Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

I just updated the first post.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I got a bit of good news. I took out 2G of ram and just left in 2G. My Dverb result dropped down to 128 Dverbs from 134. So extra ram will give you a few more extra plug-ins.

So it looks like a 265 quad system with 4G of ram gets the same results as a 270 quad system with 2G of ram. Some money can be saved in that area for any future quad builders. But also keep in mind that I have the Tyan board which may be a factor.

I'll have to get 3J's Maudio hardware to see if I can duplicate his amazing results
debating on whether to buy more ram for my system or just buy and audiophile and PT-MP to mix with?? feels strange when i say it out loud to myself!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
...debating on whether to buy more ram for my system or just buy and audiophile and PT-MP to mix with?? feels strange when i say it out loud to myself!
I'm sure you're not alone. As far as mixing goes, you should be more than fine on a very heavy mix with what you have.

Another thing to consider is that Digi is known to "fix" odd ball things like this.

I can think of quite a few cool things that they have "fixed" throughout the years. One of them is the multiple Maudio audio interfaces that you could have in 6.9 on M-powered. Another is the 32 tracks that you can get in PT LE 5.1(yes, you read that correctly, and I'm not talkin'about any hacks) And there is more.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-17-2006, 08:38 PM

Hello everyone. I first want to say thanks to all of you for putting together such a good resource about all these quad cores. It has been helpful beyond belief.

Now, I have a few questions, as I am strongly considering building a quad core machine within the next month or so.

1) I was thinking about buying a laptop, but seeing how inexpensive these quad cores have become, it seems to me that my money would be better spent on a much more powerful system. However, I would still like to do mobile recording at times, so I was wondering what your opinions are on building a quad core in a rack mount case, and mounting that in a portable rack. I could get a rack case with enough room to have a slide out shelf with a keyboard on it, and I could use a flat panel monitor for mobility purposes.

2) I'm a little unclear as to whether or not these machines will run with only one processor installed. I probably won't have the cash to buy two processors right now, but buying only one and then upgrading later would be about the same price as putting together a system around an AMD X2.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
evanbradford.com
clearlakerecordingstudios.com
feverrecording.com
Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
...I would still like to do mobile recording at times, so I was wondering what your opinions are on building a quad core in a rack mount case, and mounting that in a portable rack. I could get a rack case with enough room to have a slide out shelf with a keyboard on it, and I could use a flat panel monitor for mobility purposes.
3JDamons Quad is totally rackmounted and portable. He does mobile recording. Dont forget that Workstation/Server boards are made to be rackmounted. You'll have no problem.

I posted a link to his rackmount case on the first post.

Quote:
I'm a little unclear as to whether or not these machines will run with only one processor installed.
Yes. You can start with one CPU on the quad boards and add the second later as your budget allows.

I'll update my first post to include this info.

Shane

Old 04-17-2006, 09:53 PM

Hey Shane,

I live in Vancouver as well. My system specs are below. How can I add a second CPU to my system??

..Roy
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM

Well that is just amazing that that works out so well. That case is perfect as long as it's not too loud. 3JDamon, do the fans on that case make a lot of noise? I noticed that they are pretty small, so I would imagine that they spin faster than larger fans.
evanbradford.com
feverrecording.com
Old 04-17-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Hey Shane,

I live in Vancouver as well. My system specs are below. How can I add a second CPU to my system??

..Roy
You'll have to do quite a bit of updating on your system in the hardware and software department.

Shane

Old 04-17-2006, 10:09 PM

Shane,

I have all the software, just hav`nt installed yet. What can you tell me about the hardware....what would I need to buy

Thanks Shane.........

....roy
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 04-17-2006, 10:09 PM

One more thing....I was looking at that case, and I don't see how it's rackmountable. Everywhere I look classifies it as a desktop case. Is there a kit or something that you buy to make it into a rackmount case?
evanbradford.com
feverrecording.com