Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 PM

Default Acronis Help

Is there any way to install a previous image on a new motherboard?

The reason I am asking is 2 fold and both are sort of hypothetical.

If your mother board goes out and you have to replace it would the images install?

What if you wanted to get a new I7 and keep on trucking but only faster.

I know some crazy questions but this part is unclear for me. I am looking at some upgrading in the months to come and want to know if I have to re-install everything. I also want to know if my motherboard ever goes out if I will ever be able to use older images if needed. If not I can clear the drives out of all the images I have made over the years.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 08-29-2009, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Acronis Help

I myself wouldn't do it. Your just asking for problems. What about drivers etc?

New system = fresh new install of everything then Image it all.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 PM

So basically as long as your motherboard holds up your images are good. If it fails you are sol? Can you confirm?

tHANKS sHAN. How ya doin buddy? I thought you went to the darkside

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 08-30-2009, 01:47 AM

Shan is right, it is better with a clean install!

An image is on a hard drive, but when you change the mobo you need different drivers!
There are people who were able to install a new mobo, hooked up their old HD, installed the new chip set drivers and got it going. But you can run into all sorts of trouble...

So recommended is: play it clean.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
So basically as long as your motherboard holds up your images are good. If it fails you are sol? Can you confirm?
Certainly not SOL... the image is still worth it's weight in gold even with a motherboard failure. You can always load up the old system image as a virtual secondary drive (a nifty Acronis feature) and recover all files to a new, freshly installed operating system. Admittedly not as quick and easy as it would be with a drive failure instead of motherboard... but having that original data imaged is essential for getting your old system data fully recovered... even if it is the hard way.

Now, if it's a planned motherboard change/upgrade, it is very much possible to make the switch without a complete reinstall.
(*Disclaimer* as already stated above, especially when building a stable PT/DAW platform, a fresh install is always the best option for the casual builder if possible. Also, the following is XP specific. I have yet to experiment with this process under Vista.)

I have had two situations just this year where my client wanted a complete system upgrade (motherboard/processor, etc..) but didn't have all of the installation disc's for their installed software.... some of which were long out of print but still relied on by the user.

Prior to making the motherboard switch, (and after imaging the current working system as a precaution) carefully go through your Device Manager and replace ALL motherboard/chipset specific drivers (drive controller's, any onboard display adapter, etc.) with generic Microsoft drivers, and completely uninstall onboard secondary peripherals that are motherboard specific but not necessary boot items... such as NIC, firewire, USB and sound.

Shut down and install the new hardware.
On first boot with the newly installed motherboard, install the driver package for the updated motherboard and you will be good to go.

Missing any of the specific drivers for the old motherboard will cause a no boot HAL failure 99% of the time so make sure to go through the Device Manager with a fine toothed comb prior to the upgrade.

Expect the need to reactivate your XP licence. If the automatic reactivation fails, choose the phone in option and explain to M$ that it's a hardware replacement on the same computer as the old activation. They will happily provide a new activation.

Good luck-
Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks guys. I just want to know my options. I always heard that your images are only good until the MOBO fails.

DAW
-
Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I always heard that your images are only good until the MOBO fails.
That is true only regarding the use of the image as a direct replacement for a new system drive. However, as I stated above, all your prized personalized files and folders contained on that image can easily be restored to your new system. It can be time consuming, but you'll certainly be very pleased to have that old image to work from in the event of a catastrophic hardware failure.

So... backup, backup, backup.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. I just want to know my options. I always heard that your images are only good until the MOBO fails.

Theres always the option of finding the same exact motherboard on ebay. I swapped boards on a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and migrated the drive with no issues. Even though the board was exactly the same it dected that the hardware (Lan chip etc) had changed and reloaded all the exsisting drivers. No issues but it did need to be reactived.

I recommend a clean install if the hardware is being changed.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Question regarding Acronis Image: Can more than one PC HD Image be stored on the same external HD? Also, Is the image backup the same size as the actual data imaged?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akakpaws View Post
Question regarding Acronis Image: Can more than one PC HD Image be stored on the same external HD? Also, Is the image backup the same size as the actual data imaged?
Yes you can put as many images as will fit on a drive but I keep mine on a USB drive (like WD passport 300 gig). I load them up and then buy another one. I keep them archived by date on each image. For example if I made one today it would be titled 083009_CS Dual Bup.

The Image size is the same size as what you actually have on the hard drive unless you use their standard compresion. I change that to use NO compression. That is the only default setting I change. It is really self explainatory

DAW
-