Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
So I didn't read through the 29 pages of this but I'm trying to find out if my friends Control 24 (The one with Focusrite Pre-Amps) will work with Pro Tools HD 11. Currently he is using PT 7HD but looking to upgrade and to my knowledge the only upgrade path is PT11 HD?
You cannot upgrade PTHD 8 or earlier to PT11HD, but there is an upgrade path from 7HD or 8HD to 10HD:

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...07527273749472

10HD is the last version that will work with the control 24 and the last version that will work with the TDM HD hardware. If he wants to go to 11HD, he'll need to move to HDX or HD Native, and the control 24 will need to be replaced as well.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Actually there is a big difference. Your ssl fx g384 doesn't need a computer to work. Your microphone doesn't need drivers on a computer to work, and no matter what os version or if you're now using a 128 bit windows system (eh maybe one day) Your microphone will still work. But a computer who talks to an other computer needs a translator (drivers) when they are not from the same place or time, or just to talk properly together.
I completely disagree because in the end, they are all products.. they are all products that can still function and serve a real purpose for making music.. Are you trying to suggest that it is acceptable to abandon a fully functional item that costs upward of $15,000.? I'm not sure why you are taking time to argue this.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
I completely disagree because in the end, they are all products.. they are all products that can still function and serve a real purpose for making music...
The Control 24 still functions perfectly and serves a real purpose for making music with PT10 and will continue to do so. Nothing at all has changed in that regard. I do think they should provide a newer driver if at all possible but even if they don't they haven't broken it.

Perhaps the lesson here is be very wary of purchasing very large and expensive mice.

Just kidding...
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

As mentioned a few times earlier in this thread, I remapped a few buttons on my Control 24 almost 6 years back. I no longer have that controller at hand, but I definitely kept my data from that venture. Since I still have the output data from those specific buttons, I was able to develop a software emulator of the Control 24 Navigation section that outputs the exact same data. This was very quickly slapped together, and I didn't even put comments in the code. It uses AHK, a bit of C++ and just the standard basic Windows API's. Nothing more. In this video example, I gave the Control 24 a new feature and something I always wanted on it, which was the ability to cycle through plug-in presets via the up/down buttons using the Sel Adj button as a toggled modifier!

I first use the buttons on the UI of the Control 24 Nav Section emulator app, and then demonstrate via keyboard > Nav app > Pro Tools.

Click and play to see the Control 24 Nav emulator in action:

It's definitely not a crime to write computer programs and software in order to enhance and speed up one's daily workflow and production. It's also not a crime to write software in order to maintain one's tried and true hardware tools for the job. There is nothing malicious or illegal in doing so. It's pretty much part of the modern recording engineers job to at least be able to know a basic scripting language these days. I myself actually encourage it. In my opinion, considering otherwise is just straying away from the original purpose of a computer as far as one can get. There are definitely multiple ways to get basic functionality going again on these two controllers.

I'll post an advanced comping video next, and then I'll do the default nav and zoom...but maybe make them better.

Shane
Attached Images
File Type: png Knight of the old Code.png (64.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Control 24 Nav Section TB.jpg (45.3 KB, 0 views)

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
It's definitely not a crime to write computer programs and software in order to enhance and speed up one's daily workflow and production. It's also not a crime to write software in order to maintain one's tried and true hardware tools for the job.

Shane
Heck no it aint - and between friends and studio partners - I would sell it to them -
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Actually there is a big difference. Your ssl fx g384 doesn't need a computer to work. Your microphone doesn't need drivers on a computer to work, and no matter what os version or if you're now using a 128 bit windows system (eh maybe one day) Your microphone will still work. But a computer who talks to an other computer needs a translator (drivers) when they are not from the same place or time, or just to talk properly together. And there will come a time if it's not there yet, when once one of your fader fails, or rotary control (under the knob) fails, you won't be able to replace it because the part is no longer available. Who knows, maybe that has some weight in their plans for longevity of their products, maybe not either. But it's not because one of your analogue board still works now that it's still supported and would be repaired by ssl if the pieces are still available. I know for a fact that they wouldn't since they have a policy of 9 years from production date to end support for their products.

That's the thing - it's been commonplace for decades for custom shops to modify, improve, and repair the equipment we use.

In some cases the original manufacturers were / are still around, and in some cases the product was still current, and "supported".

In other cases, it was out of necessity, as either the companies are no longer in existence, or never offered any "support" beyond the basic consumer rights for a piece of equipment designed for a specific task.

Avid are not going to use their very limited resources, supporting and testing the Control|24 now, or in the future.

Avid are not going to waste any additional resources having a team of lawyers scouring the internet, and trying to get cease and desist orders issued, or sue individuals who freely disseminate a custom made driver for the Pro Tools community to use.

Avid aren't going to comment, one way or the other, over whether or not they advocate the user base actively furthering the Control|24's longevity - be that writing new drivers, repairing faders, or improving the monitoring signal path.

Collectively, "We" are now that custom shop.

Avid have done nothing to "break" the Control|24, they just aren't continuing to "support" it.

The only thing they could do to "break" the Control|24, would be to actively, and aggressively obstruct the Pro Tools community from creating, and disseminating a custom driver.

That's a highly unlikely stance for them to take, and impossible in practical terms for them to implement, should they even wish to.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM

This is my first time to post anything to the forum. I do have a few views on the incompatibility of Pro Tools 11 and the Control 24.

I have a small project studio using Pro Tools 10 and the Control 24. I started using Pro Tools with 8LE as my first purchase. I have purchased upgrades consistently with every new release of Pro Tools. I have even purchased Pro Tools 11 before I found out it would not work with the Control 24. Like most musicians, I want the latest features as soon as I can get them.

Of course, we all know that there are two things that drive the release of new products. There are the updates in technology, but most importantly to companies like Avid, it is the business of making more money in order to stay in business. I am sure Avid is already working on Pro Tools 13 or 14 now and they probably have 12 well on the way to a release. They aren't going to give you too many updates in technology at one time because this would greatly reduce their ability to make more money. Rest assured, Avid isn't concerned about the folks that have Control 24 boards, they are only concerned about whether or not the time and effort to make this board compatible would make them more money, or would the decision not to support the board make them more money.

Avid could not care less that many of us have the Control 24 which is actually good for nothing except as a Pro Tools controller. In addition, many, like myself, have hundreds or even thousands of dollars tied up in custom made desks that house the Control 24 and are not built to fit anything else. I don't really know what drove Avid's decision not to develop drivers for the Control 24. I cannot see where it would have been that costly or that difficult to do so since the Control 24 is simply a controller. I don't have the technological expertise to develop software, but I am hopeful that someone who does will do so and make it available to those like myself who would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for the ability to use the Control 24 with Pro Tools 11 and future updates. If not, then I guess I will be using Pro Tools 10 for some time to come.

Although there are new features available on Pro Tools 11, I can use PT10 just as well. Realistically, you can produce quality as good on earlier versions as you can later versions. The later versions just make a few things more convenient. We all wish for the day when the upgrades in convenience will bring back the quality of sound that the use of programs like Pro Tools has taken away.

I do think Avid has made a mistake that will cost them dearly in the future. They will sell less and less upgrades as time goes on because users like myself will stop buying. Many will look at the hardware specific to Pro Tools that Avid is now selling and realize that the cost will be prohibitive compared to the uncertainty of Avid's support for that hardware.

Some on this forum have supported Avid's decision citing that the Control 24 is still good and usable for PT10 and earlier versions, and that is true. However, we all want the latest and greatest IF we can afford it. Companies like Avid make more money off the amateur and hobby musicians than off the professionals. Those kinds of people who worked and saved their money for something like the Control 24 will take this decision like a slap in the face by Avid. They may not be very vocal and Avid will probably never hear from them, but rest assured that Avid will lose many times over the amount of money they could have made by consideration for many of their once loyal customers.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Avid have done nothing to "break" the Control|24, they just aren't continuing to "support" it.
Technically Avid didn't "break" the Control 24, they intentionally rendered it inoperable with PT 11 by not supplying a driver for it. It's the same thing to me.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Could the OP or a moderator please change the title of this thread to 'Control|24 or ProControl with Pro Tools 11'?

ProControl owners are even more affected by Avid's decision then Control|24 owners because the loss of money is much bigger + I know about ProControl owners that are looking for this thread but can't find it.

Thank you!

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
Could the OP or a moderator please change the title of this thread to 'Control|24 or ProControl with Pro Tools 11'?

ProControl owners are even more affected by Avid's decision then Control|24 owners because the loss of money is much bigger + I know about ProControl owners that are looking for this thread but can't find it.

Thank you!
+1