Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Logic 8

I heard a rumour that I just started that Digi is paying Apple under the table NOT to port Logic to PC.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 AM

WHY ?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:14 AM

I went to the Apple Store and Bought Logic Studio 8 on Saturday. I also Posted my 002 on E-bay. I still have an mbox for mixing in ProTools, but moving forward I think I am a Logic user. Don't get me wrong I love the PT software for a variety of reasons, but I also disdain it for a variety of reason that have been previously outlined.

The Price of $499.00 (retail) you cannot beat that for all that is inlcuded.

Thank you Apple.

Sorry Digidesign, You are missing a huge opportunity to sell a quality product to the "mid-Level" artist engineers. Digi003, was a huge disappointment for your loayal Digi002 customers that were ready to make a move to the next level, but did not have the resources to commit to a HD system. If you looked at this user progressin gtowards an HD system, you may be able to sell them an HD in 3-5 years. I understand it is critical for shareholders to get their money but, without customers, there are no jobs, hardware/software and no AVID corporation.

Please address your mid-level customers soon or you will lose them for a long time if not forever.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 AM

You lost some credibility when you said Apple is a dying company.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM

You make very good points, but the fact that Digi is "Responding" to the competition instead of leading them, indicates their overiding concern for Status Quo and not innovating for their LE and even the HD users. Apple, like them or not are an innovative company.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 PM

Apple has taken their time with Logic Studio 8 because they have been laying down the ground work for future improvements. Don't forget that Leopard 64 bit will be here next month and who knows what extra things that may bring. Apple may be poised deliver a severe kick in the pants to it's competitors. They've agressively priced it and they are hoping to be able to gain very good footing in the market. I think somebody will finally give Digi something to worry about. Digi is not out of the game though. They have their sister company Sibelius which I'm hoping they are looking to integrate with very tightly. This integration could yield very exciting results beefing up the MIDI side of PT that many have been complaining about.

I will be purchasing the Logic upgrade because I already own LP7 and heck, the upgrade is the price of two jam packs so why not? If I was a new user, I'd wait until after christmas to see what updates and advances come with Leopard, and to see how Digidesign will respond in terms of price points and Sibelius integration. I love Logic and this new version is exciting but the truth is I love Sibelius way more. So Digidesign, please lift some of the silly restrictions and come up with a Sibelius bridge or something. I'd love to have uninhibited audio tools alongside being able to edit midi using traditional notation. I hate looking at grids when I'm trying to write music lol.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
...Here's the problem - and the solution - in a nutshell: PRO TOOLS IS OLD CODE! As proof, here are some quotes from an older thread...
Correct on the code being very old. Pro Tools 5.0 was announced by Digidesign in September 1999. It was in development prior to that for over 18 months which now puts the code base back into 1997. It will soon be 2008. This was a major upgrade, not a rewrite of the code from the ground up, which puts the code base back even further.

In my opinion, it is probably so patched, that in order to make even a simple change, one would have to go very deep into the code. Having said that, Logic 8 is not a total rewrite of the code from the ground up itself.

And yes, I still have my PT 5.0 disks for Mac and PC. Not to mention, my old 001 and PIII have been revived by using Reaper for the front end DAW which has features that put LE to shame.

Shane

The only Reference I could find for any non-believers.

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Hello. To expand a little on this, not only is Pro Tools old code, it is old Mac code that has been ported over to Windows. Anyone that's worked with Pro Tools on Windows from the start knows how big a difference there was in the past when it came to resources and development devoted to each version. In more recent times it seems like they are somewhat equal on both platforms, but Digidesign was and is a Mac company first.

Oddly enough, Pro Tools LE was launched a month or so after the article Shan links.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM

The first Protools LE. Don't.Mention.That.POS.please.

Single keycommands only for the TDM version. A real Digi treasure that one.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The first Protools LE. Don't.Mention.That.POS.please.

Single keycommands only for the TDM version. A real Digi treasure that one.
Hahahah! Yeah! It was definitely "Limited Edition". Dont forget, that while all other DAWs included a verb, we had to pay $500 for Dverb! I still have the 3.5 authorization floppy somewhere.

But ya, those single key commands were quite the treasure back in the day, but now we have DAWs that have surpassed that with full blown user definable single key macros that speed up production greatly.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit