Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Red face So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

Been a long time since the Revolution of Sampling was announced and published.

I give you that it is revolutionary, but not in the sense that you hoped.
The only thing resembling a revolution, is that in the history of mankind, there has never been a sampler with less sounds available.

Your SPECS state that and I quote

Quote:
Use your existing SampleCell, Kontakt 1 and 2, and EXS24 sound libraries* (supports up to 8-channel interleaved samples)
1) I have many samples for SampleCell I & II and Structure is not remotely able to read ANY of them so that they sound right.

2) I have 200 GB of EXS samples and Structure is not able to load A SINGLE ONE OF THEM so that they sound as they are supposed to sound.

3) I have a huge Kontakt library and with the risk of sounding redundant, Structure is not remotely able to read ANY of them so that they sound right.

OK - So you support 8 Channels of interleaved samples. Whatever that means I am sure it is good but I would rather be able to load my libraries just like your advertisement states.

So I tried converting the samples with

1) CDXtract - this application is awesome and converting anything to NKI format, I can load directly (the programs) into MachFive2 with NO PROBLEMS and it sounds great. Trying to load the same files in Structure aint possible as Structure simply does not see the programs. CDXTract is a great app

2) Translator PRO - I am not sure if this app could even translate its own name and get it right. Never have I used a worse software than that. But I tried it nevertheless, as I have paid money for it... I started off with an AKAI CD and converted the AKAI format into STRUCTURE format, which Translator Pro is supposedly capable of doing. I got some sounds out of it. But I had to laugh. Keeping the key pressed for more than 2 seconds and the note would pitch from its current pitch all the way up and then all the way down and then stop.... Additionally, it never sounded the way it should sound.

It goes without saying, that I dont feel like editing EACH and EVERY patch before I can play in in Structure.

I am sure that all your great features like being able to drag a region into Structure's patch is an immense feature that everyone, wanting to do anything that they can in PT's Timeline or making patches for Structure are loving. Why would I need something like that. I know that Phil Jackson thought it was cool that he could pull in a vocal and make a double tracking out of it for harmonies. But you can do that better and faster in PT's timeline.

A sampler should - and this is of course only my opinion

1) Load 3rd pty programs
2) Do fast searches
3) Cancel a search

4) Browse its sound library fast and easily - I ask myself if YOU ever browse sounds yourself and if you like it.
5) Have a great Factory sound library
6) Work with slices
7) Be seen - we have screens today which are bigger than 12"

Just to beat it a little more>

ONE of the most IMPORTANT things for a great sampler or should I say Revolutionary sampler, is the access to its core library. Your Browser is as big as my watch and I wouldn't like to browse for samples there. My iPhone has a bigger area than that of Structure's revolutionary small browser. Some things are meant to be small. Like Mobile phones, needles or hearing aids - NOT BROWSERS. You ARE supposed to SEE what resides inside of them

Could you maybe tell your customers, who bought your revolutionary sampler what you are planning to do and IF you are planning. I would really like to know.

Thank You
Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Re: So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

Interesting.

There aren't too many sampler/synth plugin browsers I enjoy but I must say that having used Omnisphere, I think Spectrasonics really cracked it and I think all others should follow.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 PM

Structure is terrible. Agree with all of the above. Wish I could get that $400 back.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:42 AM

I've said it before.
Digi dont care about adding new functionality in their current line of plug ins.
I posted several threads about stereo support in drum rehab.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 AM

I think digidesign, or AIR or WIZOO or whoever had the audacity to release this software, should chime in here and lay the cards on the table.

One thing is to pay for something that is not really working, which has, sadly, become the standard of the software industry, and I can, somewhat, live with that.

The second thing is the HOPE that things may get better. But if no one chimes in here and state what the plans are or if any, then I have bought my last AIR product. No matter how revolutionary AIR claim their software to be.

That is the funny thing about a claim. One CAN claim something but it aint until the fact has been proven that the claim appeals for a piece of reality.

I personally think that by claiming that Structure is the future of sampling has done nothing but ruin the reputation of AIR. Cuz if Structure is the future of sampling, then George Bush was the future of democratic freedom.

Since Structure's release there has been done nothing to address the issues that everyone seem to be having. Instead we have been fed a bunch of mediocre AIR plug-ins which resemble the quality of Logic Pro's bundles plugs. They are nice but I seriously doubt that I am ever going to use them.

ALL THE TIME IT TOOK TO DEVELOP THOSE --- AIR could have been doing something about Structure

Funny thing is that AIR is short for "Advanced Instrument Research"

They cant even RESEARCH ONE INSTRUMENT that loads up properly in Structure that has not been explicitly written for it....

Come on digi, you have gotta say something. Even if it is "We are not going to develop Structure any further" - at least then I and others can throw Structure in the trash and move on to greener grass.

Come to think of it. SampleCell was a GREAT sampler. Loved by so many. How could you manage to mess up so royally with a new product when all you would have had to do was to look a few years into the past and modify SampleCell to endure todays needs.

But then again - we are talking about the people from the German company WIZOO which have become infamous for simply dropping ANYTHING they made in the past. I am talking DARBUKA and LATIGO. Great plugs - 100000 times better than Structure. They got dropped along with ANY support so that WIZOO could call them selves AIR and begin a path of making new and worse plugs which they could then AGAIN just stop developing.

My little crystal ball is telling me that there are going to be a lot of talk about AIR and its airy policies in the future to come. Funny how a company which brings forth the best software a computer has ever seen(PT) also "prides" themselves with a company(AIR) who cannot make their software work.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:45 AM

+1 I think maybe a new sampling product needs to be released and given free to those who bought Structure, one with the lightweight efficiency of EXS (you can run ENDLESS EXS samplers in a Logic session) and with quick sound browsing, which is vital in the days of 500,000 sampler patches. Computers can load a patch's associated samples so quickly these days, a soft sampler should be only slightly slower at loading sounds than XPand! The more I try to use it, the more totally off the mark in multitudes of ways I realize it is. I just repurchased Kontakt last week because of the hopefull NI press release:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/foru...ad.php?t=72114

AND ALL PT VI PLUGS ***URGENTLY*** NEED A KEY COMMAND FOR "NEXT" AND "PREVIOUS" PATCH LOADING. IT'S UNREAL THAT WE HAVE TO RUN THROUGH HUNDREDS AND/OR THOUSANDS OF PATCHES A DAY USING OUR MICE HELD ON TOP OF THAT TINY "+" OR "-" BUTTON. And yes, of course I know that you can open the patch browser window to quickly audition new patches with the keyboard keys, but when you have that window open, you're locked out of doing anything else simultaneously in PT. Not Okay.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 AM

I beta tested Structure. The EXS conversion problems were there all along, but it didn't seem to be a priority item. Interestingly enough, the Chicken Systems Translator claim of EXS - Structure conversion is also totally baseless. Again, I worked on translating, reported that it didn't work, got nowhere. So, maybe it's very hard to do, I don't know, but it's clearly not going to happen. Structure is a powerful instrument, but without the ability to grow your library, it doesn't amount to much. I really love Velvet, Transfuser, but it seems that when content becomes the issue, like Structure and Strike, it's always an issue....

AS
Old 02-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snitz View Post
snip ...

Again, I worked on translating, reported that it didn't work, got nowhere. So, maybe it's very hard to do, I don't know, but it's clearly not going to happen. AS
All other samplers and apps do it on the fly with an accuracy of 95% - and AIR cannot figure that out. Maybe they should pull out "Advanced" of the Advanced Instrument Research and call it - Superficial Instrument Research - SIR

I downloaded the BETA of structure back then too, and I have reported ALL those issues back then. Nobody seems to have been reading that. Another indicator that BETA testers are simply ignored when they actually find something. What a world we live in.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks 25ghosts for the little Translator Pro review.

I was about to purchase it...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...onversion.html
Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Actually I find it extremely frustrating not to have a properly working Sampler (mainly in regard of importing libraries) within PT8.