Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Will Avid abandon DSP processing?

I've noticed a strong movement toward the native processing. HD native is only one part of it. It seems that all the software producers are trying to get money before a big change. What is happening in the near future? As a professional using and investing a lot of money in HD technology I would like to know where Avid is aiming.
I still believe in DSP processing and still a lot of plugins that I love and use are TDM only like Eventide, Tc electronics, Virus...
And I didn't find any tech note explaining the new hd native mixer and it's internal way of working.
Is anybody aware of all of that?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Default Re: AWill Avid abandon DSP processing?

LET'S HOPE SO!

It's going to be more and more about "Pro Tools the SOFTWARE" from here on out. They should put most resources into the PT app development (not damn UNNECESSARY DSP hardware) and just pull way ahead.

I really believe the entire future of PT lies in the greatness of the software. PT has the best foundation...pull it even farther ahead and professionals will continue to pay more. I hope for the day that PT is so much better than anything else that paying $7000, FOR JUST THE PT SOFTWARE, will seem like a no-brainer steal....no Avid hardware necessary.

Why do I know that external DSP is doomed and is just a throwback from inefficient and soon-to-be-outdated design? Because I know that audio throughput is not the bottleneck, DSP is the bottleneck. Because I know the only plugins that need to be active are the one you're currently adjusting or on a live input. (just a handful in most situations) Because I know that your plug-in laden tracks can be rendered into audio seamlessly and invisibly in the background. This is the way DAWs should operate...with brains, not brawn. Five years from now we could have huge sessions on 6GHzx4 Mac Minis with $7000 PT ilok dongles, no Accel 3 brawn BS ever needed again.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 PM

There has been a lot of discussion about this lately, so just check these threads. I personally believe that reliable DSP based systems is what sets Avid apart of the competition and they will keep the TDM alive. Don't forget that Venue systems are DSP based TDM systems and have taken the live audio world by storm and these systems need to evolve at some point soon. This can be done only AFTER PT TDM has been updated so think about it. Modern native systems are nice, but do we really want to change our computers every year and go thru the optimization and all that over and over again?? I sure don't. I want to invest into a system that will serve me at least 5 years or better 7, something like the current system has been doing.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Yes, I agree. That's why I invested in a large pro tools hd3 accel system that is giving me lot of satisfaction in terms of quality and affidability. And I hope you're right. But I can read some signs that It may become marginal. It's still important in terms of large sesisons but I can see that Avid is not as efficient as before in keeping the system fit
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Well the Venue line is DPS and I doubt it going to change any time soon

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM

DSP is not going anywhere...

It's only going to get better.

If they were thinking about dropping it... why did they just add it to the new line of MBoxes? Why does the 11R have it? Why would they put it in brand new products if they're intending to do away with it?

TDM will remain Pro Tools' high end line. It will get a refresh soon.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
It's going to be more and more about "pro tools the software" from here on out.
nonsense!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
DSP is not going anywhere...

It's only going to get better.

If they were thinking about dropping it... why did they just add it to the new line of MBoxes? Why does the 11R have it? Why would they put it in brand new products if they're intending to do away with it?

TDM will remain Pro Tools' high end line. It will get a refresh soon.
I'm sure TDM is not going anywhere soon....but...

Neither the 11R or Mbox as anything whatsoever to do with TDM, which is an outdated architecture. DSP is fine, but I look to AVID for something new at some point...without the tiny delay compensation limits of the old cards, pain in the rear gain staging, and nightmarish RTAS and TDM plug in compatibility within a session.

TH
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
AWill Avid abandon DSP processing?
1) And start screwing up like Logic and Co....

2) WHY should they....

They offer PT HD Native and PT HD.

Why cut either if clients are willing to invest in either !

Would make no sense - business wise
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM

In native world Logic will always have edge over PT as they are made by the same company that does the actual computer hardware. It's interesting to see what the future brings for Logic when Le Bolt's ideas start to show in Logic. I sure hope Avid can keep up with times and do the right thing whatever it is.

As a side note I got the new Mbox today, must say the built in tuner is great, but man, the built in reverb is the worst reverb I have ever heard Not that it matters too much but still, how is it possible for Avid to do a reverb that is so bad when even D-Verb is very nice