Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM

Default My first complaint about PT 8 is...

I like the new stuff digi made, very slick. But, I have one issue out of the box that I noticed almost immediately:

Shift+scroll wheel is way slow!

Is it just me? I remember navigating a lot faster across my timeline with PT 7. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity?

-Justin
Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 PM

Default Re: My first complaint about PT 8 is...

I've been annoyed since PT 7 when they added all the right click menu's in. Slow's down my work flow. I used to hold control or Alt and left or right click things to do different commands and now when I try to do a lot of this stuff I have to right click and choose from the drop down menu which is a lot slower. I do like how they fixed the record enable button. In PT 6 it used to be just a Circle that you would click and it would turn red, then I believe in 6.4 they changed it to a box with an R in it which was really cheesy. I haven't tried Shift + scroll wheel yet.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 AM

One huge problem:

Upon instantiation PT 8 doesn’t remember the shutdown screen configuration like PT 7 did. It keeps trying to open on the far left monitor (I have 3 and the far left is for plugs). PT 8 opens in the maximize setting and won’t automatically stretch itself across the two monitors I use for edit and mix. If there is a way to get start-up screen memory please let me know.

The startup splash screen opens in the correct monitor (the primary one) but the program doesn’t.

Thanks so much,

Tom
Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 AM

This is happened in 7.4 as well.
Have you tried setting the windows like you want and then closing PT using Alt+F4?
this worked for me in 7.4
Old 12-18-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Whritenour View Post
I've been annoyed since PT 7 when they added all the right click menu's in. Slow's down my work flow.
I am very much anti right click anything. That was a computer trend that started in the 90's and needs to stay there. Apple decides to create a new two button mouse and Digi goes right click crazy. Keep that old and dated computer trend forgotten in the 90's and advance with something new. Shortcut keys will always be faster.

shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I am very much anti right click anything.
Interesting. I usually agree heartily with you about everything. But the right-click features were one of my favorite improvements in PT in recent years. So, say you just recorded a stereo submix comprised of a group of 20 tracks, and now you want to deactive and hide them. What could be more intuitive than highlight the group then right-click and select "deactivate and hide" from a popup menu? I think that's brilliant. If there were a shortcut for it, it wouldn't save an appreciable amount of time, even if you did it 60 times a day. There are already more shortcuts (that I need) than I can remember, especially since I have to remember them separately for Mac at work and XP at home. Trying to remember the shortcut for "deactivate and hide selected tracks" would take me longer than the right-click method. 'Course, I'm over 40 but.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB

Last edited by daeron80; 12-18-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: minor grammar and spelling
Old 12-19-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Interesting. I usually agree heartily with you about everything. But the right-click features were one of my favorite improvements in PT in recent years. So, say you just recorded a stereo submix comprised of a group of 20 tracks, and now you want to deactive and hide them. What could be more intuitive than highlight the group then right-click and select "deactivate and hide" from a popup menu? I think that's brilliant. If there were a shortcut for it, it wouldn't save an appreciable amount of time, even if you did it 60 times a day. There are already more shortcuts (that I need) than I can remember, especially since I have to remember them separately for Mac at work and XP at home. Trying to remember the shortcut for "deactivate and hide selected tracks" would take me longer than the right-click method. 'Course, I'm over 40 but.
I have an AutoHotKey shortcut assigned to that...one key press and done. Blazing fast and use it every day. You should try it. Yes it is very handy.

The "Rename" right click for I/O and sends is pretty handy and useful, but I would rather just click in the value field and enter the number or rename like every other program.

Having said that, there is a point where right click menus are ridiculous. This is a waste of code and man power that could have been used to give us delay compensation. Right click menus 3 submenus deep to change tools? That's just getting silly.

It's way past time for user definable shortcuts and macros. The current default is laid out for post and editors. If I was a big MIDI composer, I would want a different key set. Hint hint Digi.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-19-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Right click menus 3 submenus deep to change tools? That's just getting silly.
Agreed.

Quote:
It's way past time for user definable shortcuts and macros.
YES! oh please oh please oh please! Fully customizable key bindings for every command like PEAK has.

And, hey, I'm in PT 8 hrs/day at work and avg maybe 15-20 hrs wk at home. So I'm right up there with ya. There are just some things I don't do often enough to remember keyboard shortcuts for, and for those, I need something faster than bumbling through layers of main menu items. That's where right clicks excel for me. Not a waste of code at all from my POV. I agree that automatic PDC should have been the higher priority, though. I think we'd be hard pressed to find any customer disagreeing with that.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I am very much anti right click anything. That was a computer trend that started in the 90's and needs to stay there. Apple decides to create a new two button mouse and Digi goes right click crazy. Keep that old and dated computer trend forgotten in the 90's and advance with something new. Shortcut keys will always be faster.

shane
Only faster for those who remember what they all are! However, the ones I do know and use, yes, I see your point. Shouldn't there be both methods available?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW View Post
Only faster for those who remember what they all are! However, the ones I do know and use, yes, I see your point. Shouldn't there be both methods available?
it took me a little while to get it all down, but after a while it was 2nd nature which button to hold down (ctrl or alt) then click either the left or right mouse button, and I got so used to it that now the right click menus slow me down. The other thing that slows me down is that when I'm using Vista it doesn't have the correct drivers for my mouse so I can't program the button by my thumb for "Delete" on XP it makes editing so quick along side of command focus with my default fades setup under preferences.