Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 HD suddenly starting up in Chinese. How to get the GUI back to English?

Edit: Solved it by removing Chinese and only having English in the Language & Region system preference pane.

I have both English and Chinese keyboards in MacOS but for some reason the whole GUI of Pro Tools just randomly decided to switch to Chinese. I'm using the English system keyboard so I'm not sure what the heck is going on. Never did this before. Any ideas how to get it back to English?
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone

Last edited by Focuret; 12-24-2016 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Solved.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 HD suddenly starting up in Chinese. How to get the GUI back to Engli

I suddenly started having the same issue today. I don't currently have Chinese keyboard input enabled (although I have in the past). I did have the Emoji & Symbols input option enabled, but even disabling that, leaving only the US keyboard, and relaunching Pro Tools hasn't helped yet.

Will report back if I find anything.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 HD suddenly starting up in Chinese. How to get the GUI back to Engli

Found the answer, courtesy of this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=259328

In short, rather than using the standard OS localization features, Pro Tools has its own language setting under Preferences. It took a bit of trial and error, since I don't read Chinese fluently, but it's under the first tab of the Preferences window, so it was fairly obvious once I found the right menu item.

Still no idea how this got set in the first place, as it's certainly not something I would have any reason to change myself. All I can think is that the setting somehow hitched a ride on a session file from one of my students or something. Thankfully I wasn't under deadline when it happened!