Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Simple hard drive question as I build new computer

I am probably ganna drop 1000 dollars on plugs, native software, and BFD for drums all together...WHat would be the best way to store eveything that would make everything run most efficient. Right now I have 2 raptor hard drives. One is 36, the other is 74. Im wondering if I should get a third hardrive...

I will put protools one one hard drive and the sessions on the other. I just curious where would be the best place to put plugs, native instruments, and BFD with all its drum samples. On the protools harddrive? Session? New Hard drive? Thanks for taking the time

-Brian
Old 06-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Simple hard drive question as I build new comp

Quote:
I am probably ganna drop 1000 dollars on plugs, native software, and BFD for drums all together...WHat would be the best way to store eveything that would make everything run most efficient. Right now I have 2 raptor hard drives. One is 36, the other is 74. Im wondering if I should get a third hardrive...

I will put protools one one hard drive and the sessions on the other. I just curious where would be the best place to put plugs, native instruments, and BFD with all its drum samples. On the protools harddrive? Session? New Hard drive? Thanks for taking the time

-Brian
You wont have a problem with your 2 Raptor drives. I use the same ones on the Quad. Your plug-ins have to go on the system drive no matter what along with Pro Tools. You cant change that. But, put any audio used for plug-ins like BFD on your audio drive. Also, you want your PT seesions that you work on to be on the Audio drive. You wont have a problem.

I have been doing some crazy production sessions with BFD on the Raptors. Not one problem.

-PT LE and plug-ins will be on your System Drive with XP.
-PT sessions will be put on your Audio Drive when you create them.
-BFD and other plug-ins that use streaming audio will have the audio put on the Audio Drive also.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Ok, so with BFD, install the program on the XP/protools/plug in drive but the actual audio (drum samples) install to the audio drive? I havent installed it yet obviously so I don't know how the installation process of it goes. Let me know if this is correct. Thanks Shan. To this point I've asked you about 36 questions in the past month. I feel like I should pay you for becoming my own customer serivce unintentionally
Old 06-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Ok, so with BFD, install the program on the XP/protools/plug in drive but the actual audio (drum samples) install to the audio drive? I havent installed it yet obviously so I don't know how the installation process of it goes. Let me know if this is correct. Thanks Shan.
Yes. It will make more sense when you install it and get it going.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit