but you should have a look at how nuendo and sonar handles this.....(propperly).

In todays pro recording there is no way you can live with any and I mean any kind of latency when your tracking and doing overdubs.hence why we use hard ware desks and pre's for monitoring.

In pro tools this is no problem eighter when your doing a single pass recording because you can mute the track your recording on, but you have to unmute it, if you want to do a drop in.This is a joke digi Isn't it?
With the 1814, pt ,and a desk, this problem is so much of a shambles that even the experts on this forum dont even know what your talking about.Its funny that the engeneer i was talking to, to day had no problem understanding it.

Its very simple really,to digi or who ever,can you disable both auto input monitoring and input only monitoring in pt? and if you can,how? then problem solved. You can do it in any other sequencer that I know.

Brandy
Old 09-26-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Im Afraid I\'ll Have To Say This!!

I don't think your repeated posts have ever been a problem of comprehension - you can't do what you want to do with the lite version of ProTools.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:05 PM

Have you tried holding your breath untill you turn blue?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Hi everybody.
I had a chance to day to see a hd system at work and especially how they record and punch.

What I want to say is that the signal path rooting in le and mpowered is a total shambles.Its a little better in le when your using mbox,because the mbox has hardware direct monitoring but with the top of the range m audio 1814 which hasn't got this, your left with pro tool's stupid input monitoring and auto input monitoring which you can not disable.Digi dont get me wrong here I love pt but you should have a look at how nuendo and sonar handles this.....(propperly).

In todays pro recording there is no way you can live with any and I mean any kind of latency when your tracking and doing overdubs.hence why we use hard ware desks and pre's for monitoring.

In pro tools this is no problem eighter when your doing a single pass recording because you can mute the track your recording on, but you have to unmute it, if you want to do a drop in.This is a joke digi Isn't it?
With the 1814, pt,and a desk, this problem is so much of a shambles that even the experts on this forum dont even know what your talking about.Its funny that the engeneer i was talking to, to day had no problem understanding it.

Its very simple really,to digi or who ever,can you disable both auto input monitoring and input only monitoring in pt? and if you can,how? then problem solved. You can do it in any other sequencer that I know.

Brandy

first off, quite a few of us here including myself has and use hd systems regularly in the manner you are talking about, we are not stupid. also never mention how you are tracking, computer, system, settings, buffer and such, console you are using, how you are getting it to pro tools, (mult, aux..what??) many of us are tracking on a 64 hardware buffer setting regularly with no latency problems on the quads and loving it.

are you are monitoring your instrument pre tape?? which is fine but we do what we gotta do. dont like it spend $15,000 on an hd rig and stop whining. you obviously dont have the money or you would, so why bother whining about it. most of us have no problems with this whatsoever. learn the software better, learn your quick keys, punch in on an adjacent track and pop it in. if you know your quick keys and focus command keys you can cut, mute a section in a matter of seconds, punch in on adjacent track, throw it in, problem solved. that is some of the stuff where pro tools excels, editing rocks!! plus isnt this what your monitoring options are for?? do you use pre/post roll?? i use it all the time for punching in, why is latency a problem??

many of us have spent literally hundreds of hours learning this stuff and are not leaving. there are pro's and cons to everything and many of us are not leaving pro tools. we figure out workarounds or solve the problems another way, that is what this forum is for, ask and some of the talented people here would love to help you through, but not if you are approaching it like this.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
...your left with pro tool's stupid input monitoring and auto input monitoring which you can not disable.
Type alt+K to toggle between Auto Input and Input only Monitoring.

Quote:
Record with 'Low Latency Monitoring' selected. On the 002 it will be - Options > Low Latency Monitoring. Or, if you want to track through plug-ins, build a Quad and record with the buffer at 64.

Some Quad screen shots with the buffer at 64.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
...your left with pro tool's stupid input monitoring and auto input monitoring which you can not disable.
Type alt+K to toggle between Auto Input and Input only Monitoring.
He's not asking how to toggle input and auto input monitoring, he's asking how to disable it completely (which is not possible)
Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 PM

This is too funny. Been at this in my studio with diff. machines over tat time with no rel issues but mix power.... Built a QUAD and that is done with.

Can I get some CHEESE with all that whine please...

Jesus.... Learn your system or buy int the HIGHend realm.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 09-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
then how do you handle using any kind of digital system, especialy a native one if your not going to use hardware monitoring. how do you even put up with the latency caused by using a mic pre or a compressor, i hope all your cables are short. everything induces latency, sound is slow it takes time to travel through a wire, learn to work with it.

if you cant figure out how to punch in you need to learn your system the rest of us do it frequently without a problem either if mixing in pro tools or on an analogue desk.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM

Thanks for sharing.

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯
Old 09-27-2006, 05:17 AM

Oh ... he hung up