Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2014, 04:21 PM

Default Re: WAVES AAX-- You Don't Need an Active WUP Plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
http://www.waves.com/downloads/v9

To be clear, this is not a "trick" or a workaround. AAX compatibility was added to V9. If you own V9, you are entitled to download and make use of V9. You will continue to have full access to all future V9 updates.

When V10 comes out, it's WUP or nothing. Until that point, you're getting what you paid for.
Exactly. WUP is for version upgrades only. They have been on V9 for almost 3 years. Once version 10 threatens to be released then you can all update your WUP.

In the case of the Abbey Road Collection the WUP was reset after the the TG was added, which was a purchased update. So if you have the Abbey Road Collection and bought the TG then the entire set's WUP date updates to a year from the purchase date of the the recent addition. This also happened for me when I updated to the full collection from individual plugins. All serial numbers were updated too.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM

Waves isn't doing anything shady. They are operating as normal.

If you own a V9 license, you get 9, regardless of wether it was before or after AAX.
Just go to http://www.waves.com/downloads/v9 and download the latest AAX enabled installer.

It should be noted that the installer now uses/makes a different folder hierarchy (I believe this came with the latest, or installer before latest) - so I would suggest if you are not already up to date, to do a full uninstall and reinstall of the plugs (This does not take long anyway)

^The above may answer the issue previously mentioned about the installer asking for the waves plugins folder (This folder changed on the new installer... same location, just a new name) - Instead of being named 'Plug-Ins', it is now named 'Plug-Ins V9'

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
...everyone who have V9 can update without WUP'ing to the absolute latest Very Sneaky indeed
Why is this "sneaky"? This is how I've always understood it. And, you don't need current WUP necessarily for you're plugs to work. I used my V7 SSL Collection from PT7 thru 9 and never paid WUP. It is the lack of understanding of WUP, that gets Waves the bad rap...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Once version 10 threatens to be released then you can all update your WUP.
Even then, if what you have already continues to work, no need to update. If updates(changes, add-ons) to your current plugs are added w/V10, you won't have those. But what you have will continue to work. You only NEED to update when, e.g., a new version of PT renders your current Waves version, not current. And since V9 made the jump to AAX, you'll likely not NEED to update for some time...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 AM

Thank you to all who helped clarify this for me. I have now successfully updated all three of my proTools DAWs with AAX Waves Mercury TDM+ Studio Classics Collection.

RESULTS:
Now is not really the time for me to be shelling out for the WUP Waves Update Plan on three Mercury TDM+SCC bundles, so my WUPs are still expired and therefore stuck at version 9.2.7. When I installed from the V9r22 off-line installer, to my knowledge I installed every single Waves plugin there is except the Abbey Road plugins and these recent releases:

WLM Plus
Vitamin
Scheps 73
MetaFilter
GTRSoloToolRack
CODEX
TG12345
RS56
Reel ADT
J37
KingsMic
Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Why is this "sneaky"? This is how I've always understood it. And, you don't need current WUP necessarily for you're plugs to work. I used my V7 SSL Collection from PT7 thru 9 and never paid WUP. It is the lack of understanding of WUP, that gets Waves the bad rap...
Well they (Waves) said the first time around that we had to be WUP'd to get AAX64 bit support and then changed that and that was Sneaky and pretty inaccurate obviously!

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-01-2014, 11:07 AM

I also haven't WUP'd for ages, so I don't have Vitamin, Metafilter, CODEX... Damn you Waves, had you developed AAX-DSP there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Well they (Waves) said the first time around that we had to be WUP'd to get AAX64 bit support and then changed that and that was Sneaky and pretty inaccurate obviously!

Christopher
AAX was a part of the V9 release. So, if you weren't WUP'd through the release of V9, then you didn't get it. If you were, you did. So far as I know, that never changed...

Old 12-02-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
AAX was a part of the V9 release. So, if you weren't WUP'd through the release of V9, then you didn't get it. If you were, you did. So far as I know, that never changed...
Yes but they were sneaky in how they advertised it. They said anyone AAX was for anyone current with WUP, implying that you needed to do that even if you were on 9, and that wasn't the case. That's what Christopher was referring to.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
They said anyone AAX was for anyone current with WUP
I can see how this is ambiguous, but I don't think it was purposefully so. If your WUP covered v9 (current) then you were good to go.