Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 02:07 PM

Default drum editor

Hello,

I used to have FLStudio for writting drum patterns in ProTools. However, I do not like it anymore as it does not allow finer resolution than 16, no triplets etc.

Can you suggest me any other drum editor? I am mostly interested on physical (acoustic) drum sounds. I have also tried the Reason Adapted that come with Digi002 but I have lost my 3 serials (due to format) and I am pi***d off with it! Moreover, I did not find it as user-friendly as FLStudio.

I have PTLE 6.4 and I was also wondering whether the MIDI capabilities of 6.7 include any drum editor...

best,
xda
Old 01-31-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: drum editor

Quote:
I have PTLE 6.4 and I was also wondering whether the MIDI capabilities of 6.7 include any drum editor..
You mean like this.

You can do drum grid style editing in Pro Tools. Select 'single note' view in your midi tracks.

And you can have 64th note triplets if you want.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks, that really opens new horizons to me

However, any other drum-machine suggestion would be helpful as well.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:36 PM

We have lots of RTAS plugins that can do drums. DKFH and BFD are popular. Sampletank and there are a few more. I'm sure some other DUC guys can chime in here and add to the list. I use Reason, Sampletank, and BFD myself.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-31-2005, 03:49 PM

With some fancy editing you can do it all in Pro Tools LE. The previous posts mentioned that you can do it with midi. But if you're anything like me (as you said you like acoustic drums) midi may not be the best sounding way to go. (I pay no disrespect to beloved MIDI in saying that) I just wanted to remind you and others that you can do all the work with audio samples and produce quality beats with a little time and care.

Create a bunch of audio tracks for each part of the beat in Grid mode. You'll see this is similar to the delightfully userfriendly program FruityLoops and more so to its father program, the much more sophisticated, Acid. After you've made the beat highlight all the tracks and consolidate them into one drum track. You'll have a sweet sounding beat that will be tight and you wont have ever touched an additional program.