Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Default AVID acquires Euphonix

Interesting...........

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ID-1145661.htm
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Re: AVID acquires Euphonix

yeah... what are they up to?

New Icon line?

the cynic in me says they should hire some more programmers to fix their software instead of acquiring companies... but... I'm also curious to see where this goes....
Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Must. Consume. Everything.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 PM

This isn't good news at all. They can afford to go around buying up companies and become a monopoly in the controller market but they cant hire developers to fix and maintain the Pro Tools software at a faster pace. I'm not liking Avid at all much these days.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 PM

They now have better control surfaces at their disposal, but my god, if they behave the way they have, they could destroy interoperability. Why the hell else did they mention that in their press release ?

"We are commited...." is often a sign of "We'll kill it off if it suits us". Man, I hope our post production eco system didn't just shrink. Competition is good for us, not for them. The full quote is: "We remain committed to driving interoperability and modularity across a vast ecosystem of Avid and third-party creative hardware and software solutions." When were they ever committed to anything open on the audio side ?

Tom, they can't keep their software in order! What the hell am I going to use a System 5 console or MC 5 Pro controller on, if there's no usable software ?!! Nuendo ? It's more likely they'll try to kill that off at all cost. I'm afraid of losing options more than ever now.

"For existing Euphonix customers, Avid will continue to support EuCon..." Existing, not future customers.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Sorry - but I think this could be a very cool thing. Euphonix makes excellent ergonomic consoles with great metering. Add Pro Tools integration to that and you could have a monster mixing experience.
Also, if they do stay with the Eucon thing, I would love my ICON to be able to control Logic too.
My $ .02
Old 04-11-2010, 01:26 PM

If they can afford to keep buying all these companies up, they must be making crazy profits somewhere. I have been reading so many negative post on the Le platform it's sickening, after all I posted afew myself out of frustration of the business practices of the avid company. I guess we can all just shut up because avid is making crazy money despite all of our whinning which I think is warranted because of there deliberately crippling le software when native power has surpassed HD. Our cries have fallen on deaf ears. After reading Avid has acquired euphonix I now see they are a financial powerhouse that cannot be stop. I will try not to make a negative post again about Avids crippling of the le platform. If i dont like, it I'll just buy some other DAW or just shut my pie hole because Avid is not going to change despite of what le users say or think. I have mixed emotions on avid acuiring euphonix. It seems they can afford to do what they want to no matter how much le users cry and complain, me being one of them whiners. Good luck Avid
Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoring_guy View Post
Sorry - but I think this could be a very cool thing. Euphonix makes excellent ergonomic consoles with great metering. Add Pro Tools integration to that and you could have a monster mixing experience.
Also, if they do stay with the Eucon thing, I would love my ICON to be able to control Logic too.
My $ .02
I'm worried about them producing anything worthwhile at all in terms of interoperability. Their track record in this area is not encouraging in the least.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM

This is great news for PT users.
Now we'll see properly designed control surfaces that make sense.
When Digi design hired Rich Nevens from Euphonix, he brought along some of the best automation improvements Pro-Tools ever saw.

And now with Euphonix and their know-how, I hope to see soem amazing products released in the next few years.
Just the Patchnet on the Euphonix, haivng that in PT's woudl eb amazing.
Or their idead of screens for meters etc.

I mean, does ANYONE here use the meters on an Icon?
They should have been down by the faders, like on the Euphonix System 5.

The Icon is Ok. But it could have been so much better, had they involved ANYONE who actually works on the these things.

Now they have just bought a great amount of research and talent.

Living the dream.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
When Rich Nevens hired Rich Nevens form Euphonix, he brought along some of the best automation improvements Pro-Tools ever saw.
What an amazing co-inky dink that Rich hired someone with his same name. What are the odds? Does it make Secret Santa confusing? Does one of them need a number in his e-mail for distinguishing?

It COULD be a thing....time (and not marketing speak) will tell. I can see it improving controller options immensely. And I agree that AVID needs to put resources into fixing things in the current products and get a handle on Post Needs! Let's hope this is not a distraction.

Bad news is it reduces competition.....

But it makes me wonder if Euphonix was in trouble...........
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash